White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Always great to win the opener plus maybe we can turn around the hex KC has had on us the last few years.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Great win, Chris Sale.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Wish we had more offense, but for now, I'll tip my cap to Chris Sale. Great win to be at.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 PM
WSI Regular

Default Nice Start

Pins and needles, and a good start.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:46 PM
WSI Guru

Got to hand it to MLB, the Sox franchise has lost fans six years straight...yet they schedule 16 home games in April for them. Amazing isn't it??? Talk about not being willing to help...and folks wonder why the Sox are pissed off at the schedule makers every year.

Just glad to get the win. I'll give them a mulligan today because it was so damn cold. If the Sox are still scoring one or two runs off this 'vaunted' Royals pitching staff in June (like they seemed to do a bunch last year) I'll be concerned.

You remember the last time the Sox opened the season with a 1-0 win don't you???

Lip
Old 04-01-2013, 06:55 PM
WSI Prelate

I love 1-0 White Sox wins. And today's game was so well played. Great pitcher. Great defense. An incredible play in a key situation by Gordon Beckham deserves mention. Such games don't require much offense to win, and today's solo home run meant something, especially coming on a 2-2 count with a high-strike-out pitcher facing a White Sox hitter who strikes out a bit too often.

It wasn't a perfect game. Nate Jones didn't do his job coming out of the pen, but White Sox had some margin for error with Matt Thornton coming up huge. I'm sure Addison Reed made some fans nervous by allowing a baserunner. And, really it could have been a two-run lead if Adan Dunn had put the ball in play in the bottom of the eighth, although it's not a given that Paul Konerko would have gotten the pitch he needed to hit a deep-enough fly if Alex Rios had been at third. It looked like Dunn could have lost track of the count. Still, pitching duels are usually lost by the teams that don't manufacture enough runs. Today, the Royals couldn't score a runner with one out and the bases loaded, and thanks to Tyler Flowers, it ended up costing them the game.

Flowers is no Posey, but in addition to driving in the only run, he handed a great start by Chris Sale, who really was the star of the game. And the Royals have some hitting.

A great way to start the season.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Sox exhibited why I expect them to outperform most projections. I think they have the best pitching in the AL, maybe in MLB. This staff has the potential to be one of the best the Sox have ever had and they've had some good ones in the past.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Got to hand it to MLB, the Sox franchise has lost fans six years straight...yet they schedule 16 home games in April for them. Amazing isn't it??? Talk about not being willing to help...and folks wonder why the Sox are pissed off at the schedule makers every year.

Just glad to get the win. I'll give them a mulligan today because it was so damn cold. If the Sox are still scoring one or two runs off this 'vaunted' Royals pitching staff in June (like they seemed to do a bunch last year) I'll be concerned.

You remember the last time the Sox opened the season with a 1-0 win don't you???

Lip
Yep! See post #7!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Only bad carpenters blame their tools

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

It was great to see the team find a way to beat a guy that don't walk people and scatters hits. We got a couple duck snorts and made some dazzling plays in the field. Sale hunkering down in the 3rd inning was big. I wouldn't have pitched to Francoeur in the 7th or 9th, but what do I know?

2014: 1-1
Old 04-01-2013, 07:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

This was the first Opening Day I attended. It was cold and bone-chilling, but it was worth it to see Chris Sale pitch. I'm really happy this guy is our ace and our future. We're going to contend in this division no doubt.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveIsHere View Post
Nothing like watching Dunn strikeout to ring the season back in....

Great job by Sale!
On the bright side, the Sox are now more than 1/2 way through his contract!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Great game. The most important thing I learned is that Hawk's 2013 crush is Salvador Perez.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Great way to spend our first opening day. The good news for days like today is that Sec. 154 is squarely in the sun. The bad news is that for Sunday games in July, they will be squarely in the sun.

Sale pitched very well and the bullpen generally worked. And the park looks great.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Lip

You do realize the Royals pitching staff is actually very good this year, right? And that James Shields is fantastic?