Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 08:31 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I wonder if Greg Walker is going to be mentioned in every post game thread this season. Okay, I haven't checked every single thread this year so maybe he hasn't been mentioned in every one, but it sure seems like it. Aren't we done beating that dead horse yet?
Much like how it only seems like one poster continues to beat the utterly nonsensical "The Sox never beat rookie pitchers!" (even though the Sox have beaten 4 pitchers they've never seen before already this season), it only appears to be a 1-2 who keep bringing up Walker every chance they get. I guess they think it's funny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
At least we got Tony Pena for him!

God, remember when people were wondering if he would develop into Konerko's eventual replacement at 1B? Yikes. Things have not worked out quite right.

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 04-27-2012, 08:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingrt View Post
Tonight's loss wouldn't have been so bad if they would have won Wednesday's game against Oakland. Nights like Thursday happen in baseball. Days like Wednesday should not happen in baseball.

Days like Wednesday do happen in baseball... sometimes they happen to teams better than us. Mickey Owen knew all about it.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
At least Viciedo started hitting the ball.
Viciedo has 3 HRs, 3 RBIs and 4 runs. Not especially the run producer we were expecting so far...
Old 04-27-2012, 09:00 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I wouldn't bank on them getting consistent, huge nights from Saltalamacchia, Sweeney, and Youkilis

Just one game. Win tonight, baby!
Sweeney leads the majors in doubles. Must be something in those Boston Baked Beans. I thought WS would have the advantage in the match-up of 5th starters but Humber had nothing on a pitcher's type of weather night.
Tonight they throw their #4 in Bard ( their version of Chris Sales) against Danks. White Sox need a big effort from Danks against a Red Sox lineup w 4th and 5th left handed hitters.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
God, remember when people were wondering if he would develop into Konerko's eventual replacement at 1B? Yikes. Things have not worked out quite right.
He was a Sox prospect. We should have known the eventual outcome.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 AM
WSI Personality

Why have the Sox had a hard time winning at home lately? When Rios was asked if he was OK with getting pinch hit for a couple of days ago, he said something like, yes, he was OK with it because his power numbers are not good. Now Rios is hitting the ball really well by going to right and performing like we all hoped he would. But he is watching his power numbers and is not satisfied. Look for him to go back to pulling and jacking and striking out and popping up. I am guessing that the rest of the team has the same thought process, so when they get home to the launching pad, they have one thing on their minds, even though in Seattle they set aside the power numbers because of the park dimensions and did well.

We think they did well because they won. But they are looking at a different set of stats. Somebody needs to remind Rios and others that "Only one stat matters: W."
Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassagstdu View Post
Why have the Sox had a hard time winning at home lately?
I would guess it has to do with their overall lack of "being good."
Old 04-27-2012, 10:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I would guess it has to do with their overall lack of "being good."
doubs, a lot of people would like to scoreboard watch and pretend the Sox are contenders this season. I say, let them have their fun.

I said, IMO, 2011 would be a success if it ended Ozzie's reign. 2012 will be a success if it ends Kenny's (bonus if it helps us realize we need a ton of actual prospects).
Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassagstdu View Post
Why have the Sox had a hard time winning at home lately? When Rios was asked if he was OK with getting pinch hit for a couple of days ago, he said something like, yes, he was OK with it because his power numbers are not good. Now Rios is hitting the ball really well by going to right and performing like we all hoped he would. But he is watching his power numbers and is not satisfied. Look for him to go back to pulling and jacking and striking out and popping up. I am guessing that the rest of the team has the same thought process, so when they get home to the launching pad, they have one thing on their minds, even though in Seattle they set aside the power numbers because of the park dimensions and did well.

We think they did well because they won. But they are looking at a different set of stats. Somebody needs to remind Rios and others that "Only one stat matters: W."
Dunn pinch hit for Rios the other day, so the rest of the team is going to start trying to do nothing but pull the ball? Teal? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 04-27-2012, 10:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Patronize
Old 04-27-2012, 11:50 AM
WSI Regular

The game was disappointing from the "get go" although I am sure the cold numbed many fans. I thought the response to Humber's arrival on the mound was lukewarm and most people didn't stand up to congratulate Paulie on #400 during his first plate appearance. I thought the crowd would be better being the Red Sox are in town and the mostly positive road trip. I saw many ushers showing people to their seats so you could tell these fans dont come to the park very often (and they were NOT wearing Red Sox attire). I dont think the $9 / $27 ticket promo had much of an impact on the crowd.

Last edited by palehosepub; 04-27-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
And things didn't go well after Mark Buehrle's first no-hitter. And the White Sox tanked after Wilson Alvarez's no-hitter. And the 1969 Cubs were 8 games up on the Mets when Kenny Holtzman pitched his first-no-hitter in August 1969. For that matter,

It's just coincidental, of course, although some fans will look for curses.

Last season went south without anybody pitching a perfect game or a no-hitter. I think the season went into the sewer after Juan Pierre dropped a fly ball.
Don't forget that the '22 Sox were only 2 games back until Robertson pitched his perfect game. It was all downhill after that.

Coincidence my ass!

Old 04-27-2012, 02:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehosepub View Post
The game was disappointing from the "get go" although I am sure the cold numbed many fans. I thought the response to Humber's arrival on the mound was lukewarm and most people didn't stand up to congratulate Paulie on #400 during his first plate appearance. I thought the crowd would be better being the Red Sox are in town and the mostly positive road trip. I saw many ushers showing people to their seats so you could tell these fans dont come to the park very often (and they were NOT wearing Red Sox attire). I dont think the $9 / $27 ticket promo had much of an impact on the crowd.
Not exactly sure what you are talking about. I was in section 140 last night and Paulie got a standing ovation when he came to the plate. Humber got a nice round of applause coming in from the bullpen too. As far as the noise level, it was 39 degrees and many people around me were wearing gloves which muffles quite a bit of clapping. Overall, it was just a miserable night to be at the ballpark.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 04-27-2012, 05:03 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Dunn pinch hit for Rios the other day, so the rest of the team is going to start trying to do nothing but pull the ball? Teal? ?
I think you missed my point.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:09 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Viciedo has 3 HRs, 3 RBIs and 4 runs. Not especially the run producer we were expecting so far...

Quentin has 0, 0 and 0 because he is on the DL again...So Viciedo is producing more then he has..!!