White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg83 View Post
His nickname is the "J-Hey Kid" so Willy Mays comparisons may not be fair but they're inevitable. And when he came up, he was hyped to the bejesus by Bristol. I think he homered in his first AB or game and they were doing break-ins in programming to see his ABs. I do not recall this for certain, so I'm willing to be proven incorrect. But if true, that, to me, is OVER-hyped.

And I acknowledged in my first post about the OPS difference, but the rest of the batting line is pretty damn similar. So don't tell me there's no comparison. There is. And not only is there a comparison, it's remarkably close! Outside of OPS and fielding -- both of which I tipped my hat to in the original post.

Again, for those not picking it up. My point is NOT that Viciedo and Heyward are the same player but that this dude who was so hyped, has turned in one good, and no great seasons and that -- at a GLANCE -- have some traditional batting line comparisons to Viciedo.

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but I used to contribute money to this board and then I found the contributors too nasty to justify it, now I'm on the verge of abandoning it. I've been around since 2004 and the know-it-all-ness and smug baloney of this site sometimes reminds me of a North Side board. I think I'll say goodbye to all for a while.

Go Whitesox!
Acknowledging the difference in OPS and understanding what it means are two entirely different concepts. If you understood what it meant, you wouldn't have made the thread.

I'm sorry you feel you're being attacked, but maybe in the future listen to what others are saying and then do a little research instead of being sensitive about it. You're beyond off-base with the point you're trying to make. So incredibly off base, my first thought was this thread was a gag. If anything, people in this thread are being too nice to you.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Uh, what? I'm as big a Dayan Viciedo homer as there is around here, but even I'm willing to admit Heyward at this point, every point prior, and likely every point in the future, is a far superior, all-around better player than Viciedo.
I have no idea what Heyward will do this year. He may have a breakout season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't. Most who expect Heyward to have a breakout season are going by the hype that greeted him into the league. I expect that this year, like just about every year, there will be breakout seasons from players who weren't expected to have them.

And I stand by what I posted. If Viciedo does better than Heyward this year, the statistical differences between the two during their initial seasons will be a minor footnote.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:34 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Most who expect Heyward to have a breakout season are going by the hype that greeted him into the league.
Yes, that is generally what rational, intelligent people do; study evidence, both empirical and theoretical, and make educated predictions based on these observations.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:50 PM
WSI Regular

The difference between Viciedo and Heyward is:

1. Start with Viciedo's MLB career batting line
2. Add 968 PA with a .258/.378/.456 slash line

Comparisons in OPS are misleading for these two, because their SLGs are similar but their OBPs are not. I don't see how Viciedo can make a dent in the OBP difference.

List of players with career starts similar to Heyward's PA and OBP which may help resolve whether Heyward is appropriately hyped.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:12 PM
WSI High Priest

This is kind of a silly thread. Tank is a solid player, but he is not at the level Heyward is, nor does he have that kind of potential.

Especially when you factor in Heyward is a plus defender with a plus arm and runs very well. Tank has a cannon for an arm, but he is simply servicable (overstatement?) in LF.

If GM's were given a chance to draft their teams from scratch, Heyward would go in the top 3 rounds, likely in the top 50 picks. Tank might be a top 10 round pick, but thats a coinflip.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Yet another thread showing a lack of understanding of stats.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."