White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
It seems like a sport to savage every ex Sox player on this site. All things considered Mark Buehrle was a model of stamina and consistency. He had a bad first half in 2003 and then rebounded nicely. He had decidedly down years in 2006 and 2010. Other than that he was consistently good. Even in the down years, giving the team 200+ innings. His lifetime ERA+ is a healthy 120 and in only one year did it dip below 100. In White Sox history he's 7th all time in pitching WAR and 6th in wins. Among left handers only Billy Pierce and Doc White might be considered superior to him. I'm not questioning the Sox decision to let him go, just some of the criticism on this thread. Since the Reinsdorf group bought the team who has been better on the mound for the Sox than Mark Buehrle? Others have had better individual years to be sure, but career wise who has been better?
It seems like a sport to savage every current Sox player, coach and front office person. I love Mark Buehrle, but I'm not going to disparage John Danks because the Sox chose him.

Danks record is irrelevant considering he's had notoriously poor run support. He needs to grow as a pitcher though. Resigning him was a good move then, and its a good move now IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Is it because you see Buehrle declining, or Danks finally filling his potential?
I know this post isn't directed towards me, but I expect the Sox to start competing in 2014. MB will be 35 and Danks will be 28. Combine the age with Danks upside and it's a no brainer.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I know this post isn't directed towards me, but I expect the Sox to start competing in 2014. MB will be 35 and Danks will be 28. Combine the age with Danks upside and it's a no brainer.
Thanks for saving me an answer! I agree.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
As a soft-tossing lefty, I think Buehrle will be fine for years.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
As a soft-tossing lefty, I think Buehrle will be fine for years.
Yeah, if Mark wants to, I see now reason he can't be just as effective into his forties.

And for those who are trying to manufacture a marked decline in Mark Buehrle's performance, the numbers just don't back you up. His relevant numbers are practically identical every year, save one.

I like John Danks, and I hope he turns it around, but he is no Mark Buehrle.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
Danks will make 14.25/yr. 2013-2016.
According to Cot's Contracts website he is making 15.75 mil thru 2016

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EE&output=html
Old 05-17-2012, 07:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Yeah, if Mark wants to, I see now reason he can't be just as effective into his forties.

And for those who are trying to manufacture a marked decline in Mark Buehrle's performance, the numbers just don't back you up. His relevant numbers are practically identical every year, save one.

I like John Danks, and I hope he turns it around, but he is no Mark Buehrle.
The ERA+ totals for each pitcher since 2007:

Danks
86-rookie year

Buehrle
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox

The only problem is that regardless of age, danks isn't a good pitcher anymore. He has lost FB velocity and thus also minimslized the effectiveness of his changeup.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post

Danks
86-rookie year

Buehrle
So, Danks has been below league average three times in the last six seasons, whereas Buehrle has been below league average no times.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
So, Danks has been below league average three times in the last six seasons, whereas Buehrle has been below league average no times.
Yes.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
By the way, the only time Buehrle has had a better ERA+ than Danks is in Danks rookie season and last season, in case you hadn't noticed. (This season is still ongoing, so it would seem premature to count it at this point.)
Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
By the way, the only time Buehrle has had a better ERA+ than Danks is in Danks rookie season and last season, in case you hadn't noticed. (This season is still ongoing, so it would seem premature to count it at this point.)
My initial point was that Buehrle's value lies in his consistency and his durability. These numbers argue my point for me.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Danks
86-rookie year

Buehrle
Thanks for posting this. Like I said, I don't criticize the Sox for letting Buehrle go. I do think that Danks was and is a big risk. You can talk all you want about his age, but the man peaked in 08 and it's all downhill since then.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
This is true, but Danks has been on a downward slide since 2008. If you weren't looking at Danks and Buehrle, but Pitcher 1 and Pitcher 2 based on stats alone nobody is going to rank Pitcher 1 over Pitcher 2.

Of course they aren't Pitcher 1 and Pitcher 2 they are a 27 year old and a 33 year old. Buehrle has a chance of putting on a great year if everything goes right, especially in the NL, but he has already peaked. Danks is young and still has time to turn his career around. I hope he does, but I've been disappointed in him since 2010.

I think the NL is good for Mark, though. After a few seasons in the NL I think you'll see more asterisks in his similar pitchers than you would if he stayed in the AL.