White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 09:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
What happened to Nestor Molina? I see that he's dropped out of the Sox top 10.
He really struggled this year. Some of suggested that it was due to him not being completely healthy. Others think that 2011 was just a huge fluke and his potential lies closer to his numbers in 2012. I'm hoping for the former, because he really regressed last year.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 11-13-2012, 11:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
It will be interesting to see where we stand when Organizational rankings come out. Still fear that farm is bottom 5. Some depth, but not a ton of prospects who really have all-star potential. Hawkins is about it, unless you believe in Thompson. Just have seen this type of player fail for the White Sox too many times to trust him, but I would love to be wrong.
It's hard not to get excited about Sanchez. He's just 20 and hits well from both sides of the plate, has speed, and plate discipline by all reports.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:29 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
It will be interesting to see where we stand when Organizational rankings come out. Still fear that farm is bottom 5. Some depth, but not a ton of prospects who really have all-star potential. Hawkins is about it, unless you believe in Thompson. Just have seen this type of player fail for the White Sox too many times to trust him, but I would love to be wrong.

I don't think there's any question the Sox are going to come in dead last again.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I don't think there's any question the Sox are going to come in dead last again.
Not something to be proud of, but even though they couldn't seal the deal in September, I think the 2012 team proved how little that actually means.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Why? They had great success promoting some young players to the majors this season, had some impressive jumps through the minors, and had a very productive draft. I'm expecting lower third, but last would be a shock to me.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Why? They had great success promoting some young players to the majors this season, had some impressive jumps through the minors, and had a very productive draft. I'm expecting lower third, but last would be a shock to me.
Just because they promoted a bunch of guys to the majors, does not mean their farm system is very good. Brian Omogrosso, Deunte Heath, Jhan Marinez, and Leyson Septimo are nothing to write home about. Plus not to mention, the greatest call-up of the year, being Jose Quintana, is not a homegrown prospect. Sox signed him in the offseason from the Yankees organization. The Sox don't have many guys that are A list prospects and haven't produced many impact players. I think they are a step in the right direction though, and are still better than they were last year, but I'd still rank them last.
2010 ST Attendance Record: 1-0-1
2010 Attendance Record: 10-3
2011 Attendance Record: 4-6
2012 Attendance Record: 2-1
Old 11-13-2012, 06:36 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't think homegrown really matters. I'm sure no Cub fans were complaining about Anthony Rizzo not being homegrown. Just as long as they're part of the system. Keep in mind there were also 9 rookies on the team last year, so they did get something out of the farm system. Depth is not something you can fix within a few years, but they are going the right way.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:09 AM
WSI Personality

Default Erik Johnson

He is moving up. He has to be #1 (#2 if you want to count Garcia) look forward to his callup to the bigs.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:37 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofgold View Post
He is moving up. He has to be #1 (#2 if you want to count Garcia) look forward to his callup to the bigs.
Not that I know anything about him, or prospects in general, but you would think as he gets promoted to higher levels, his numbers might dip a bit with the increased talent he should be facing. However, his numbers seem to get better as he rises through the system. That's got to be a good sign.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Jared Mitchell has to have fallen off our prospect lists, he's had a really poor season.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofgold View Post
Why is Marcus Semien not considered our top hitting prospect, at this point?
Old 08-11-2013, 04:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChopExpress View Post
Not that I know anything about him, or prospects in general, but you would think as he gets promoted to higher levels, his numbers might dip a bit with the increased talent he should be facing. However, his numbers seem to get better as he rises through the system. That's got to be a good sign.
You're right that the talent of hitters is better. My hope with Johnson is that we'll continue to see him develop and refine his game so that the strides he makes exceeds the quality of hitting he faces.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:26 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Why is Marcus Semien not considered our top hitting prospect, at this point?
Lower ceiling, Semien looks like he could be a potentially nice everyday player but Hawkins remains the Sox's lone true impact bat in the minors (now that Garcia is in the bigs). I know he struggled a lot this year, but it was a very aggressive placement for a 19-year-old whose still barely a year removed from high school. More often than not scouts will grade prospects on how high they can fly. Hawkins (and maybe even Thompson and Anderson) at this point, still beat Semien in that regard.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Lower ceiling, Semien looks like he could be a potentially nice everyday player but Hawkins remains the Sox's lone true impact bat in the minors (now that Garcia is in the bigs). I know he struggled a lot this year, but it was a very aggressive placement for a 19-year-old whose still barely a year removed from high school. More often than not scouts will grade prospects on how high they can fly. Hawkins (and maybe even Thompson and Anderson) at this point, still beat Semien in that regard.
But Semien's performance (even for his age/level) has far exceded anybody else in the system. Is it just based on old school eye test stuff? Because Semien seems to be performing in every area that Sox prospect hitters falter.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:51 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
But Semien's performance (even for his age/level) has far exceded anybody else in the system. Is it just based on old school eye test stuff? Because Semien seems to be performing in every area that Sox prospect hitters falter.
That's certainly part of it, as well. As excited as I am about how well he has played, the list of unremarkable college hitters who excelled in the minors but didn't pan out in the Majors is probably hundreds of miles long.