White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
That ball by the way is adhered to Bo's mother's tombstone. Bo had told her that he was going to make it back to play baseball. When she passed he had it fixed to the gravesite.

I think it's bronzed.

Lip
Wow.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Good lord you're right. Haha...
I watched the ESPN documentary on Bo a few days ago on Netflix and Pro Stars came up so I got curious about who did the voice and a little Wikipedia search and came across it. Pro Stars. Hadn't even thought about that in 20 years and now twice in one week. Ha.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
That ball by the way is adhered to Bo's mother's tombstone. Bo had told her that he was going to make it back to play baseball. When she passed he had it fixed to the gravesite.

I think it's bronzed.

Lip
On the 30 for 30 piece he said it was in acrylic.

I remember because he said acrylic really strangely.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Was the Opening Day HR in '92 or '93? I can't recall. If it was '93, it's a perfect 20th anniversary moment.
It was '93- this is why he'll be there. Seems worthy to me.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

They say that athletes shouldn't be considered role models these days. Bo Jackson is a bona fide real life role model from the world of sports. I don't see how a person could have a problem with him throwing out the first pitch.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevulture View Post
they say that athletes shouldn't be considered role models these days. Bo jackson is a bona fide real life role model from the world of sports. I don't see how a person could have a problem with him throwing out the first pitch.
+1
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haganaga View Post
I watched the ESPN documentary on Bo a few days ago on Netflix and Pro Stars came up so I got curious about who did the voice and a little Wikipedia search and came across it. Pro Stars. Hadn't even thought about that in 20 years and now twice in one week. Ha.
That documentary was really amazing, IMHO. Hadn't given much thought to it, but Bo is really the reason Nike skyrocketed. Even with MJ's rise to fame, Nike was still second fiddle until after Bo.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
That documentary was really amazing, IMHO. Hadn't given much thought to it, but Bo is really the reason Nike skyrocketed. Even with MJ's rise to fame, Nike was still second fiddle until after Bo.
You're right. I didn't start following sports until late 1991, but I remember seeing more commericals about Bo Jackson during the later 1980's than I do Michael Jordan. Aside from Don Mattingly, who is from my hometown, Bo Jackson was the only other athlete I paid attention to, largely because he played two sports.

I wonder what may happen if LeBron James ever decided to try football. He's talked about taking a sabatical from basketball in the past to try playing the sport professionally. I think he could do it, and wonder if he may actually be a better athlete than Bo, which is hard to believe. Bo Jackson was amazingly talented.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:42 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Agreed> prior to Bo and Michael, everyone was wearing either Keds or PF Flyers. How times change.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 PM
WSI Guru

Keds or PF Flyers??? Aren't you forgetting about a company that had Dr. J and Bird? Named Converse.

Everyone I knew was wearing those basketball shoes.

Lip
Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GPxkpjCvWI
Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 PM
WSI Personality

I'm hip to this idea.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I wonder what may happen if LeBron James ever decided to try football. He's talked about taking a sabatical from basketball in the past to try playing the sport professionally. I think he could do it, and wonder if he may actually be a better athlete than Bo, which is hard to believe. Bo Jackson was amazingly talented.
Given the way he whines and pouts when someone touches him on a basketball court, I can't imagine the way he'd react if someone threw high over the middle and he was cut in half by a safety going up for the catch.

Does he have the physical talent to do it? Yes. I just don't think he'd want to take the hits that go with it. They talked about how "physical" the Bulls were being with him the other night on the broadcast (that's probably the most NBA I've watched in 5+ years), and that was foreplay compared to what he'd probably get in the NFL.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:45 PM
WSI Personality

Default Bo

Bo has to be greatest overall athlete to play for the White Sox at the major league level. Jordan had a chance bc he was improving but the strike ruined it.

As for Bo, he might be the only guy who can throw the first pitch
and catch his own first pitch.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:05 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Given the way he whines and pouts when someone touches him on a basketball court, I can't imagine the way he'd react if someone threw high over the middle and he was cut in half by a safety going up for the catch.

Does he have the physical talent to do it? Yes. I just don't think he'd want to take the hits that go with it. They talked about how "physical" the Bulls were being with him the other night on the broadcast (that's probably the most NBA I've watched in 5+ years), and that was foreplay compared to what he'd probably get in the NFL.
I think the Bulls defense backing off Lebron and letting him score bothered him as much as the Bulls' physical play.