White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 05:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Brenly not returning to booth

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/10/...oadcast-booth/
Wouldn't be shocked to see someone hire him as manager. Maybe the Rockies?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:47 PM
WSI Personality

Default The Bad Guys On The Northside

The Bad Guys on the Northside have always been good at the blame game. Are they blaming Brenly for their lack of success in 2012? I remember after the 2004 season the Cubs players openly blamed their TV announcers,( Chip Caray and Steve Stone) for not making the playoffs that year. Both Caray and Stone never worked for the Cubs again after that.

Last edited by Golden Sox; 10-17-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 PM
WSI Personality

Can't blame him. There isn't enough money in the world to pay me to suffer through 140 Cubs games per year in person. Imagine trying to make that crap sound good.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:06 PM
WSI Guru

Brenly is the top pick for the Diamondbacks booth according to a person I know who works for Arizona.

Lip
Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
Can't blame him. There isn't enough money in the world to pay me to suffer through 140 Cubs games per year in person. Imagine trying to make that crap sound good.
He skips out on 22 games?

Any word in whether or not he's taking Hawk with him?

All hail The Rick
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm wondering was he pushed out the door or is it voluntary so he can be available to the Diamondbacks?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Brenly is the top pick for the Diamondbacks booth according to a person I know who works for Arizona.

Lip
Lip, does your source know if Mark Grace wasn't resigned because of his performance in the booth, or strictly due to his DUI's?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
The Bad Guys on the Northside have always been good at the blame game. Are they blaming Brenly for their lack of success in 2012?
Is this really necessary?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
The Bad Guys on the Northside have always been good at the blame game. Are they blaming Brenly for their lack of success in 2012? I remember after the 2004 season the Cubs players openly blamed their TV announcers,( Chip Caray and Steve Stone) for not making the playoffs that year. Both Caray and Stone never worked for the Cubs again after that.
I don't know about Chip, but I know McDonough had a lot more to do with Steve Stone being fired or "not brought back" than any of the Cubs players did.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Of course the talk of Kerry Wood replacing Brenly starts. Kerry's done a lot for the organization and the city, but come on now. How about getting someone who can comment on the game itself who also has a bit of experience in broadcasting?

Same with the talk about Mark Grace coming "home" to the Cubs. The man got fired due to his drinking problems. Probably better to let him get healthy before rushing him into another job!

As much as I can't stand the guy, Mike Murphy might actually make watching Cubs games interesting.

Breast Cancer Awareness doesn't end on Oct. 31st. Folks, get educated on it and get involved. Ladies, please get tested. For more info, visit www.komen.org.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Murphy might be worse than Hawk. Here's what kind of weird delusional person Mike Murphy is, when he still worked at WSCR he would read off emails that came into the show much like any other show. And there would always be this one guy, can't remember the name, that would always write in and agree with everything Mike said on whatever the topic of discussion was. Always on about how right he always was, how smart he was,etc. Turned out it was actually Murphy sending himself the emails from his wife's email account.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:19 PM
WSI Guru

Part of the Cubs requirements according to Jim Katt, who at one time applied for a job with them are basically to not criticize to harshly and to promote the "atmosphere" surrounding the team. (i.e. Wrigley Field). Jim told me that in his interview.

Don't know if that's changed since McDonough left (I suspect it hasn't). Jim found those requirements hard to take when he applied and I think he's probably happy he didn't get that job.

Lip
Old 10-17-2012, 09:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

I suspect it has since McDonough departed as that was his work. I remember Brenly ripping on some of the Cubs players over the past few years.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 PM
WSI High Priest

That's unfortunate. I liked Brenly a lot as a color commentator guy. If the rumors are true, he should do just fine in Arizona.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
Of course the talk of Kerry Wood replacing Brenly starts. Kerry's done a lot for the organization and the city, but come on now. How about getting someone who can comment on the game itself who also has a bit of experience in broadcasting?

Same with the talk about Mark Grace coming "home" to the Cubs. The man got fired due to his drinking problems. Probably better to let him get healthy before rushing him into another job!
Let's not forget that the Cubbies and many of their fans celebrated a radio broadcaster, Ron Santo, who could hardly utter an intelligible, coherent sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Is this really necessary?
Is this really necessary? Is this is what it's come down to, where a poster on WSI can't take a playful poke at the Cubbies without getting scolded?

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 10-17-2012 at 10:45 PM.