White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 09:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Well, the difference is that Danks wound up getting hurt. Navarro was just bad.
Plus, Danks should get better, he's obviously trying to get back too fast.

Hopefully everything is OK physically.

I understand the trepidation with his contract, but lets give him a shot to get healthy over the next month or month and and a half.

Besides, its a good idea to have a starter with less of a inning workload later in the season. Lets see what the kids can do.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
This Danks contract has a chance to be as epic a disaster as Jaime Navarro was (one of the other only times JR opened the wallet on long term money to for a SP).
Nope.
Danks cost us nothing but money.
Navarro cost us wins.
Better to not pitch at all than to pitch like Navarro did.

One thing, though: Scheuler did a nifty escape from the contract; hopefully it won't come to that for Danks.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

I hope I'm wrong, but it wouldn't shock me if Danks doesn't win another game. I'm having Jim Parque flashbacks.

I never understood what Williams saw in Danks to give him such a big contract. He's never had great stuff. His stuff leaves him very little margin for error and that doesn't lead to consistently winning.

I still think our pitching is going to be good.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:05 AM
WSI Prelate

He really needs a good year or his future is really up in the air.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
He really needs a good year or his future is really up in the air.
His future isn't up in the air, though, that's the problem. The Sox will be paying him $15.75 million through the 2016 season.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
From a throwing pitches perspective, he hasn't looked all that great. I don't know how realistic that ever was. Danks' injury is something that's easy to come back from, but it takes a long time. Usually pitchers aren't back to the same level of effectiveness until between 12 and 18 months after surgery.
Part of what's frustrating to me is that this was all supose to be a minor clean up (surgery) of the shoulder and being ready for opening day would not be an issue. I believe Ventura and Coop both confirmed this when the surgery took place. OD 2013 was not going to be an issue. And here we are.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
His future isn't up in the air, though, that's the problem. The Sox will be paying him $15.75 million through the 2016 season.
Agreed. He's set for life, meanwhile the Sox are screwed. Not saying the guy will never crack the rotation again, but the Sox are paying for the guy they thought they had in '08. Not sure Danks will ever pitch at that level.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:27 AM
WSI Guru

I wouldn't panic about this just yet. It's concerning, yes, but a lot of times the first year back after surgery is pretty rough on pitchers.

Jake Peavy had surgery in 2010. He was a much better pitcher in 2012 than he was in 2011. His ERA was nearly 5 his first year back from surgery. Last year in the second year back, it was 3.37 -- which was right around career average for Jake and very good by American League standards.

I think this is going to be a tough year for John Danks. In fact, I think it will be ugly at times. However, I don't think it necessarily means he's done.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I wouldn't panic about this just yet. It's concerning, yes, but a lot of times the first year back after surgery is pretty rough on pitchers.

Jake Peavy had surgery in 2010. He was a much better pitcher in 2012 than he was in 2011. His ERA was nearly 5 his first year back from surgery. Last year in the second year back, it was 3.37 -- which was right around career average for Jake and very good by American League standards.

I think this is going to be a tough year for John Danks. In fact, I think it will be ugly at times. However, I don't think it necessarily means he's done.
Exactly. I don't know why anyone is panicking at all. This was entirely expected, in fact, I thought the Sox would be prudent to hold him out until the break and send him to EST as his warmup. He is already way ahead of my expected schedule, so I'm fine with some "setbacks" here and there along his recovery. It's important to get him 100% right so we don't risk pouring that contract completely down the drain.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:09 AM
WSI Guru

Gonzo said the Sox want to keep Santiago in the bullpen as a reliable long relief guy.

Lip
Old 03-21-2013, 06:42 AM
WSI Regular

I see this as a positive for the Sox. I was worried that they would reward Danks for his hard work and out of respect, let him start the season with the big league team. Then he would lose a bunch of games as he continued to get back into shape. Instead, I see this as doing what is best for the team. Reward Axelrod for having a solid spring training do what they think will help the team win in April. Danks is such a competitor, he would have pushed himself hard trying to win. If he is rehabbing a few more weeks in the minors, he hopefully will be less likely to risk over doing it. April is a crucial month for the Sox because I think a bad April hurts fan enthusiasm for the team and fewer people come to games until they hit a good long winning streak.

Looking forward to the season. There is nothing greener than the first glimpse of the grass from the concourse in the spring. I can smell the grilled onions already.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

He can keep his brother company in AAA for a few weeks. No big deal.
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but it wouldn't shock me if Danks doesn't win another game. I'm having Jim Parque flashbacks.

I never understood what Williams saw in Danks to give him such a big contract. He's never had great stuff. His stuff leaves him very little margin for error and that doesn't lead to consistently winning.

I still think our pitching is going to be good.
I agree completely with your assessment of Danks. I'm cautiously hopeful that your last sentence will be proven right.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Because of how good he can be, and the amount of money the Sox have tied up in him, I would have no problem with Danks 'Derrick Rose'-ing it and sitting out an extended period of time to make sure that he is 100% when he come back. Not 75%, not 90%, not 99.9%. 100%.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Because of how good he can be, and the amount of money the Sox have tied up in him, I would have no problem with Danks 'Derrick Rose'-ing it and sitting out an extended period of time to make sure that he is 100% when he come back. Not 75%, not 90%, not 99.9%. 100%.
If there is one thing the Sox do well, it is protect their players from injury better than most teams. They've racked up, by far, the smallest amount of time lost to injury of any team over the last several years. They seem to have an A+ medical staff, so whatever decisions they reach with Danks will be good with me. It's why I wasn't concerned with his schedule that tried to get him back in time for Opening Day. It's why I'm not concerned now. There's a lot of business practices of this team that can be questioned; scouting, player development, draft strategy, public relations, etc., but their medical team is second to none.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know