White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-03-2012, 08:59 AM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,576
Blog Entries: 1
Default End of an era

Today is the last day of National League baseball for the Houston Astros.

When playing in the Astrodome, they were the foremost speed, defense and pitching teams playing "NL-style baseball" (along with the Cards) and it quickly became my favorite, decades before Ozzie tried to add some of those elements to the Sox.

50 years of tradition and history down the drain, thanks for nothing Bud.

The Astros in the A.L.? Ain't gonna be the same...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:10 AM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Today is the last day of National League baseball for the Houston Astros.

When playing in the Astrodome, they were the foremost speed, defense and pitching teams playing "NL-style baseball" (along with the Cards) and it quickly became my favorite, decades before Ozzie tried to add some of those elements to the Sox.

50 years of tradition and history down the drain, thanks for nothing Bud.

The Astros in the A.L.? Ain't gonna be the same...
Ain't gonna be the same?

Nothing is the same. Baseball has gone through a lot more significant changes over the past 20 years than one team flipping leagues.

With interleague play being the biggest.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:37 AM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 4,349
Default

Bud has done everything he can to NFLize MLB. A lot of the special features of baseball are now gone, but hey who am I to hold up progress?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:37 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Ain't gonna be the same?

Nothing is the same. Baseball has gone through a lot more significant changes over the past 20 years than one team flipping leagues.

With interleague play being the biggest.
Have to agree. The Yankees flipping leagues? The Red Sox? The Cards? The Cubs or White Sox? Huge deal. The Astros? Not so much. Not any bigger than the Brewers, for that matter.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,756
Blog Entries: 5
Default

What is the record for most consecutive 100-loss seasons? Houston is already on 2 and counting and I can't believe that going to the better league's best division is going to help them improve their on-field performance much.

Early over/under on # of wins next year for the Astros has to be in the 49.5 range.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:43 AM
MeteorsSox4367 MeteorsSox4367 is online now
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In a Midway flight pattern
Posts: 3,847
Default

I don't know if it matters much but Texas will be without National League baseball. Hopefully, the schedulers will have the good sense to have Dallas (Arlington) and Houston on the same roadtrips.

I'd hate to see the Sox go from Oakland to Houston and then back to Seattle, for example.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-03-2012, 04:00 PM
cub killer cub killer is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post

50 years of tradition and history down the drain, thanks for nothing Bud.

The Astros in the A.L.? Ain't gonna be the same...
Down the drain? I vehemently disagree, their NL memories will live on forever.

As others have said, it's not a big deal. They didn't have any real NL rivalries. If they start winning again, everything will be fine.

to the new era in Astros baseball. Hopefully attendance will pick up again, and baseball popularity in Houston will rise to higher levels.
__________________
The regular season is merely the qualifying phase for the playoffs. The regular season does not determine the best team, nor the order of who is best.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-03-2012, 04:44 PM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,576
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
Down the drain? I vehemently disagree, their NL memories will live on forever.

As others have said, it's not a big deal. They didn't have any real NL rivalries. If they start winning again, everything will be fine.

to the new era in Astros baseball. Hopefully attendance will pick up again, and baseball popularity in Houston will rise to higher levels.
Good post, but it is a big deal to Astros fans.

Also, they do have an NL rivalry with the Cardinals (who had a farm team in Houston before the Colt 45's/Astros were established) and lesser ones with the Cubs, Reds and back in the 2-division NL West days with the Dodgers. Thankfully they're playing the Cardinals, Reds and Brewers in interleague next year to keep that going.

New uniforms, logo, etc. to be announced on Nov. 2nd. Can't wait to get a current orange and blue Astros hat again.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Ain't gonna be the same?

Nothing is the same. Baseball has gone through a lot more significant changes over the past 20 years than one team flipping leagues.

With interleague play being the biggest.
Yeah, if Bud had his way there probably won't even be an American League and National League by the end of the decade.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an MLB Eastern and Western "conference" 10 years from now.....and I think that would be a terrible thing.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Zakath Zakath is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway
Posts: 7,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
What is the record for most consecutive 100-loss seasons?
Philadelphia Phillies, 5 consecutive seasons, 1938-42. From 1936-45, the Phillies had 7 seasons where they lost more than 100, which is scary considering that it was only a 154-game schedule up until 1961.

Most recently, the Royals had 3 consecutive 100-loss seasons from 2004-6, and 4 out of 5 (2002, 2004-6).

Interesting trivia in looking this up: What is the oldest team in the majors that has NEVER had a 100-loss season?

Answer: The California/Anaheim/Los Angeles Angels, entered the majors in 1961 (never lost more than 95 games in a season). The only other team in the majors that has never lost 100 is the Colorado Rockies, through their 20 years. The New York/San Francisco Giants come close, only having one 100-loss season (exactly 100, in 1985) in their 130-year history.
__________________
I want my $2.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-0

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Zakath; 10-03-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 PM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 4,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Yeah, if Bud had his way there probably won't even be an American League and National League by the end of the decade.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an MLB Eastern and Western "conference" 10 years from now.....and I think that would be a terrible thing.
Yes I believe that is exactly what Bud wants.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.