White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 02:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

It's a mistake to assume the Tigers won't be adding to their roster as well.

I'm hoping that Peavy's contract was a sign that AJ is gone. They aren't exactly friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 11-05-2012, 03:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41 View Post
---I'm aware it's a long off season but having read Hahn's early comments about bringing back AJ and Youk, I am beginning to wonder if these are the right moves. The team won 85 games last year with this team. Outside of hopefully adding Danks back into the mix, I don't see how this puts the team over the top.

Of course I'm assuming that bringing the two of them back eats up most of the Sox remaining budget thus leaving little room to improve the bench or bullpen. These guys are past their primes. And I also know the FA Class is thin and thus most of the players will be over paid.

AJ will be 37 next year and is coming of a career year, in which he faded terribly in Sept. Youk had a great first 3 weeks with us, but I'm not impressed by the numbers he put up. He didn't exactly like the world on fire in September. A healthy Brent Morel (a big question mark) could hit better then .240, give you the 15-20 HR's Youk would give you play better D.

And what is the gap in numbers of Tyler Flowers versus an aging AJ? I always have doubts about players having their best years in their free agent years. It's hard to judge Tyler by last year as he didn't play more then 2-3 games in a week. But I am confident in saying AJ won't produce in 2013 like he did in 2012.

Why not give the job to Flowers or go after Mike Napoli? As for 3B, Mark Reynolds is available. While we don't need another slow, high strike out, power hitter is his offense that much worse then Youk's?

---Does anyone else think the Sox will trade Floyd? I'm betting he's not on the opening day roster. Trading him could solve one the problems listed above, but on the flipside we can go from 6 to 4 starters pretty quickly.

---I am fine with trading Dunn or Rios if it 1. fills a hole or two right away for 2013, and 2. we can then use the money to strengthen the bullpen or bench. Can Rios have two solid seasons in a row?

---2013 is the last chance for Gordo. If he doesn't hit (and he did turn it on this September) I think it's time to say adios or at make him your super utility player.

---Lastly, I think the Sox need to find a closer or back up closer. I'm hoping Addison Reed grows into the role but he makes things way to close right now. Feel free to have some 1-2-3 innings once in awhile.
Bob
I would hate the see the Sox with a middle of the order of Dunn, Reynolds and Flowers. You'd get a lot of Ks and meaningless solo shots. What this team needs are more players that will get on base at better clip, too many free swingers right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
It's a mistake to assume the Tigers won't be adding to their roster as well.

I'm hoping that Peavy's contract was a sign that AJ is gone. They aren't exactly friendly.
The Tigers will already be adding Victor Martinez back to the middle of the lineup. Fielder, Cabrera, and Martinez (L,R,L...3,4,5). Yeeesh! I've already heard rumblings that they want to resign Anibal Sanchez as well. We already know their owner wants to win a championship before he dies. So expect some more big splashes in the FA market from Detroit this winter.

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Old 11-05-2012, 03:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Tyler Flowers is not the answer at catcher. Imagine Flowers and Dunn in the lineup together for 120 or so games. I shudder to think of it.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Tyler Flowers is not the answer at catcher. Imagine Flowers and Dunn in the lineup together for 120 or so games. I shudder to think of it.
65 home runs, 160 walks, 160 RBIs. Oh the humanity.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I don't see what options the Sox have other than to add to the core that is already in place.

They have several veteran players with contracts that are tough to trade. They have little MLB-ready talent in the minor leagues.

Even if they wanted to overhaul the roster this offseason, I don't think they could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I think that decision has been made. The investment in Peavy is a clear sign the Sox are trying to win now. Whether they will be successful is an open question, but this is not going to be an offseason where the Sox starting looking toward 2015.
I think, hope is probably the better word, that the White Sox are going to be retooling their farm system while continuing to plug holes with veterans and hope to catch lightening in a bottle. The immediate plan calls for the Tigers to continue to struggle over the course of 162 games and that they can stay close. With their rotation they should be able to compete, whether or not it is enough to get over the hump I am not sure. But hopefully they can develop some more guys so by 2014, 2015 they can have a team of young and talented guys under contract who can compete for years to come. Kind of like where the White Sox were in 1991 or so.

Quote:
While those are nice totals, I think the White Sox have too many low average, low OBP guys in their lineup already. I know that Dunn walked over 100 times last year but his OBP was STILL .333 and his OPS was "just" .800, that doesn't make up for his .205 average. He leaves way too many runners on base in scoring position. Maybe with a healthy Konerko hitting behind him his production will increase. I know that some people say that batting average doesn't matter but I think if you watch Dunn every game you get to see how many guys he leaves on base and how much that average DOES matter.

Go Sox!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:15 PM
The Grand Wazoo

The thought of Tyler Flowers behind the plate for 100 + games makes me somewhat slightly nauseous.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
The thought of Tyler Flowers behind the plate for 100 + games makes me somewhat slightly nauseous.
Why? You've watched AJ suck behind the plate for years. I'll go with the youngster who is a good defender, has some power and doesn't show up his teammates.

@5187
I agree that we need some guys that make more contact. However, If we get those numbers out of a DH and C, I'm not going to complain. We need to get more contact out of 3rd and 2nd.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:33 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
y
Why? You've watched AJ suck behind the plate for years. I'll go with the youngster who is a good defender
Where is this player you speak of?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Where is this player you speak of?
Did you watch Flowers behind the plate this year? He's improved by leaps and bounds. He's athletic for his size and mobile. He has a good arm and isn't afraid to call for pitches in the dirt. There is no comparison between him and AJ.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Terrible isn't it.
But we'll be weak at bunting or moving those runners up.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:55 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
So Dunn's going to hit 50+ homers and have 120+ RBI's and walks next year? Sign me up for that!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Don't forget the 400 strikeouts.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 11-06-2012, 12:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Did you watch Flowers behind the plate this year? He's improved by leaps and bounds. He's athletic for his size and mobile. He has a good arm and isn't afraid to call for pitches in the dirt. There is no comparison between him and AJ.
Flowers has a better arm but I think that both he and AJ still struggle with pitches in the dirt. AJ struggles are largely a result of him being 36 and approaching the end of his career, Flowers has just always been bad.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
So Dunn's going to hit 50+ homers and have 120+ RBI's and walks next year? Sign me up for that!
That's a production assumption I'm not willing to make. Even if it comes true both will be flirting with the Mendoza line and striking out at record rates. No thank you.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Eric Chavez had himself a nice comeback season.

Would he be someone to kick the tires on?

Perhaps 100- 110 games at 3B?