White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,380
Default DeAza To WBC...

Joining Dominican team after a Milwaukee player said 'no...'

He and Rios are going to be away from the big club.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 AM
lizard6king6 lizard6king6 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NW Side
Posts: 1,369
Default

Carlos Gomez dropped out. I personally don't like them playing but in the end it's their personal choice if they want to represent their country. Just praying they come back healthy.
__________________
I am the lizardking, I can do anything...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 AM
amsteel amsteel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,320
Default

Good for him.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,645
Default

I don't mind offensive players playing. I prefer pitchers don't as I think many don't have their arms in that kind of shape yet.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2013, 10:17 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,333
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I don't mind offensive players playing. I prefer pitchers don't as I think many don't have their arms in that kind of shape yet.
Kind of mirrors my feeling, as well, but a guy like De Aza, whose career was nearly derailed by injuries and still has yet to play a full season healthy, does kind of scare me. Especially because the guy behind him on the depth chart is Dewayne Wise.

*shudder*

On an unrelated note, uh, I thought the Domincican Republic was supposed to be good at baseball?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 29,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Kind of mirrors my feeling, as well, but a guy like De Aza, whose career was nearly derailed by injuries and still has yet to play a full season healthy, does kind of scare me. Especially because the guy behind him on the depth chart is Dewayne Wise.

*shudder*

On an unrelated note, uh, I thought the Domincican Republic was supposed to be good at baseball?
I don't have a big problem with it, I see it as a more competitive spring training.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 PM
VeeckAsInWreck VeeckAsInWreck is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Over By Midway Airport
Posts: 3,608
Default

People act like playing in the WBC is career threatening. These guys are pro athletes, they condition themselves for this kind of thing. Let's not act like they're fragile.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeckAsInWreck View Post
People act like playing in the WBC is career threatening. These guys are pro athletes, they condition themselves for this kind of thing. Let's not act like they're fragile.
The point is that if they get injured, they get injured playing for someone who is not on the hook for the guaranteed contract. They'll be playing in games where they actually care who wins, instead of games where players are working on things to get ready for the season. Why should the Chicago White Sox (or any other team) have to pay the salary of a player who's unable to play as a result of an injury sustained in an activity outside of their White Sox job?
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 4,664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
The point is that if they get injured, they get injured playing for someone who is not on the hook for the guaranteed contract. They'll be playing in games where they actually care who wins, instead of games where players are working on things to get ready for the season. Why should the Chicago White Sox (or any other team) have to pay the salary of a player who's unable to play as a result of an injury sustained in an activity outside of their White Sox job?
Fair point. But has this ever happened? I know it could happen, but I don't know if it ever has. I just can't remember a player sustaining a serious injury during the WBC.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,380
Default

I want to say that a pitcher was hurt a few years ago. Sorry I can't remember his name but he missed time during the regular season because of it.

UPDATE: I think his last name was Ayala.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 02-22-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 4,664
Default

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/s...ic-injury-myth

This article suggests that playing in the WBC does not increase the liklihood of injury.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-22-2013, 01:39 PM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,654
Default

Eh, the competition still sucks.
__________________
Bullpen wanted
Good arms now being accepted at 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-22-2013, 02:13 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,333
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeckAsInWreck View Post
People act like playing in the WBC is career threatening. These guys are pro athletes, they condition themselves for this kind of thing. Let's not act like they're fragile.
I think that's overstating it a bit, but the fact of the matter is that Alejandro's career has been hampered by injuries, he lost a job in Miami twice, I believe, and broke down in his first full MLB season last year. The guy's going to be 29 years old in April and he's not proven to be a durable player yet. And to heighten the anxiety, the backup plan appears to be Wise. Maybe it'd be one thing if Thompson or Mitchell or Danks looked poised to become the Sox's long-term solution in CF, but right now that doesn't exist. I think a healthy Alejandro is extremely important to this team, when he was playing well they played good ball and it's not a coincidence (IMO) that when he started to miss time down the stretch run, they fell apart.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM
The Immigrant The Immigrant is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Old Irving Park
Posts: 4,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Why should the Chicago White Sox (or any other team) have to pay the salary of a player who's unable to play as a result of an injury sustained in an activity outside of their White Sox job?
Because the WBC was conjured up by MLB (with the support of the MLBPA) as a means to increase the sport's popularity and, ultimately, profitability.

I would argue that playing in it is part of the job of an MLB player.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-22-2013, 03:02 PM
amsteel amsteel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I want to say that a pitcher was hurt a few years ago. Sorry I can't remember his name but he missed time during the regular season because of it.

UPDATE: I think his last name was Ayala.

Lip
One guy got hurt? SHUT IT DOWN

ESPN article regarding the WBC injury myth:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/s...ic-injury-myth

Every other sport has an international competition in which professional athletes compete and the majority of people find it hugely entertaining and celebrate the athletes that choose to represent their countries. Baseball fans need to get over themselves.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.