White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 10:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

I give Beckham credit because he is not "messed up" when he is on the field. No doubt something radical has to be done with his hitting approach but so far the new staff have been doing a lot of good things. I say give them a chance to figure it out. As long as we are playing baseball as team and winning as a team, let's not do too much to break that upi.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Mark Gonzales

Viciedo said De Aza told him to move closer to LF line prior to making diving catch in 7th.
I love that. The man's taking charge.
De Aza really looks the part, and hopefully he keeps getting better.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
I give Beckham credit because he is not "messed up" when he is on the field. No doubt something radical has to be done with his hitting approach but so far the new staff have been doing a lot of good things. I say give them a chance to figure it out. As long as we are playing baseball as team and winning as a team, let's not do too much to break that upi.
I don't think that they can let this continue for long though, as it basically becomes a death spiral, and once the book is written on a player, it's hard to get out of it. His confidence at the plate is clearly shot and pitchers know how to throw to him to get him out, or more accurately, to allow him to get himself out. And if one pitcher knows, the whole league knows.

A couple of days off every week to give him some time in the batting cage with the hitting instructor couldn't hurt. He's still young enough and there's clearly ability there that can come out if it's corrected, but the longer it goes, the worse it gets.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
I don't think that they can let this continue for long though, as it basically becomes a death spiral, and once the book is written on a player, it's hard to get out of it. His confidence at the plate is clearly shot and pitchers know how to throw to him to get him out, or more accurately, to allow him to get himself out. And if one pitcher knows, the whole league knows.

A couple of days off every week to give him some time in the batting cage with the hitting instructor couldn't hurt. He's still young enough and there's clearly ability there that can come out if it's corrected, but the longer it goes, the worse it gets.

Yes, I can accept all of that except maybe giving him days off already. He's already at the bottom of the hitting spiral... can it get worse?

We're not dealing with a team of top notch talent all over the field, but we just might be dealing with a bunch of players and coaches that are pulling together on the same rope and I'd ride it. That's why I love baseball.... a team that plays the whole game well as a unit can beat a team of mashers. Now, if Ventura decides to focus on Beckham's hitting problems and give him time off to fix it I won't be complaining.

But I'm not a Major League manager or coach and I like the new staff. They've surprised me a bit. How many times are we going to see Konerko sent rumbling around third to beat a throw home on a close play? Hopefully not very often. Injury worries alone might have stopped me from sending him. But against Detroit in the home opener when everyone has contributed as a unit? I loved it. The coach and captain showed everybody something there.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Couple of points:

McEwing sending PK was the right call,as that ball hung up in the corner,and only a tremendous cutoff throw to the plate made it close. That was a strike on a line from halfway up the right field line...great throw,and it was bang-bang,so another good call by McEwing.

As for Gordo, I think you suffer with his bat at the bottom of the order at least until the Sox slump. Then give him some more days off.
But, his glove is very,very good. On the game-saving double play,Alexei made a great diving stop,and glove toss to Gordo,but Gordo showed great hands in reacting to that quick toss,and completing the play..not an easy catch,and if he fumbles it,tying run scores.

Alexei is not exactly hitting right now also,so I think Gordo needs to be given the same consideration. Same with Dunn...wish the fans would not boo him on opening day. He has looked better,but maybe he is having flashbacks in Soxpark or something,but he needs to be given a couple of weeks of flailing before the booing begins. He was looking better til yesterday.
If you look at Tiger message boards,they seem to hate Delmon Young with a passion. They hate on him thruout the game,then he hits a two run homer and they give him a pass for an inning,then he botches up the flyball and they go right back to hating him. To me, he is a sox-killer,and I hope they run him out of town. I guess every fanbase has to have a goat to dislike.

I agree that it was a classic opener...had everything you want in a home opener,or any ballgame...and most of all...a Sox Winner!!
Old 04-14-2012, 01:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konerko05 View Post
Thank you, everyone. For answering this question.
I was only able to see the highlights, but this story might help you a little. Jake has done OK so far but I think he tired in the 7th, and of course I worry about him breaking down. As for now so far so good.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...4953542.column