White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 03:08 PM
WSI Guru

We're they sober at the time?

Lip
Old 09-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
1st half: 84 Games, .208/24/61 134 K
2nd half: 56 Games, .210/15/29 68 K

I wouldn't say that's M.I.A. Overall production is down, but his per game average isn't all that different.
OPS: 1st half: .859; 2nd half .760. That eliminates the need to worry about "per-game." His production is down, and is terrible for the three hole.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 09-22-2012, 03:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
OPS: 1st half: .859; 2nd half .760. That eliminates the need to worry about "per-game." His production is down, and is terrible for the three hole.
Some bad luck too. By my estimation he's lost about 25-30 hits this year because of the shift. Last year he didn't have bad luck, he just plain stunk.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:55 PM
WSI High Priest

In 2005, the Indians only got to within a game and a half of the Sox and people were panicking then. There has been about a 1,2 or 3 game distance between the Sox and Tigers for a really long time this year and that's a long time not being able to relax. This season is really tough. I only hope they can pull away and win this season by six games.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:01 PM
WSI Guru

I don't care if they win it by percentage points... it would be such a shame to lead the division for over 115 days, to basically be in first place since mid May and to come up short the final ten days.

Lip
Old 09-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Some bad luck too. By my estimation he's lost about 25-30 hits this year because of the shift. Last year he didn't have bad luck, he just plain stunk.
That's not bad luck that's refusing to adapt and allowing other teams to play the shift effectively against you. When Dunn was hot earlier in the year he was going to left a lot more. It still wasn't a bunch, but he even hit homers to LF. It was enough to keep defenses more honest against him to some degree.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
True but wait ten days and do the same thing.

If we lose the division you could do:

If someone told you that the white sox would be in dirt place the majority of the year only to lose it in the last 10 games and not make the playoffs, you would be pretty damn pissed.
No, I'd still put it in perspective of expectations. Others are free to do that and I can even understand it, but it's not me. Still, I expect to win the division this year, so sol good...
Old 09-22-2012, 05:09 PM
WSI Personality

After watching a first place team almost all year and seeing what the Sox did to the Yankees and Rangers--the two AL "powerhouses"--this season, I won't be content with anything less than a playoff appearance. Just because everyone was wrong about how good the Sox were back in March has no bearing on how I feel about this group in September.

If they miss, it's going to feel like a huge wasted opportunity to me and that's what i'll remember about this year-a really good team that, for some reason, never showed up against Detroit and KC and missed out on a playoff spot. A spot they would have had easily if they were even average against those two teams
Old 09-22-2012, 05:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Right now the Sox are the 6th best team in the AL record wise, Detroit: 8th. Neither team is all that good, they just had the luck of being drawn in the same ****ty division.

Making the playoffs would be nice, but it's not like it would be a tragedy if this team didn't make the postseason, since they are a wholly forgettable team. I predicted at the season's start that if EVERYTHING went the Sox' way they would compete for the 2nd wild card, which as it turns out is exactly what they're doing. It just turns out the Tigers are doing the same.

Choking down the stretch sucks, but they're not the kind of team that has shown the potential to do anything when it matters.

Last edited by amsteel; 09-22-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:29 PM
WSI Guru

Central:

You said it pretty close to how I feel...now throw in missed chances in 2003, 2006 and 2010...and another blown shot wouldn't be a good thing.

Amsteel: The thing is though once you get to the playoffs, anything can happen and with Sale and Peavy as your top two starters, they could steal a short series.

I'd rather make the playoffs and lose three straight than blow the lead after four months and stay home.

Lip
Old 09-22-2012, 05:35 PM
WSI High Priest

What scares me is Detroit is looking alright, they looked good today, excited. Most importantly they are playing to win. The Sox, we are playing to not lose, trying to not lose the division. Miguel Cabrera and Verlander seem willing to put the team on their back and make sure they win, no one is doing that for the Sox. No one is stepping up to carry this team.

I am not saying its over, but Konerko or Dunn or Rios, one of them has to step up and lead this team to the playoffs. The Sox need a leader, and right now they don't have one.

Honestly, I don't give a crap if the Sox were supposed to be a bad team. Yes they are playing well beyond their talent level, but at this point in the season, missing the playoffs is just a choke job, no matter what team you are on. A lot of teams are playing above their talent level right now, The 2005 Sox played above their level all the way to a title. Missing the playoffs because we couldn't beat the ****ing Royals, that is not acceptable for any ball club who thinks they are a winning franchise.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:49 PM
WSI Guru

Dome:

I recall Noneck making that point I think a few weeks ago. He said Detroit has three 'superstars' Verlander, Fielder and Cabrera, guys who can put a club on their back and carry them. He wondered who on the Sox was capable of taking charge and pushing the team across the finish line.

And I agree it would be sickening to blow a playoff spot because a Royals pitching staff that ranks near the bottom in most categories held the Sox to three runs or less in 11 (it might be 12 - I don't have the info in front of me here in the studio) of the 18 games. That's disgusting.

Lip
Old 09-22-2012, 06:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
What scares me is Detroit is looking alright, they looked good today, excited. Most importantly they are playing to win. The Sox, we are playing to not lose, trying to not lose the division. Miguel Cabrera and Verlander seem willing to put the team on their back and make sure they win, no one is doing that for the Sox. No one is stepping up to carry this team.

I am not saying its over, but Konerko or Dunn or Rios, one of them has to step up and lead this team to the playoffs. The Sox need a leader, and right now they don't have one.

Honestly, I don't give a crap if the Sox were supposed to be a bad team. Yes they are playing well beyond their talent level, but at this point in the season, missing the playoffs is just a choke job, no matter what team you are on. A lot of teams are playing above their talent level right now, The 2005 Sox played above their level all the way to a title. Missing the playoffs because we couldn't beat the ****ing Royals, that is not acceptable for any ball club who thinks they are a winning franchise.
That's because they played the Twins. The Tigers are no different then the Sox are; neither is going to run away with the division.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:59 PM
WSI Guru

Soxman:

The difference is the Tigers play nobody but the Twins and the Royals the rest of the way. The Sox draw the Angels, Cleveland and Tampa.

Big, BIG, difference...which is why Sox fans on this board were saying a month ago they had to have the biggest possible lead going into the final two weeks because of the schedule differences.

The Sox had chance after chance to extend that lead to four maybe even five games and did not.

It could wind up costing them badly.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 09-22-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:05 PM
WSI Personality

I need a hug as well