White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 11:53 AM
WSI Personality

To add insult to injury the season ticket holder post season tickets arrived yesterday. My spirits really picked up after Friday's win and having possible world series tickets in my possession and then this game happened.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPretzel View Post
How much interest would Dunn have from other teams during the offseason?
I hope it's enough to move him. Some posters have been savaged for criticizing Dunn this year when he got off to such a "good" start, but I've seen more than enough.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiffleBall View Post
To add insult to injury the season ticket holder post season tickets arrived yesterday. My spirits really picked up after Friday's win and having possible world series tickets in my possession and then this game happened.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:15 PM
WSI Guru

Robin wants to return, so I think those rumors can end:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2...come-back.html

Lip
Old 09-30-2012, 12:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I hope it's enough to move him. Some posters have been savaged for criticizing Dunn this year when he got off to such a "good" start, but I've seen more than enough.
It would be tough to give up a guy with 40+ homers and 90+ RBIs but all those Ks and a .205 BA drive me to drink.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 09-30-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:39 PM
WSI High Priest

The problem is not Dunn, The bigger problem is Konerko. You need 2 things from your 3-4-5, hits (preferably HR) and RBIs. Station to Station baseball is not the result of the heart of your order, its the result of lack of talent surrounding it. This year, we had poor offensive production from 3b, 2b, LF, and only average production from SS, CF and 1b.

when 2/3 of your lineup is Average at best, you are screwed.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
The problem is not Dunn, The bigger problem is Konerko. You need 2 things from your 3-4-5, hits (preferably HR) and RBIs. Station to Station baseball is not the result of the heart of your order, its the result of lack of talent surrounding it. This year, we had poor offensive production from 3b, 2b, LF, and only average production from SS, CF and 1b.

If 2/3 of the lineup is average, we need the other 1/3 to be All-Star quality. AJ, Rios and Dunn are among the best at their positions, but they cannot produce like Fielder and Cabrera (and next year, Victor Martinez).
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Yup.

Dunn has done exactly what he was expected to do--hit home runs and drive runs in. The strikeouts come with the territory. Nobody will be disappointed if he's moved, but he's not the problem.

Konerko has been flat out awful since the All Star Break, and he's been hitting fourth all year. I don't know if it's the injury or if he's just lost it (like 2009 Dye). But he has not provided what is needed in the heart of the order.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

I think the problem with Dunn is that you need to surround him with fairly good hitters in order to live with that .205 average, when you have a lineup full of .250 hitters that .205 average and all those strikeouts become very glaring.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4L View Post
I was unfortunately at the game (can't turn down free tickets in 136, 5 rows off the field), and I let the entire team have it today. They deserve to be booed, and heckled at this point. As someone said, "if they don't care, why should we?" I'm NEVER "that" fan to boo your home team, or say anything negative to the players about their performance, but dammit, I did my part my bringing my ass out to the Cell to support them, to only get **** on every time. They deserve to be ridiculed. Its unacceptable. I once again don't blame anyone for not showing up. Good luck getting fans behind this team for next year. Can't even draw 30,000 on a FOX Saturday midday game in a pennant race on the final homestand of the year. Its not our fault, its the team/organization. So sick of them showing absolutely no heart, no care, and giving almost lethargic effort. Absolutely unacceptable, while once again, Detroit attempts to nearly give us another game to live.
Grow up. You think the players don't care? Get a clue.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Not just glaring.... Some a bats have looked absolutely futile and pathetic in crunch situations... When they do get a pitcher in any kind of jam, they dont even make the guy work to get out of it... How many times have we seen when a guy has lost the plate after a walk to Dunn, Paulie comes up hacking at the first pitch? Dude, you have atleast a 4 pitch Muligan in that situation.. It just seems all of their hitting sense evaporated in the second half.. Agree with an earlier post of the lack of doubles output. Whats that all about?..Everbody trying to crush the ball to Omaha?

BK59
Old 09-30-2012, 03:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKlu59 View Post
Not just glaring.... Some a bats have looked absolutely futile and pathetic in crunch situations... When they do get a pitcher in any kind of jam, they dont even make the guy work to get out of it... How many times have we seen when a guy has lost the plate after a walk to Dunn, Paulie comes up hacking at the first pitch? Dude, you have atleast a 4 pitch Muligan in that situation.. It just seems all of their hitting sense evaporated in the second half.. Agree with an earlier post of the lack of doubles output. Whats that all about?..Everbody trying to crush the ball to Omaha?

BK59
I agree but what the hell are the manager and coaches doing about it, don't they say anything to these guys about working the count or trying to hit the ball to the opposite field. This same crap has been going on since 2006.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Robin has "over managed" his bullpen only lately, as starters haven't gone as deep, as innings for Jones, Crain and Thornton have piled up, and as Robin had thus had to turn increasingly to recent callups to get through games. Keep in mind also that due to multiple injuries, the desire to protect the youngsters, and general ineffectiveness, Robin and Coop have had to juggle.

This isn't like 2005, where Ozzie had five veteran workhorses he rode, plus a rookie - McCarthy - that he could plug in where needed.

If you're going to grade Robin on his pitching moves, he needs to be graded on the curve.
Frater, as always, make a lot of good points and you're right about starters not being able to go deep into games and our regulars just feeling the results of a heavy workload. The team is running on fumes.

I just feel that out of all the MLB teams that are in the hunt, you'll never see a big league manager use guys like Omogrosso, Heath, Axelrod, Septimo, and Marinez all in the same game. Some of those guys arguably shouldn't even been on a MLB 40 man roster, let alone pitching in a game where we're supposedly fighting for our playoff lives.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:04 PM
WSI Guru

Nell:

Robin told the hitters he recommended bunting against Cabrera with his bad legs when they last played at Detroit.

Gonzo said he was basically ignored except for a player or two.

What can you do?

The days when Eddie Stanky could fine them or bench them unfortunately are long gone.

Lip
Old 09-30-2012, 05:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKlu59 View Post
BK59
Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I agree but what the hell are the manager and coaches doing about it, don't they say anything to these guys about working the count or trying to hit the ball to the opposite field. This same crap has been going on since 2006.
Yes both of you guys have it right. I'd like to add that this is possibly the rottonest I've ever felt at the end of a season. Yeah I know, nobody expected them to be in it in September and all that. Well they were in it, had so many chances to put it away and then to die quietly like this. Just a rotten feeling.