White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What grade do you give Rick Hahn for his first off-season as White Sox GM?
A 10 10.64%
B 39 41.49%
C 34 36.17%
D 7 7.45%
F 4 4.26%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2013, 05:15 PM
WSI High Priest

I wouldn't give him a grade. I'm sure he was wanting to do more over the winter, but just didn't have the cards to do it. If anything, he probably showed more restraint than Kenny would have.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

He spent the money with refreshing restraint, but that doesn't make the team any better. He needs to make trades -- a lot of trades -- where the players he gets back are better than the players he deals. Winning trades is the only way to compete when your farm system sucks, your major league roster sucks, and you have your money tied up in albatross contracts.

C.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

There weren't any real moves to make. We will grade Hahn on how he drafts these first few years.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:39 PM
WSI High Priest

I think Hahn has, thus far, done a good job of playing the terrible hand he's been dealt. I like the non-move on AJ - I think KW would have re-signed him.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 03-10-2013, 12:47 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I think Hahn has, thus far, done a good job of playing the terrible hand he's been dealt. I like the non-move on AJ - I think KW would have re-signed him.
I actually think Kenny was willing to let him go after 2009 and would have if not for Reinsdorf stepping in. After all he let Buehrle go who was just a big as fan favorite as AJ.

I think that you have to believe internally Hahn knew that he was taking over and had plenty of time to come up with a plan to execute this offseason. And maybe this offseason turned out as he intended but it seems a little thin to me. Especially on another bat for the lineup but as many have said what matters is how we play when the bell rings on April 1st. I'm still optimistic that with our pitching we can be a force.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie View Post
Fair enough - so instead, we will discuss AJ vs Flowers based on LAST season? back at ya!
That would be taking the short-term, win now at all costs view that KW employed the last few years that has left this team in such a weak position. Sure, I wouldn't have minded to keep AJ around if the Sox could have found a way to move him around defensively and kept everyone fresh, but they need to see what they have in Flowers. AJ's time as an everyday, productive player are closing, the Sox's budget restraints and completely barren farm system mean they probably won't have an open window to be a real force in the AL again for another 2-3 years. Keeping AJ over developing younger players during the years leading up to that window doesn't help the Sox accomplish anything when the window opens. And frankly, comparing AJ's age-35 season that will go down as clearly the best of his career against Flowers' year when he played maybe once per week is just completely idiotic logic. Using that method, you would never replace veteran players with prospects until the expensive vets broke down or retired. Smart teams let veteran players walk before they melt down. They don't make the mistake of relying on them for too long while neglecting developing replacements. That doesn't mean I think Flowers will ever develop into the player AJ was, but there's a very, very real chance that in 2014 or 2015, Flowers will be a better catcher than AJ is. But we're not going to find that out if Flowers is still riding the pine all week for the next 2 seasons.

I grade Hahn so highly because I think he's doing an excellent job of setting the Sox up for success in a few years. Peavy's new deal can expire at the same time Rios and Dunn are off the books as well, meaning they will be able to maximize the amount of free cash which hopefully coincides with an internal promotion or two from an improving farm system. Add that they will now likely be paying under retail prices on a true ace pitcher in Sale for the next 7 seasons and you have a superstar to build around when the team is ready to compete.

Are the Sox in a great position to compete with Detroit in 2013? Probably not, but again, if anyone thought Hahn could magically reshape this roster overnight, they were delusional to begin with. But do the Sox potentially look like a team that can be force by maybe 2015? That's a real possibility. I know sports fans are not the most patient bunch but with a team on the verge of going through a major cycle or roster turnover, you have to take the long view with moves that Hahn makes for probably this and next off-season. Rome wasn't built in a day. Championship caliber baseball teams usually aren't, either.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 03-10-2013, 09:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
That would be taking the short-term, win now at all costs view that KW employed the last few years that has left this team in such a weak position. Sure, I wouldn't have minded to keep AJ around if the Sox could have found a way to move him around defensively and kept everyone fresh, but they need to see what they have in Flowers. AJ's time as an everyday, productive player are closing, the Sox's budget restraints and completely barren farm system mean they probably won't have an open window to be a real force in the AL again for another 2-3 years. Keeping AJ over developing younger players during the years leading up to that window doesn't help the Sox accomplish anything when the window opens. And frankly, comparing AJ's age-35 season that will go down as clearly the best of his career against Flowers' year when he played maybe once per week is just completely idiotic logic. Using that method, you would never replace veteran players with prospects until the expensive vets broke down or retired. Smart teams let veteran players walk before they melt down. They don't make the mistake of relying on them for too long while neglecting developing replacements. That doesn't mean I think Flowers will ever develop into the player AJ was, but there's a very, very real chance that in 2014 or 2015, Flowers will be a better catcher than AJ is. But we're not going to find that out if Flowers is still riding the pine all week for the next 2 seasons.

I grade Hahn so highly because I think he's doing an excellent job of setting the Sox up for success in a few years. Peavy's new deal can expire at the same time Rios and Dunn are off the books as well, meaning they will be able to maximize the amount of free cash which hopefully coincides with an internal promotion or two from an improving farm system. Add that they will now likely be paying under retail prices on a true ace pitcher in Sale for the next 7 seasons and you have a superstar to build around when the team is ready to compete.

Are the Sox in a great position to compete with Detroit in 2013? Probably not, but again, if anyone thought Hahn could magically reshape this roster overnight, they were delusional to begin with. But do the Sox potentially look like a team that can be force by maybe 2015? That's a real possibility. I know sports fans are not the most patient bunch but with a team on the verge of going through a major cycle or roster turnover, you have to take the long view with moves that Hahn makes for probably this and next off-season. Rome wasn't built in a day. Championship caliber baseball teams usually aren't, either.
So what you're saying is that you don't think he deserves an F? How do you possibly explain that?!
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 03-26-2013, 04:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
I wish AJ was still on the team, but other than that, I think he's done a great job.
gonna miss AJ, one of my all time favs
Old 03-27-2013, 03:06 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Chris Rongey
It'll be Laurence Holmes and me tonight on White Sox Live: @670TheScore 6-8p. You'll hear from GM Rick Hahn and we'll take your calls/texts

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/category/sports/
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
He spent the money with refreshing restraint, but that doesn't make the team any better. He needs to make trades -- a lot of trades -- where the players he gets back are better than the players he deals. Winning trades is the only way to compete when your farm system sucks, your major league roster sucks, and you have your money tied up in albatross contracts.

C.
Well, he can't turn water into wine when it's dirt.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Winning trades is the only way to compete when your farm system sucks, your major league roster sucks, and you have your money tied up in albatross contracts.
I guess you could just do a lot of trades and hope you get lucky. But really the best trades occur these days when one team's surplus is another team's weakness, and they make a trade from surplus to shore up each other's weakness. That's hard to so when you have no surplus.
And the way teams crave prospects these days, you have no chance without a capable farm system.

Williams dealt Quentin, Jackson and Santos for basically one B prospect in each case in return. Maybe it was just bad execution from Williams, but B prospects can bring in some talent, if you have them.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I guess you could just do a lot of trades and hope you get lucky. But really the best trades occur these days when one team's surplus is another team's weakness, and they make a trade from surplus to shore up each other's weakness. That's hard to so when you have no surplus.
And the way teams crave prospects these days, you have no chance without a capable farm system.

Williams dealt Quentin, Jackson and Santos for basically one B prospect in each case in return. Maybe it was just bad execution from Williams, but B prospects can bring in some talent, if you have them.
It's pretty clear that was bad execution from Williams. An example of the kind of trade Hahn needs to make is Morel for some other team's waning B prospect, where the scouting has identified a player who turns out to be a bit better than Morel. And then turn that guy around for someone a little better. And repeat.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:21 PM
WSI Personality

Default Rick Hahn

Everybody will be calling Hahn a great GM when the White Sox make the 2013 Playoffs. Hang tight everybody, this is the year the White Sox get into the Playoffs. They'll be dancing in the streets on the Southside of Chicago when the White Sox are in the Playoffs this coming October!!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Everybody will be calling Hahn a great GM when the White Sox make the 2013 Playoffs. Hang tight everybody, this is the year the White Sox get into the Playoffs. They'll be dancing in the streets on the Southside of Chicago when the White Sox are in the Playoffs this coming October!!!!
I'll be dancing in the streets on the north side of Chicago, but I'm all with the rest of your idea!
Old 03-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

It's really hard to predict what players an organization is gonna collect in the future, but I'm not all that high about the future. We're really really old. In 2015, yeah we'll have Dunn, Rios, and Peavy off the books, but replacing their production from within isn't exactly something our organization has been sterling at. We're currently sitting with one top 100 prospect. The top end talent, especially on offense, has got to come from somewhere. Unless Hahn is getting in a bidding war for free agents, in 2015 this team is shaping up to have some really serious issues.