White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:08 PM
WhiteSoxNation WhiteSoxNation is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: S.S. Chicago
Posts: 142
Default White Sox Platoon Options (LEFT FIELD is very interesting)

Getting more from a position by utilizing 2 average, low cost players and combining the two into a potential all-star, 10M/year production.


C- Flowers .269/.309/.596 v LHP, Gimenez v. RHP .283/.383/.423

LF- Viciedo- .350/.391/.642 vs LHP, .225/.271/.380 vs RHP

Starting at catcher, it's obvious Flower is the everyday catcher, but he's clearly much stronger against LHP. Gimenez should/may see more playing time than we think this year against RHP.


Viciedo had 43 hits vs LHP w/ 18 of them going for extra base hits. He also K'd just 18 times while walking 9 times as opposed to his 5:1 K/BB against RHP......People will argue that he hit 25HR, understandable. Yet, if we played Dwayne Wise vs all RHP and Viciedo vs all LHP here's the production we would have got from a 3M left field.

Adjusted for 600 ABs (and weighing the fact of more RHP than LHP) aka Wise will get more ABs

.297/.357/.511 33HR, 97RBI, 40 doubles 20SB......

What's the going rate for a .300/30/20/100 LF (see Ryan Braun)
Also gives the Sox an above average defensive LF
__________________
"C'mon Timo!"
World series Champs 99-63 (11-1) GO GO White Sox
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:10 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,399
Default

Is this a serious argument for platooning (1) anyone with Dayan Viciedo, and (2) Dewayne ****ing Wise, of all people?
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:13 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,333
Blog Entries: 5
Default

No spank you
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:16 PM
WhiteSoxNation WhiteSoxNation is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: S.S. Chicago
Posts: 142
Default

Yah, clear improvement of production should be ignored
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:21 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
Yah, clear improvement of production should be ignored
You haven't demonstrated any evidence Wise would be able to put up those kind of numbers over 110-120 starts the LH hitting half of the platoon would get. Probably would work on Playstation, though.
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:23 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,333
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
Yah, clear improvement of production should be ignored
I hate to break it to you, but the Sox aren't going to win **** this year, so the focus should be on long-term player development. Viciedo's growth as a full-time player should not be stunted so Dewayne ****ing Wise can get on the field a little more.

You're also basing your argument for Dewayne based on 1 year of splits, a career anomaly for a 30+ year old journeyman AAAA player. Here's his career body of work vs. RHP starters:

.255/.283/.412

**** that noise.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:35 PM
WhiteSoxNation WhiteSoxNation is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: S.S. Chicago
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I hate to break it to you, but the Sox aren't going to win **** this year, so the focus should be on long-term player development. Viciedo's growth as a full-time player should not be stunted so Dewayne ****ing Wise can get on the field a little more.

You're also basing your argument for Dewayne based on 1 year of splits, a career anomaly for a 30+ year old journeyman AAAA player. Here's his career body of work vs. RHP starters:

.255/.283/.412

**** that noise.
Even using his career #s which you often use 3 most recent years in SABR but ill use your # you are still getting .291/.342/.499 LOL

I can't accept a .300 OB% player let alone 3 of them.....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:37 PM
amsteel amsteel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,320
Default

File under LOLSox
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2013, 04:04 PM
SoxNation05 SoxNation05 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Palos Park
Posts: 1,713
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
Getting more from a position by utilizing 2 average, low cost players and combining the two into a potential all-star, 10M/year production.


C- Flowers .269/.309/.596 v LHP, Gimenez v. RHP .283/.383/.423

LF- Viciedo- .350/.391/.642 vs LHP, .225/.271/.380 vs RHP

Starting at catcher, it's obvious Flower is the everyday catcher, but he's clearly much stronger against LHP. Gimenez should/may see more playing time than we think this year against RHP.


Viciedo had 43 hits vs LHP w/ 18 of them going for extra base hits. He also K'd just 18 times while walking 9 times as opposed to his 5:1 K/BB against RHP......People will argue that he hit 25HR, understandable. Yet, if we played Dwayne Wise vs all RHP and Viciedo vs all LHP here's the production we would have got from a 3M left field.

Adjusted for 600 ABs (and weighing the fact of more RHP than LHP) aka Wise will get more ABs

.297/.357/.511 33HR, 97RBI, 40 doubles 20SB......

What's the going rate for a .300/30/20/100 LF (see Ryan Braun)
Also gives the Sox an above average defensive LF
I don't know where you are getting those numbers for Gimenez but he is a 30 year old catcher who has played what, 15 games in the Majors? Do you really expect this kind of production? If he were capable of posting a .383 OBP in the Majors wouldn't you think he would be playing consistently by now?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,642
Default

Yah, No. You don't give Wise 400 PA's so you can give Viceado 200-250.

Young guys like Tank and Flowers, they don't have a big enough sample size. If every damned player was judged solely on his rookie year, you would be missing out on a lot of really good players.

You want the Sox LF to put up Braun numbers? The answer is to have them start sticking a needle in their ass, not playing Dewayne Wise more.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-25-2013, 04:06 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,333
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
You want the Sox LF to put up Braun numbers? The answer is to have them start sticking a needle in their ass, not playing Dewayne Wise more.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Taliesinrk Taliesinrk is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Yah, No. You don't give Wise 400 PA's so you can give Viceado 200-250.

Young guys like Tank and Flowers, they don't have a big enough sample size. If every damned player was judged solely on his rookie year, you would be missing out on a lot of really good players.

You want the Sox LF to put up Braun numbers? The answer is to have them start sticking a needle in their ass, not playing Dewayne Wise more.


POTW
__________________
"There's only one sports team in Chicago that will get a pass. I won't name them. But it ain't us.'' - Kenny Williams
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-25-2013, 04:56 PM
WhiteSoxNation WhiteSoxNation is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: S.S. Chicago
Posts: 142
Default

Lets just keep playing .300 OB% guys and expecting different results.

Good thing Hahn is a SABR guy, a Beane pupil.....So eventually this team will be figure out using logic I agree with
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Daver's Avatar
Daver Daver is offline
The Grand Wazoo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SW Suburbs
Posts: 26,642
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
Lets just keep playing .300 OB% guys and expecting different results.

Good thing Hahn is a SABR guy, a Beane pupil.....So eventually this team will be figure out using logic I agree with
Yeah, Beane and all those World Series trophies he's won.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Taliesinrk Taliesinrk is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
Lets just keep playing .300 OB% guys and expecting different results.

Good thing Hahn is a SABR guy, a Beane pupil.....So eventually this team will be figure out using logic I agree with
Good thing baseball isn't played by actuaries too. If Viciedo isn't playing close to full-time, he should be in Charlotte or Birmingham... NOT Chicago. No sane manager would risk stunting his potential like that. It's a ridiculous notion.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.