White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Baseball Broadcasters Who Drank While Broadcasting

I am under the presumption that this topic is safe enough to discuss here. For years, we knew that Harry Caray used to drink beer while broadcasting baseball games. With us, he would drink Falstaff, then Stroh's, and later Budweiser. There are legendary stories of the effects of the beer influence Harry's on air broadcast. There is the legendary story, or urban legend, of a hot day and doubleheader in Kansas City when Harry said "It's so hot the third baseman is Melton."

In the Major League movies, we see Bob Uecker's character, Harry Doyle, often consume alcohol on the air. Was this a common thing with the old time announcers? I cannot imagine announcers doing it today.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Official Professor

Harry's the only one I remember doing it in all my time of watching or listening to Sox games. I can't imagine Bob Elson slamming back brews. I'm reasonably certain Brickhouse didn't.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 AM
WSI Personality

I don't know if i'm wrong but I remember Harry Carey really slurring his words by the 7th inning when I listened to him as a kid in the 80's. I kinda wish Steve Stone would write a tell all book on his experiances with Harry Carey and Ken Harrelson. I guarantee I would buy the book.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I don't know if i'm wrong but I remember Harry Carey really slurring his words by the 7th inning when I listened to him as a kid in the 80's. I kinda wish Steve Stone would write a tell all book on his experiances with Harry Carey and Ken Harrelson. I guarantee I would buy the book.
It's Caray not Carey.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Medias B's View Post
I am under the presumption that this topic is safe enough to discuss here. For years, we knew that Harry Caray used to drink beer while broadcasting baseball games. With us, he would drink Falstaff, then Stroh's, and later Budweiser. There are legendary stories of the effects of the beer influence Harry's on air broadcast. There is the legendary story, or urban legend, of a hot day and doubleheader in Kansas City when Harry said "It's so hot the third baseman is Melton."
I actually remember hearing him say it in 1975. I've always thought of it as an incredibly bad pun.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
I actually remember hearing him say it in 1975. I've always thought of it as an incredibly bad pun.
Bad puns are good puns.

2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus PNC Park in Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Medias B's View Post

In the Major League movies, we see Bob Uecker's character, Harry Doyle, often consume alcohol on the air. Was this a common thing with the old time announcers? I cannot imagine announcers doing it today.
You left out his "7 ounce buddies." ("I've got my 7 ounce buddies up here in the booth...") They were 8-packs of 7 ounce bottles of Miller.

By the Seventh Inning of games, Jimmy Piersall had to translate for us what Harry was saying. A doubleheader? Harry was useless in Game Two.

All hail The Rick
Old 10-03-2012, 09:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
You left out his "7 ounce buddies." ("I've got my 7 ounce buddies up here in the booth...") They were 8-packs of 7 ounce bottles of Miller.

By the Seventh Inning of games, Jimmy Piersall had to translate for us what Harry was saying. A doubleheader? Harry was useless in Game Two.
Are there any tapes available from that time period to confirm or refute that contention? Posters who weren't alive then are going to read stuff like this and make a very misinformed judgement about that era of Sox broadcasting.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Brickhouse's sidekick Harry Creighton used to drink Hamm's on camera. He'd be ready to fall out of the booth after a doubleheader. That's where "Hey, Harry" started. He left broadcasting and wound up with a Hamm's distributorship. No lie.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...creighton-beer
Old 10-03-2012, 10:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

I remember Harry Caray pitching Falstaff when I was a little kid. My question is was Falstaff a quality beer or was it crap?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
I remember Harry Caray pitching Falstaff when I was a little kid. My question is was Falstaff a quality beer or was it crap?
Low-end.

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W

Next Game: August 30
Old 10-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
It was so bad that when the beer shipments would arrive in Viet Nam, by the end of the month the only things left were Falstaff and Carling's Black Label. Even guys in Nam wouldn't drink it unless they had no other choice.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
It was so bad that when the beer shipments would arrive in Viet Nam, by the end of the month the only things left were Falstaff and Carling's Black Label. Even guys in Nam wouldn't drink it unless they had no other choice.
How could that be when it was ''The choicest product of the brewers art''.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
So bad that I'm surprised the hipsters aren't drinking it in Wicker Park/Bucktown.

Anyone else remember the brief Carta Blanca era as the official beer of the White Sox?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
So bad that I'm surprised the hipsters aren't drinking it in Wicker Park/Bucktown.

Anyone else remember the brief Carta Blanca era as the official beer of the White Sox?
They might be if it was still around.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.