White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 04:42 PM
WSI Prelate

On a cassette tape, I have a portion of a WMAQ recording of a Sox-Brewers game at County Stadium from either '78 or '79. Harry did a promo spot for Stroh's and ended it with "Let's enjoy one together."

Also, it was either here or somewhere else, but haven't there been claims about Mike Shannon and drinking? Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 PM
WSI Personality

I have a picture somewhere of Harry in the Comiskey Park press box holding a Stroh's can.

Bud man...
Old 10-05-2012, 04:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Medias B's View Post
Also, it was either here or somewhere else, but haven't there been claims about Mike Shannon and drinking? Correct me if I am wrong.
From what I've been told, you aren't wrong. A Cards fan friend of mine claims Shannon hits the beer hard during the game.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 AM
WSI Personality

So Hawk has been sober this whole time? That can't be.

You can't play baseball without Pants.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
So bad that I'm surprised the hipsters aren't drinking it in Wicker Park/Bucktown.

Anyone else remember the brief Carta Blanca era as the official beer of the White Sox?
Was that a package deal with Yago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmWpgOmLBzk

Never drank it, but man it looked nasty.

And yes, Falstaff would totally be a hipster beer had it survived.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:19 PM
WSI Regular

Harry and his Falstaff, circa 1975. Looks like Bill Mercer, his radio partner, in the background.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:18 AM
WSI Regular

I remember during the Falstaff years you could hear Harry take a slug of beer and often it was followed with an "aaaahhh"

I remember him talking with his mouth full of Chicken Unlimited too...
Old 10-11-2012, 11:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'm pretty sure Mike Shannon (radio) in St. Louis drank (drinks?) on air.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:41 PM
WSI Prelate

What would a drunken Farmio sound like? Paging King Xerxes. Paging King Xerxes.

Last edited by Viva Medias B's; 10-13-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:38 AM
WSI Regular

Default Fallflat beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I don't know if i'm wrong but I remember Harry Carey really slurring his words by the 7th inning when I listened to him as a kid in the 80's. I kinda wish Steve Stone would write a tell all book on his experiances with Harry Carey and Ken Harrelson. I guarantee I would buy the book.
Mid - 70's, Harry had a broadcast sidekick JC Martin. Sometimes it seemed Harry would intentionally drink JC under the table. Once, an extra inning game finished and JC was to do the on-field after game interview. Harry kept saying "OK, we'll go now to JC Martin for the post game interview..." but JC never made it to the field that night. They showed the player standing there waiting, but no JC Martin, so they just bagged it that nite. Yeah I remember hearing Harry crack one open and pour full a glass of beer, or holding up a bottle that was open.

Also remember the Falstaff commercials with Gabe and Walker? They was
my dad's favorite.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:20 AM
WSI Prelate

I know someone who said they were in Anaheim to see the Sox play the Angels, and after the game Harry had to be helped to a waiting cab because he, well, you know.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:33 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Are there any tapes available from that time period to confirm or refute that contention? Posters who weren't alive then are going to read stuff like this and make a very misinformed judgement about that era of Sox broadcasting.

I'm sure there are plenty of recording from that time period with Harry and Jimmy on the radio.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Here's what I remember about Falstaff. Sam Elliott was in training for the Big Lebowski.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:34 PM
WSI Personality

Halsey Hall was Herb Carneal's broadcast partner on Twin's radio broadcasts
during the 1960s and early 1970s. Halsey was an old school baseball beat writer who came of age in the 1930s and 40s when hard liquor was the preferred adult beverage and when the it was not uncommon for reporters to have more than a few shots during working hours. Naturally, when the Twin's were playing some of those cold weather night games in April and September, things could get quite interesting on radio. Not only did Halsey like to drink during games, he was also known for his generous hospitality on the road as he liked to travel with a portable bar and a variety of potable beverages. Back in the day when bars and liquor stores were closed on election day, a young baseball writer asked Hall why he brought so much booze on road trips. Halsey's reply: "My son, you never know when you will run into a local election." Naturally Halsey was well prepared to travel, but my favorite quote about the man was written by St. Paul Pioneer Press columnist Joe Soucheray who covered the Twins as a young beat writer. He observed that "when boarding a plane for road trips, Halsey sounded like a German glochenspiel band marching down the aisle."
Halsey also broadcast Golden Gopher football for a number of years. During one Minnesota-Michigan game, he quipped: "Michigan takes the field in blue jerseys and maize pants. How they got into Mae's pants, I'll never know."
Old 08-31-2014, 07:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
So bad that I'm surprised the hipsters aren't drinking it in Wicker Park/Bucktown.

Anyone else remember the brief Carta Blanca era as the official beer of the White Sox?
I think it was co-official with Meister Brau. Ack!