White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwitt76 View Post
Detroit ends the season with 3 games in KC.
...and we have three at Cleveland which I think is a much easier task. Worst case if drop the two game lead going into the final series we would have a slight edge in my opinion.

But lets just clinch it at home agaisnt the Rays and party likes its 2005.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:48 AM
WSI Regular

I'm lifting my self-imposed ban on posting because I realized it too was a product of being scared.

According to Farmio, the Sox have been in first place for the past 111 games. Keep the faith and say to yourself, "Silly fool, scared is for Cubs fans."
Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
I dunno, I think that the abysmal record against the Tigers is more to blame.
Yes, but Detroit is a respectable team. The Royals are 19 games under .500 against teams other than the Sox.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

With the possible acquisition of Terry Francona in Detroit, Tiger fans implicitly want the Tigers to lose too, I bet we aren't the only ones.

We're gonna be alright, the Sox have came too far and have too much pride to lose now. By next Sunday, the only think Sox fans will be thinking about is how Sale will do Game 1 of the ALDS.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman View Post
Yes, but Detroit is a respectable team. The Royals are 19 games under .500 against teams other than the Sox.
And they swept the Kittens the last time they met...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-21-2012, 11:42 AM
WSI Guru

Dome:

That 6-12 record against Detroit isn't helping matters. That's 12-24 against two teams in your own division.

JDM:

Actually what happens now (i.e next two weeks) WILL impact next season. Another blown postseason spot will make it even more tougher to get the fan base, already angry, to buy tickets. That impacts the payroll Hahn (if he's named G.M.) will have to work with.

Plus if the Sox do make the postseason additional home games (which I assume will be sold out) will generate additional revenue that might be applied to next year's payroll. Making the playoffs this year if I remember right, guarantees the Sox at least two home games.

Then you have the additional benefit of some fans stepping up and getting season tickets for next year based on the results this year.

I get what you are trying to say but to just say there's no impact at all on next year is wrong.

Lip
Old 09-21-2012, 11:44 AM
WSI Guru

Voodoo:

As Roman posted last night, that sweep 'upped' the Royals record vs. Detroit to 4-7.

Still nothing to write home about is it?

Just based on the numbers I'd be surprised if say Detroit would finish with a losing record to them...unlike another team we know and love.

Lip
Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 AM
WSI High Priest

We're still in first until we're not. As long as we take care of business, we're in.

The Sox have bounced back after each time we lost a series to the Royals.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:51 AM
WSI Guru

And let's hope that streak will continue.

Lip
Old 09-21-2012, 11:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Dome:

That 6-12 record against Detroit isn't helping matters. That's 12-24 against two teams in your own division.

JDM:

Actually what happens now (i.e next two weeks) WILL impact next season. Another blown postseason spot will make it even more tougher to get the fan base, already angry, to buy tickets. That impacts the payroll Hahn (if he's named G.M.) will have to work with.

Plus if the Sox do make the postseason additional home games (which I assume will be sold out) will generate additional revenue that might be applied to next year's payroll. Making the playoffs this year if I remember right, guarantees the Sox at least two home games.

Then you have the additional benefit of some fans stepping up and getting season tickets for next year based on the results this year.

I get what you are trying to say but to just say there's no impact at all on next year is wrong.

Lip
This team is built to win this season. It's not built for long term success, whether we like it or not. Will a playoff apperance increase season ticket/advanced sales? Sure, we may get a small boast. But, a boast in revenue isn't magically going to fill all the long term questions/holes. With a differnet GM, maybe he will change some things. Even if it was, there is still not such thing as next year. As we have seen, things change year in and year out.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:00 PM
WSI Guru

The reason for hope is this: No more games with Detroit or Kansas City.

White Sox record since the All-Star break:
vs. Tigers: 2-8
vs. Royals:5-10
vs. Other: 27-12
Total: 34-30

You add another layer to that, and six of the 12 losses in the "Other" category are to just two clubs -- Boston and Baltimore.

It's really quite remarkable the Sox have a two-game lead in their division when they've spent a healthy chunk of the second half getting owned by two divisional opponents.

Really weird team, really weird season. Take a look at the splits here. You'll note the Sox have a .500 record (3-3) against the Oakland A's. Their winning percentage against every other team is either .600 and above, or .333 and below.

The Sox own several teams, and several teams own them. Just strange.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-21-2012, 12:02 PM
WSI Regular

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/

We have a 73% chance of winning the division based on BP's simulations.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm just really enjoying this .. it's great to be so excited everyday and have something to look forward to at this time of year ..
Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm not worried. The Sox have played good baseball against just about every team not named Royals or Tigers. They're in the driver's seat right now, and I don't have confidence that Detroit is suddenly going to catch fire these last 2 weeks. They are a team with a horrible defense that has cost them and will continue to cost them games. Going to be a fun final 2 weeks.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

As long as the Sox win, they're in. My advice to Sox fans is don't pay attention to Detroit games anymore; as long as the Sox win it doesn't matter.