White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 11:45 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm rarely disgusted after a win, but include me among those who feel such after this one. I didn't watch, but when I checked scores to see the Sox put up six more in the 9th, I almost felt mocked.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Winner 2014 WSI PTC Contest

I rarely get to watch Monday games live due to a class, so I'm watching it now. Gotta say I love how fired up Santiago was in the 6th. I don't know if he knew about the White Sox strikeout record being at stake, but he sure acted like it. If he can put it together like this consistently and against better teams, I'd like to see him plugged into the starting rotation in 2013.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
"Grantland Rice once said 'It's not whether you win or lose,it's how you play the game'.Well,Grantland Rice can go to Hell."

-Gene Mauch,after the Angels collapse of 1986
The unluckiest manager ever. His 64 Phillies did the biggest el foldo in baseball history.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm not convinced the sudden burst of offense is simply down to "the pressure being off". This team has been streaky all year. There were losing streaks before... was that due to mid-season pressure? It is inexplicable I know but for some reason this team was hot, then cold, then hot again. We didn't have time to repeat the cycle at the end.

Of course, people want to know why and who to blame.. fix it or else, yadda, yadda.

I think it was a bad case of luck with a little tiredness mixed in coming at exactly the wrong time and we didn't rebound in time. I'm not going to let it ruin what was actually a pretty enjoyable summer all things considered.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:21 PM
WSI Guru

The offense went in the tank in mid June / early July, 13 games or so. What happened the final two weeks wasn't new on the season.

Lip
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018 View Post
I have never been less excited by a White Sox grand slam than I was tonight.

The one Hudson hit on Saturday once we were down 10-0 ranked right up there. Like I said in the postgame thread on Saturday, both the White Sox and Twins with "too little, too late grand slams" were the cherries on top of the **** sundae.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
Just saw the Tigers clinching on Sportscenter. That could have been us.
That's been my point this entire past four weeks; it SHOULD have been us... the division was ours for the taking but we spun our wheels and pissed it away.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Location: Yes in Ranhco Sahuarita, AZ...(WAS near the home of White Sox spring training baseball)
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
I've cried over this team more in the last 24 hours than I have for any other Sox team dating back to 1989. Yes, I cried over a baseball team. Cue making fun of ChiSoxGirl. I'm completely heartbroken. I can't even talk about the Sox with my students anymore when they bring them up because it hurts too much.

Scoring 11 runs tonight was like salt in an open wound. It took the Sox FOUR GAMES to score 11 runs prior to tonight. FOUR GAMES!!!! It's mind-boggling, maddening and heartbreaking all at once.

JB98 told me the other night that he thought the Sox would come out of their offensive slump when the pressure was gone. Well, the pressure came off with yesterday's loss and wouldn't you know, the bats came alive tonight.
Same here...will take a while to digest the end of the season...especially since we had been in first for so long. Kept waiting for a huge 5 or 6 game winning streak but this team never showed any spark. They played so tight for a team expected not to be in first.

Look at the O's or A's, they played loose and actually had "fun" playing winning baseball. I wonder if you ask any White Sox player if they had any "fun" playing the last month or so......
Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
ChisoxGirl: I'd never make fun of a Sox fan who cared to that extent. Good for you that you give a damn to that degree. That's not teal or sarcastic. I appreciate your loyalty.
Thanks for that. I truly believed in this team with all of my heart and they took that heart and broke it.

I got very defensive of them and Robin during those two weeks of hell. I always wanted to say something along the lines of, "Don't you dare talk about Robin and this ball club that way" around here when people would hate on them, but I held my tongue because I knew how outnumbered I'd be in my defense of them. As I said in my game report on Sunday, just once I wanted to be the one who was right about the Sox. They let me down and I'm devastated.

Feeling the way I have these last two days, I can't help but be reminded of Bart Giamatti's quote, "It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chilly rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops."

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisk4ever View Post
I understand. There is crying in baseball. Heartbreak goes with the game.
There sure is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Tom Hanks said "there is no crying in baseball". Shows what the hell he knows.
Right?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford Bobby View Post
Same here...will take a while to digest the end of the season...especially since we had been in first for so long. Kept waiting for a huge 5 or 6 game winning streak but this team never showed any spark. They played so tight for a team expected not to be in first.

Look at the O's or A's, they played loose and actually had "fun" playing winning baseball. I wonder if you ask any White Sox player if they had any "fun" playing the last month or so......
I think that's why I'm so heartbroken over this collapse; we were in first place for over 120 days. That division championship that the Tigers celebrated last night, which I have refused to watch any clips of, was ours. I will root for whomever the Tigers play until they're knocked out (in addition to the Orioles and Cardinals).

To this moment, I can't understand why the Sox felt the pressure that they did down the stretch. They were the ones in first place by three games, not Detroit. They weren't the ones chasing the division leader, they were the division leader! The pressure came off after Sunday's loss and look what they've done the last two nights, specifically last night - clutch hitting, not relying on the home run and stringing together multiple hits. It's mind-boggling, frustrating and devastating all at the same time. Sigh! It's going to take awhile to get over this.
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12