Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 12:37 PM
WSI Personality

Default Who still enjoys the Sox even in years they don't contend?

I had a general question for those out there...who enjoys watching the White Sox and going to games even in years in which they are out of it?

I'm wondering as my expectations for this season are not that high..however..I find myself looking forward to next year. Going to Sunday games and tailgating and hanging out in the area..I still find Sox games fun..even in seasons in which they are out of it.

I know many people who refuse to go to games when the Sox are not in the race..however..don't you feel as if you are denying yourself part of summer by not going to at least a few games and hanging out at the ballpark?

Just curious as to others thoughts on this.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:43 PM
WSI Personality

I don't enjoy the Sox in years they don't contend. When the Sox are contending, I usually watch 85% of the games and go to 25-30 games a year. However, when they are not contending, I'll watch maybe 40% of the games and go to 5-10 games a year. I still watch and pay attention to the Sox when they are not contending, but it's difficult to enjoy them when the games ultimately don't mean anything.

Anticipated next game: 4/26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 12-16-2012, 12:45 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't enjoy the White Sox losing, but I enjoy watching and supporting the White Sox at all times.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:54 PM
WSI Guru

Losing is never fun or enjoyable, it's all about winning. When the Sox are having a bad season I start counting down the number of days until the Bears hit training camp. Once the Sox hit the magic number of 81 losses as far as I'm concerned the season is over.

Lip
Old 12-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Banned

I just really love baseball, so Sox season is the best part of the year.

I still go to plenty of games with friends--I'll pick opponents with players that interest me, etc.

If the Sox aren't playing as well I'm more likely to follow the rest of the majors closely to make up for it.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:04 PM
WSI Personality

I just look at this division and the size of the market, and really don't think the Sox have any excuse to be losing. If they were losing as part of a rebuilding process, it would be fun to follow the young players as they progress from year to year.

But when they go "All in" and play terrible, uninspired baseball or are handing the division to Detroit on a silver platter after being in first all season? No way do I find that enjoyable at all. I have no shame in tuning out an underperforming team.

Or for instance in a 2009 situation where they went cheap in a lot of areas and never seemed serious about rebuilding OR contending. I won't get invested in that, either.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
I just look at this division and the size of the market, and really don't think the Sox have any excuse to be losing. If they were losing as part of a rebuilding process, it would be fun to follow the young players as they progress from year to year.

But when they go "All in" and play terrible, uninspired baseball or are handing the division to Detroit on a silver platter after being in first all season? No way do I find that enjoyable at all. I have no shame in tuning out an underperforming team.

Or for instance in a 2009 situation where they went cheap in a lot of areas and never seemed serious about rebuilding OR contending. I won't get invested in that, either.
Since Kenny took over, I don't think there has been a year where we even remotely attempted to rebuild. There were some years the plan didn't work, like 2007 and 2009.

So it's been Pre-2000 since we've had to see that. In those years it was fun to go to the park, but obviously a fans level of involvement with the team couldn't be as high as in season where we at least try to win.

Seems a stilted question, along the lines of "what's a successful season" as there were tons of arguments about on this board in the past.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Lets face it, winning years are more enjoyable than losing ones but The White Sox are part of me and even when they are 20 games under .500 I'm pulling for them to go to 19 under just as hard as if they were fighting for the pennant.
I watch them every chance I can regardless of their record.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:37 PM
WSI Personality

Default White Sox Baseball

White Sox baseball is the only sports obsession I have. I attend and watch as many games as I can. But its still more fun if they're playing winning baseball. That being said, I was surprised that the White Sox sent me a free 1972 home jersey for being a Season Ticket Holder. The quality of the jersey is quite decent. They've sent me gifts in the past, but this is probably the nicest gift they have sent me.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:50 PM
WSI Personality

Good or bad I'm with them. I schedule what I do to attend or watch almost every game.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm a diehard Sox fan and baseball geek. I wait for spring training and watch at least some (if not all) of the games during the season. There's just something about the Sox and baseball that I thoroughly enjoy.

As much as I love football, the NFL doesn't truly start for me until the Sox' season is over.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

I don't enjoy losing, but I enjoy baseball, and I love the Sox.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 12-16-2012, 09:09 PM
WSI Regular

I prefer when the White Sox win, but I will always support my team and go to every game possible!

Last edited by SoxChic5; 12-16-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

I watch or attend every game that I can, and it ends up being nearly all 162. I think I missed maybe 5 games in 2012. When they're playing poorly (see 2011), I still watch, but if it's another crappy Sox loss and they're out of contention, it's easier to shut the game off halfway through and walk away.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:15 AM
Official Professor

Bad White Sox baseball is better than no White Sox baseball. I've watched some pretty bad teams in my time. I was not tested by the 1970 season, however.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)