White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Banned

Default Rick Hahn on Chicago Tonight

GM Rick Hahn was on WTTW tonight on Chicago Tonight talking about the upcoming season.

I thought it was an interesting interview and it was nice to get some exposure to the new catalyst at the helm.

Key poinnts of the interview:

The interviewer asked what is the most exciting part of being the GM.

Hahn stated that he would have to experience some of the wins and losses before he could properly answer that question. He then continued to speak about his "plan" for the team. He stated that not as many opportunites came up as he expected. Regardless of this, he said that he is not done yet and if a move presents itself it will be made.

The intereviewer asked Hahn about the crucial move "he did not make" in letting AJ Pierzynski go to Texas.

Hahn responded by saying that we had a few players with expiring contracts like Peavy, Youkilis and AJ and that they considered potential replacements for all and came to the conclusion that Jake was an ace and would be the hardest to replace. He then noted that Flowers was waiting behind AJ. He made some interesting comments on Tyler Flowers. Hahn said that when the Sox acquired Flowers he was "one of the best hitting catchers in the minor leagues." He also referred to Flowers as a more defensive player now who has garnished the respect of pitchers on the staff.

He also said that AJP has a special place in his heart as he does with many White Sox fans.

The interviewer later asked about the lack of attendence despite the winning season.

RH first said that the front office looked into why people came to the park and why people did not go to the park. Hahn also reminded viewers that they lowered 83% of tickets, made parking cheaper and made Sunday family plans for families to hopefully fill more seats.

The interviewer asked if Kenny played a similar role as Theo Epstein with the Cubs.

Hahn responded by saying that he manages all the day-to-day operations and plays the normal role of a GM but he always has Kenny there to help. RH also made sure he noted that Kenny still has an important role in player devlopment and scouting.

The interviewer asked why Hahn never accepted any offers he received from other clubs.

RH responded by speaking very highly of Kenny Williams and Jerry Reinsdorf. Saying that they took a great chance on him and he has an obligation to them and this city. RH also told her that he loves working for Kenny and Jerry so close to home. He even went as far as saying that he does not know if he would get the same satisfaction from a championship with another team as he did with the Sox in 2005.

The interviewer asked whether RH grew up as a Sox or Cubs fan.

Hahn laughed and said he grew up in Winetka (North Side) and was a Cubs fan. He quickly joked that he also watched Michael Jackson music videos when he was a twelve year old, so things change.

Hahn really showed that he is a well-versed, calculated man.

Last edited by SoxNation05; 01-23-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Hahn expressed confidence in Flowers on M&H today.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...tyler-flowers/
Old 01-27-2013, 06:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Hopefully, Hahn knows something about TFlo's offense that we don't because I see a guy with a ton of power and not a whole lot else.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
Hopefully, Hahn knows something about TFlo's offense that we don't because I see a guy with a ton of power and not a whole lot else.
True, but who out there was going to be an upgrade?

I love AJ, but he probably will regress a little bit at 36.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post

I agree he will regress due to age. I also loved AJ, and understood time to go. But is there any chance this was influenced by he and Peavy not exactly being close? If so that's BS.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post

AJ regressed > Flowers
Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
He also referred to Flowers as a more defensive player now who has garnished the respect of pitchers on the staff.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
GM Rick Hahn was on WTTW tonight on Chicago Tonight talking about the upcoming season.....

The interviewer later asked about the lack of attendance despite the winning season.

RH first said that the front office looked into why people came to the park and why people did not go to the park. Hahn also reminded viewers that they lowered 83% of tickets, made parking cheaper and made Sunday family plans for families to hopefully fill more seats.
Thanks for summarizing the discussion. I appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Regarding the attendance issue, I hope they looked into the fact that the Sox need to make the playoffs more than their current trend of once every 5 years or so if they want to draw fans. That being said, I'm glad they're making pricing efforts to get more fans to show up, but it all starts with winning.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Thanks for summarizing the discussion. I appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Regarding the attendance issue, I hope they looked into the fact that the Sox need to make the playoffs more than their current trend of once every 5 years or so if they want to draw fans. That being said, I'm glad they're making pricing efforts to get more fans to show up, but it all starts with winning.
I agree with you 100%. I don't think that ticket prices would have been an issue if we made the playoffs often. They can continue to lower prices all they want to, but if the Sox do not put a winning product on the field, fans will not show up. In the division that we are in, I think that it is sad that we have only made the playoffs twice in the past ten years.

Last edited by soxfan21; 01-30-2013 at 01:22 PM.