White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 PM
WSI Guru

White Sox 1:

Yea I know Bill, he's a good friend. You asked, so I asked him.

The Chicago Baseball Museum is planning on doing something for Bill, like they did for Minnie before the 2014 election. I think Bill can still get in through the veterans committee or something like that.

Lip
Old 12-08-2012, 01:59 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
White Sox 1:

Yea I know Bill, he's a good friend. You asked, so I asked him.

The Chicago Baseball Museum is planning on doing something for Bill, like they did for Minnie before the 2014 election. I think Bill can still get in through the veterans committee or something like that.

Lip
Thanks again, I was reading about that whole topic on a different baseball history site and it really made me wonder what really happened. They had a ton of different reasons on the Fox/Lopez hof voting and the Billy Pierce not pitching in the 59 series but the one thing 90 percent of them agree on is that Billy Pierce should be in the Hall of Fame. I find it pretty amazing that you know him and I appreciate the fact he would answer questions. Thanks again.

I would have to think a lot of the older players may not like the saber type of stats and i'm not really sold on them yet but these stats may help guys like Billy Pierce, Minnie Minoso and Richie Allen get in the hof in future votings with a new generation who use saber stats to help with deciding who should be in. Using saber types of stats Billy Pierce is better than probably 20 pitchers already elected.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:14 AM
WSI Personality

Default Al Lopez, Part 2

Louie Aparcio was traded from the White Sox after the 1962 season because he stopped getting along with Al Lopez. He talked rather openly how Al Lopez had changed since 1959. He didn't demand a trade from the White Sox but he made it pretty well known that he didn't care to play for Lopez anymore. The White Sox then traded Little Looie to Baltimore.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:29 AM
WSI Guru

Golden:

Not saying you're wrong but the main reason Louie was traded was because he didn't get along moreso with G.M. Ed Short who cut his salary the maximum 20% after the 1962 season and who thought Aparicio was going downhill.

White Sox 1:

Just for the record Billy did pitch in the 1959 World Series, three times in fact but he never started a game.

Lip
Old 12-10-2012, 09:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

I do remember problems with Landis and Al Lopez. I don't recall the details but I do recall Landis saying he "had one father and loved him" and didn't need another. Seems like Lopez could be a little dictatorial. But a good manager, yes.

And please dear God, let Billy Pierce into the Hall! He deserves it as much and more than Santo.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:54 PM
WSI Guru

Cheeze:

Read the link posted earlier in the thread, my story on Lopez the day he died. It answers the issue between Jim and Al.

Lip