Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 09:14 PM
WSI Guru

Default Kenny Talks About His Tenure

Has some interesting things to say. Seems to admit that because of circumstances the Sox are in a bind, says he'd love to invest more in international talent, the minor leagues etc. but has to have the money to do so first.

I think he's just being honest with the situation... as others have said, he takes orders too and can't simply do what he wants. Although he also has to understand part of the reason the Sox are in a bind is because of things he's done.

Anyway here's the link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,4964175.story

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 04-04-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Has some interesting things to say. Seems to admit that because of circumstances the Sox are in a bind, says he'd love to invest more in international talent, the minor leagues etc. but has to have the money to do so first.

I think he's just being honest with the situation... as others have said, he takes orders too and can't simply do what he wants. Although he also has to understand part of the reason the Sox are in a bind is because of things he's done.

Anyway here's the link:

Lip
Very true. Every team has some amount of money it's able to spend. Kenny Williams over the past few seasons has probably spent a higher percentage of that money on domestic major league talent than any other organization. That was his choice, and right now it appears his choice didn't pan out. Not saying I disagreed with a majority of his choices, but ultimately he gets paid to be the White Sox GM, not me.

Without a playoff appearance this year or next, I think KW is gone. And I think that's perfectly fair.

Last edited by BRDSR; 04-05-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:45 AM
WSI Prelate

LOL. More of the "50 cents" nonsense.

It's easy to blame Jerry for the lack of funds for international scouting, the draft budget and player development, as a VP and the GM Kenny has some say as to the budgets for those areas.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post

It's easy to blame Jerry for the lack of funds for international scouting, the draft budget and player development, as a VP and the GM Kenny has some say as to the budgets for those areas.
The A's, Twins, and Rays have all been playoff teams (and one of them went to the World Series.) in the past and they had far less in their budget than KW.

KW's act is beyond worn out....it was time for him to leave (along with Ozzie) after last season.

Edit: I feel bad for Robin in all of this. It's not going to be easy starting your first managerial job with a lame-duck GM above you.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome25 View Post
KW's act is beyond worn out....it was time for him to leave (along with Ozzie) after last season.

Exactly. So sick and tired of reading the same **** from KW over and over. He has to go. This is the least excited I have ever been for a baseball season.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

The official scapegoat for 2012 revealed before the first pitch.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome25

The A's, Twins, and Rays have all been playoff teams (and one of them went to the World Series.) in the past and they had far less in their budget than KW.

Edit: I feel bad for Robin in all of this. It's not going to be easy starting your first managerial job with a lame-duck GM above you.
He's had over a decade. One year that will be forever remembered, for start to finish. But his inability to create depth in the organization is why the team could never become a consistent playoff participant. It's unfortunate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
The official scapegoat for 2012 revealed before the first pitch.
It was revealed as soon as Ozzie was traded and it was announced Kenny was keeping his job. This team is entirely Kenny's design and so is any mess or success that comes with this team.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
It was revealed as soon as Ozzie was traded and it was announced Kenny was keeping his job. This team is entirely Kenny's design and so is any mess or success that comes with this team.
I don't know. I sort of feel like the hiring of Robin and a very inexperienced coaching staff gives him an out. The upcoming season could be a no-lose one for Kenny. If the team doesn't make it to the playoffs he has the inexperienced coaching staff to fall back on. He'll tell everyone that he knew there were going to be growing pains (in fact, I think he already has said there will be). However, if they do make it, his plan/team was solid all along.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktssox View Post
I don't know. I sort of feel like the hiring of Robin and a very inexperienced coaching staff gives him an out. The upcoming season could be a no-lose one for Kenny. If the team doesn't make it to the playoffs he has the inexperienced coaching staff to fall back on. He'll tell everyone that he knew there were going to be growing pains (in fact, I think he already has said there will be). However, if they do make it, his plan/team was solid all along.
That might be true but he was the guy who hired Robin and if the "growing pains" turn into Quade-esque gaffes (which I think is unlikely) then that will turn on Kenny quickly because it just reinforces his complete inability to properly evaluate talent. If the Sox have another losing year and another bad year at the gate I would think the minority owners would force Jerry's hand and demand some action be taken.

As for Kenny's complaint he didn't have the funds to invest in the draft and international scouting had he not traded for an injured Jake Peavy or made a waiver claim on Rios he could have invested that money into the draft, remember 2009 was supposed to a year where we started to rebuild on the fly but Kenny choose to invest that money in two very high priced veterans.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

I know people need a focal point for their emotions be it someone to blame for failure or someone to credit for success. It is simplistic to think that the failure of the 2012 White Sox or the success of it will be down to one single person. It's a little more complicated than that.

We're not out of it yet.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
I know people need a focal point for their emotions be it someone to blame for failure or someone to credit for success. It is simplistic to think that the failure of the 2012 White Sox or the success of it will be down to one single person. It's a little more complicated than that.

We're not out of it yet.
Obviously I am being a bit pessimistic, I would argue realistic, but it is hard to look at the White Sox and not think of the words directionless and finiancially hand strung, the reason we are in that shape is because of the moves of our GM who always wanted to "win now" at the expense of the future. A good GM has to try to win now while keeping an eye on the future, Kenny has never been able to do the latter and now the White Sox are facing the costs of that.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post

The 50 cents nonsense and the garbage about how they're different from all of the other major market teams is old. It's all bull****. If the organization was serious about being a contender then we wouldn't hear this crap from KW. I fear the organization will never get its act together until Jerry sells the team.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome25 View Post
And so have the Sox (been to the playoffs and WS). What's your point?

All of those franchises have also had decent to prolonged down periods. Same as the Sox (save the Rays who are still holding together their talent pool they acquired from being terrible for a decade for the time being). So what is your point? You want the Sox under KW to be more like the A's and Twins? They have been.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Anyway here's the link:

Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisox12 View Post
Exactly. So sick and tired of reading the same **** from KW over and over. He has to go. This is the least excited I have ever been for a baseball season.
This is what really aggravates me about KW. I agree that they're in a bind now. But, where was the investment in the minor leagues, international talent, etc. when the team was riding high on ticket sales after the 2005 season?

KW somehow had $10M or so to throw at Manny Ramirez and Edwin Jackson, but now the excuse for having almost no talent in the organization (which has been a problem for YEARS) is a lack of money. I'm not buying it.

This is definitely the least excited I have been about the Sox in a long time. It isn't just what I think their W-L record might be. At least when the team was sucking during years like 1999 or 1989, I was excited about the young talent they had waiting in the wings. Now, we have a mediocre (not horrible) team but nothing much to look forward to on the horizon except for more excuses by Sox management about how they're in a bind.

The Sox may be painted into a corner right now, but Kenny's the one who is holding the brush.

This team got a great bump in being competitive and relevant in Chicago after 2005. Unfortunately, it looks like Sox management has squandered the opportunity to continue that while the other team in town as struggled. Now it's looking like we're back in the same old pre-2005 conundrum: can't compete because we can't spend, can't spend because we don't have enough revenue coming in, can't get enough revenue coming in unless we win. Ugh. Maybe some day, this team will have ownership/management that will run it like a big market team.