White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:43 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
A freaking stripe down the pants? Yeah, that's what I'm telling you. I knew there was a stripe, but that's all, because I DIDN'T CARE. I find it amazing that anyone does! Again, it's a freaking stripe down the pants!
Nellie, what you did was border-line trolling, and you won't own up to it. You got called out on it, you're getting pwned here (as the youngsters say), and you won't admit it.

Whether you DIDN'T CARE about the change or not is irrelevant. Numerous people who posted in this thread before you recognized the change, find it interesting, like to know the reason why it happened, and like to comment on it. Good grief, there are entire websites devoted to this kind of stuff (Chris Creamer's Sports Logos) and blogs (Uni-Watch on ESPN.com). Scott Reifert made a comment on it in his blog on Whitesox.com. People follow uniform changes. It's an interesting niche in sports culture. This is a Sox message board. We're allowed to talk about White Sox related items. Uniform changes interest some people.

What you did was come into the thread and say, "meh, who cares." Nobody is saying this is a world-changing event or as important as North Korea aiming missiles at people. It's just an interesting discussion point.

What I'm astounded by is that you're claiming that you couldn't describe the pant stripe that the Sox wore for 22 years and don't pay that much "attention to detail" and "didn't care", yet, in the '83 uniform thread, you seemed pretty damned opinionated and informed on those unis, which they wore for only five years some 30 years ago:

Quote:
Maybe the belt instead of the wide elastic waist band?
Quote:
No, I was used to much baggier uniforms from the 50's and 60's. I never liked the skin tight uniforms.

I know I don't like the long pants. And I REALLY don't like that some wear them, some don't. The team should all be the same.

Yeah, the belt was a significant improvement over the wide elastic that looked like a girdle.
You noticed the waist band 30 years ago and found that important enough to comment on, but you didn't notice the pants stripe they wore for the last 20 years and appear to think it's a worthless discussion.

How about this...if you have nothing to add to the thread, perhaps don't butt in and try to piss all over it.

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I saw on Facebook today that the Minnesota Vikings changed the belts that hold up their uniform pants for next season.

http://www.bringmethenews.com/2013/0...-belt-buckles/

All hail The Rick
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
What's the point of being upset other than just another reason to throw stones at the marketing department for making a change without getting approval from Sox fans? It's a ****ing stripe! Who cares about the reasoning for doing it? It really amazes me the things Sox fans choose to bitch about or be annoyed with, when it has absolutely nothing to do with the play on the field or even merchandise for sell.
Because it's an overall reflection of how the organization is run. I mean, sure a stripe on the side of pants is, by itself, no big deal, but it's just another in a long line of silly mistakes they keep making for no discernable reason. The diamond sock. The Pirates video. Dynamic pricing. Pushing Nancy out. I could go on and on. I guess it boils down to how you think the Sox are overall run as an organization. If you think they're doing a good job overall then yeah, it probably doesn't bug you, and that's fine. But for people who see a consistent series of mistakes, it's maybe just another in a long line.

Oh, and I will also say that I think the stripe does make a difference. I personally think the pants and jersey do look worse with only a black stripe. If you look around the league, most teams that have some kind of stripe or piping running down their pant legs go with more than one color. There's a reason they do that. It just looks better.

0-1

LAST GAME: April 12 - Indians 12, Sox 6
NEXT GAME: April 16 vs. Boston
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
Seriously.

I'd love to see the exhaustive market study that was conducted that led to this decision. It's just constant TINKERING and MEDDLING. Just stop it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
I can't decide what would be worse: If the Sox actually did an exhaustive market study on this issue, or if they didn't and made the changes anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I'll advocate the return of the Diamond Sock before this.
Quote:
It's not a big deal. I didn't notice it myself... But that's kind of the point. Why tinker with something so minuscule that wasn't a problem in the first place?
WHY THE HELL DID THE WHITE SOX DO THIS? The SOX road uniform, with the eventual tweaking of making the Diamond Sock on the sleeve bordered in black to make it stand out, was one the most beautiful AND noticable road uniforms in baseball. The distinctive white/black stripe on the pants AND the jersey, along with the script CHICAGO, made it easy to distinguish the south-siders from every other team on the highlights. The road gray and alternate black jersey are easily 1 and 1A, especially because of the matching stripes.

This move absolutely makes no sense, like when the SoX decided a market study needed to be done in regards to the Diamond Sock patch. This team continues to befuddle and estrange me. The road and alternate were PERFECT. *** is going on at 35th & Shields? you want Branding?
Fix the damn Home uniform. Make it look more like the 59 jersey. Or even the 72 jersey. Put the Diamond Sock on the home. There was nothing more
to be done .......... Change for the sake of change is as ridiculous as doing nothing at all. But when you change and end up Messing up the look and doing more damage ........... well thats White Sox Baseball for you.

My anger here, is that there were 1,089 other things that need Marketings attention, this was very far down the list, and Im quite shocked this was on their "problem" list to begin with
" The 2006 White Sox..... simply didn't have the hunger of the Twins or Tigers" - SunTimes columnist and SOX fan Richard Roeper
Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
It really amazes me the things Sox fans choose to bitch about or be annoyed with, when it has absolutely nothing to do with the play on the field or even merchandise for sell.
Really, Spawn? That really amazes you? After discussions for decades about the color of the damn seats at the ballpark, you're amazed that people want to talk about the uniforms?

At this point, I'm not even debating whether or not the stripe looks good or not. I don't think it was a necessary change, but it's not the end of the world. What I am AMAZED at is that some people here think we shouldn't be allowed to point out a change in the uniforms without being ridiculed. That's highly entertaining.
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar18 View Post
Fix the damn Home uniform.
Uh, wait, what is wrong with the home uniform? It's absolutely perfect. It's based on the gorgeous late '50s style uniforms but doesn't have any ridiculous colors that have no logical place on the jersey of a team called the WHITE Sox.
Tom Feargal Hagen

Uh oh, Henry is posting. Now I know we're in trouble......
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar18 View Post
WHY THE HELL DID THE WHITE SOX DO THIS?

Now this thread is complete. Hell yes.

WSI High Priest

Did we time warp back to 1995? Did the White Sox really do this?
White Sox front office really out of touch once again with what really
matters.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Uh, wait, what is wrong with the home uniform? It's absolutely perfect. It's based on the gorgeous late '50s style uniforms but doesn't have any ridiculous colors that have no logical place on the jersey of a team called the WHITE Sox.
Stylize the SOX logo to look like the 59/72 jersey.
aka, MAKE IT BIGGER SO YOU CAN SEE IT ON TV SCREENS (ie "Branding")
I often wondered why i preferred my 59 and my 72 game-worns,
until one day I stood them altogether.
THE LOGO IS 2" Bigger, and really stands out.
One of my favorite alltime pics, is from 2005, the sox are all at home plate
celebrating a walk-off win against the Dodgers, wearing the 1959 jerseys.....
the logo from the jerseys completely dominates and Jumps off the pages at you
An excellent logo.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
So if you don't even notice the change, why would it piss you off?

I used to think being on a condo board of directors was the worst job in the world. You get calls almost everyday from people complaining about something. Their apartment isn't warm enough, call a board member at 3 AM. They didn't pay their bill so the electricity was cutoff. Don't call ComEd and pay your bill, call a board member they can fix it. Clog your sink in the middle of the night. Call everyone on the condo board until someone fixes it for you. On top of that, you don't get paid.

I now think Brooks Boyer, even though he gets paid, has the worst job in the world. People complain about everything. A stripe on the pants is a marketing decision? Why? To make more money? How many White Sox road pants are sold in retail outlets every year? The only guy I see walking around town in a full uniform is Ronnie Woo Woo. I watch on an HD 46 inch Samsung, and unless I really am watching carefully, the subtraction of the white stripe is really not noticeable, and really doesn't have any effect on my enjoyment of the game. If it really upsets you that the Sox changed the stripe, even though you didn't even notice, you are just being pissed off to be pissed off. If you do notice and the subtraction of a white stripe on gray pants upsets you so much, maybe you need to take a step back and realize there are way more important things in life.
Oh, come on. Brooks Boyer is terrible at his job. There are very gifted sports marketers out there with great intuitions who manage to enhance the look, feel, and general market appeal of a franchise as opposed to do little crap that annoy fans in various ways. Brooks is not good at his job and when people bitch about him he is getting what he deserves. If he was half as competent as McDonough then these threads wouldn't pop up all the time and he wouldn't get thousands of emails bitching about all his decisions. Just because this particular uni issue doesn't irritate you personally doesn't mean Brooks hasn't turned into a hack marketer.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:01 AM
WSI High Priest

I find it RIDICULOUS, that the sox, in their infinite wisdom, somehow
have been wringing their collective hands trying to solve this seemingly
Elephant-in-the-room problem called The Road jersey

How about fix the concession stands so it doesnt take me 30 minutes to order something?
Fix the damn out of town scoreboard I dont even look at it its so annoying
How about fix the damn scoreboard itself. The Sox have basically 3 scoreboards in the outfield, all each showing you different stats from the same game............
How about "branding" your product at home, in the city of Chicago?
I really would love to have sat in on the conference calls, and boardroom meetings on this subject ............
Old 04-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Really, Spawn? That really amazes you? After discussions for decades about the color of the damn seats at the ballpark, you're amazed that people want to talk about the uniforms?
Seat colors changing? A huge difference that everyone can see.

Black and white stripe vs. black stripe on the pants the players wear that not even i'm guessing a quarter of the people watching the game would notice. Yeah. It's a bit ridiculous to me, but whatever.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
That was my favorite Sox jersey ever.
I'm NOT a fan of the vest look either ............

HOWEVER ................ It looked Amazing on the White Sox.
that look can only be pulled off by limited teams, and the SOX were one of them. Those vests brought the SOX a ton of luck back in 2005
I'd love to see the SOX wear those here and there again
Old 04-11-2013, 11:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Holy ****, Hangar is back.