White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Default Managers of the Year

Bob Melvin of the Oakland Athletics and Davey Johnson were chosen as managers of the year on Tuesday.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/86...-managers-year
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 11-13-2012, 07:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

AL MOY should've been Buck Showalter...what a joke.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 AM
WSI High Priest

It's a coin flip between the Birds and A's. Who on earth thought they'd make the postseason? Especially Oakland?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Melvin led the A's to a spectacular run, winning the AL West that virtually everyone had pegged was the Rangers' to lose. The O's were constantly solid, never really needing to make a big run to stay in striking distance of the wild card.

What the A's did was more impressive, thus I'm not mad that Melvin won it.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: TBD
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)

Frank Thomas, Hall of Famer. I love the sound of that.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGrnwdSoxFan View Post
Melvin led the A's to a spectacular run, winning the AL West that virtually everyone had pegged was the Rangers' to lose. The O's were constantly solid, never really needing to make a big run to stay in striking distance of the wild card.

What the A's did was more impressive, thus I'm not mad that Melvin won it.
I disagree.

Ask yourself this:

How many playoff appearances do the A's have in the last 15 seasons? They've been to the playoffs 6 times.

How many playoff appearances do the O's have in the last 15 years? Before last season none...they haven't been to the playoffs at all during that span.

The O's have been complete and total hot garbage for the last 15 years. Buck Showalter bringing them back to the playoffs for the first time since 1997...that's right 1997...is far more impressive than anything Bob Melvin did this season.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome25 View Post
I disagree.

Ask yourself this:

How many playoff appearances do the A's have in the last 15 seasons? They've been to the playoffs 6 times.

How many playoff appearances do the O's have in the last 15 years? Before last season none...they haven't been to the playoffs at all during that span.

The O's have been complete and total hot garbage for the last 15 years. Buck Showalter bringing them back to the playoffs for the first time since 1997...that's right 1997...is far more impressive than anything Bob Melvin did this season.
First off, it's not like the A's have exactly been a quality squad the past several years, either. Before this season, the A's have been the playoffs exactly 1 time since 2003. Once they got rid of the Big 3, they've been stuck in baseball hell for the better part of a decade. Is it as bad as the O's? No, but both teams have been pretty much hot garbage since George W's first term in office.

Personally, i am fine with either winning the MOY award. However, it's pretty easy to make a strong case for melvin by simply looking at the talent he had to work with compared to Buck. Take a look at the rosters, and tell me which manager did more with less? You knew going into the season that the Os had a talented roster, their record didn't reflect that, but they have had the talent. Young players like Jones, Weiters, Machado, and solid vets like Markakis and Hardy were on this roster. Sure, you didn't expect them to make the playoffs, but the A's roster appeared to be junk outside of Cespedes. Not to mention, the A's won more games(granted, only 1 more), and won a division containing the 2x defending AL Champion, AND a very strong Angels team.

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!