White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 AM
WSI Guru

Default DeAza To WBC...

Joining Dominican team after a Milwaukee player said 'no...'

He and Rios are going to be away from the big club.

Lip
Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 AM
WSI Personality

Carlos Gomez dropped out. I personally don't like them playing but in the end it's their personal choice if they want to represent their country. Just praying they come back healthy.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Good for him.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM
WSI High Priest

I don't mind offensive players playing. I prefer pitchers don't as I think many don't have their arms in that kind of shape yet.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:17 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I don't mind offensive players playing. I prefer pitchers don't as I think many don't have their arms in that kind of shape yet.
Kind of mirrors my feeling, as well, but a guy like De Aza, whose career was nearly derailed by injuries and still has yet to play a full season healthy, does kind of scare me. Especially because the guy behind him on the depth chart is Dewayne Wise.

*shudder*

On an unrelated note, uh, I thought the Domincican Republic was supposed to be good at baseball?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Kind of mirrors my feeling, as well, but a guy like De Aza, whose career was nearly derailed by injuries and still has yet to play a full season healthy, does kind of scare me. Especially because the guy behind him on the depth chart is Dewayne Wise.

*shudder*

On an unrelated note, uh, I thought the Domincican Republic was supposed to be good at baseball?
I don't have a big problem with it, I see it as a more competitive spring training.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

People act like playing in the WBC is career threatening. These guys are pro athletes, they condition themselves for this kind of thing. Let's not act like they're fragile.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeckAsInWreck View Post
People act like playing in the WBC is career threatening. These guys are pro athletes, they condition themselves for this kind of thing. Let's not act like they're fragile.
The point is that if they get injured, they get injured playing for someone who is not on the hook for the guaranteed contract. They'll be playing in games where they actually care who wins, instead of games where players are working on things to get ready for the season. Why should the Chicago White Sox (or any other team) have to pay the salary of a player who's unable to play as a result of an injury sustained in an activity outside of their White Sox job?

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
The point is that if they get injured, they get injured playing for someone who is not on the hook for the guaranteed contract. They'll be playing in games where they actually care who wins, instead of games where players are working on things to get ready for the season. Why should the Chicago White Sox (or any other team) have to pay the salary of a player who's unable to play as a result of an injury sustained in an activity outside of their White Sox job?
Fair point. But has this ever happened? I know it could happen, but I don't know if it ever has. I just can't remember a player sustaining a serious injury during the WBC.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:28 PM
WSI Guru

I want to say that a pitcher was hurt a few years ago. Sorry I can't remember his name but he missed time during the regular season because of it.

UPDATE: I think his last name was Ayala.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 02-22-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/s...ic-injury-myth

This article suggests that playing in the WBC does not increase the liklihood of injury.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Eh, the competition still sucks.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:13 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeckAsInWreck View Post
I think that's overstating it a bit, but the fact of the matter is that Alejandro's career has been hampered by injuries, he lost a job in Miami twice, I believe, and broke down in his first full MLB season last year. The guy's going to be 29 years old in April and he's not proven to be a durable player yet. And to heighten the anxiety, the backup plan appears to be Wise. Maybe it'd be one thing if Thompson or Mitchell or Danks looked poised to become the Sox's long-term solution in CF, but right now that doesn't exist. I think a healthy Alejandro is extremely important to this team, when he was playing well they played good ball and it's not a coincidence (IMO) that when he started to miss time down the stretch run, they fell apart.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Why should the Chicago White Sox (or any other team) have to pay the salary of a player who's unable to play as a result of an injury sustained in an activity outside of their White Sox job?
Because the WBC was conjured up by MLB (with the support of the MLBPA) as a means to increase the sport's popularity and, ultimately, profitability.

I would argue that playing in it is part of the job of an MLB player.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I want to say that a pitcher was hurt a few years ago. Sorry I can't remember his name but he missed time during the regular season because of it.

UPDATE: I think his last name was Ayala.

Lip
One guy got hurt? SHUT IT DOWN

ESPN article regarding the WBC injury myth:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/s...ic-injury-myth

Every other sport has an international competition in which professional athletes compete and the majority of people find it hugely entertaining and celebrate the athletes that choose to represent their countries. Baseball fans need to get over themselves.