White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 12:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Post Torii Hunter, Michael Cuddyer admit Twins were scared of Yankees in playoffs

Confirming the obvious here:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...out-by-yankees

"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all."- Former Orioles Manager Earl Weaver
Go Sox and Go Bearcats!
Old 03-24-2012, 01:21 AM
WSI Guru

How soon before we hear our own former players admitting the same thing regarding the Twins over the past decade?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
How soon before we hear our own former players admitting the same thing regarding the Twins over the past decade?
Our players were scared of the Metrodome, not the Twins.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 03-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
The White Sox looked pretty scared of the Twins in 2010 and 2011 (until the second half at least).

Go Sox!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:58 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
The White Sox looked pretty scared of the Twins in 2010 and 2011 (until the second half at least).
That 2010 Thome walk-off game was one of the worst losses in my life as a white sox fan. Still haunts me
Old 03-26-2012, 12:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwitt76 View Post
That 2010 Thome walk-off game was one of the worst losses in my life as a white sox fan. Still haunts me
You mean the one off of Thornton? Yeah, that one was pretty bad. I still remember the volume and depth of despair that eminated from my wail as I saw that ball sail out of the park down the right field line. :(

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 03-26-2012, 12:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The 5-13 record vs Twins in 2010 and the 1-7 record in 2011 before the entire Twins team went on the DL suggest otherwise.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

I say it started late in 2000 when the Sox lost to the Twins but won the division on that day. From that moment on the Twins were never the same.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
The 5-13 record vs Twins in 2010 and the 1-7 record in 2011 before the entire Twins team went on the DL suggest otherwise.
You guys are cherry picking one season (2010) probably because it is fresher in your minds. (I don't even count 2011 since neither team was really in the race in the second half and the Sox were losing to everyone in April of last year, not just the Twins). Looking at the big picture of our rivalry with the Twins dating back to 2001, the bulk of the Sox ineptitude against Minnesota happened in the Dome, not at The Cell. The Twins/Yanks comparison also isn't 100% accurate since the Sox did manage to completely overcome the Twins in 2005 and in 2008. The Twins never overcame the Yanks in the many seasons they matched up with them.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:51 PM
WSI Personality

I'm really hoping that this entire "Sox fearing the Twins" thing left town with Ozzie and that Robin won't put up with that crap.

"I give you five minutes when we get there. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything a minute on either side of that and you're on your own. I don't sit in while you're running it down. I don't carry a gun. I drive."
Old 03-26-2012, 03:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Postgame thread for that one was epic, though.

7-15-11

Team Mexico
Team USA
Es mejor vivir un día como un león, que cien años como un cordero.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
For me, Tito Landrum will always have that title.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
For me, Tito Landrum will always have that title.
I remember Tito Landrum but I was too young for it to impact me as a fan. It's not one specific game for me but the 3 game sweep at the Metrodome in late September 2003 that pretty much sealed our fate was the about the worst I felt as a Sox fan. Watching the Cubs beat the lowly Pirates and Reds about 10 times right after that series and win the NL Central just poured salt on the wounds. The 2003 Sox team could have been very dangerous in the playoffs had they gotten in and I was infuriated that they never got the chance because they were better than the Twins that year but found a way to beat themselves as usual. Loaiza, Colon, and Buehrle would have been a problem for any opponent in a playoff series. Why Jerry Manuel decided to start a flu ridden Esteban Loaiza in the first game of that series just blew my mind. He was feverish and sweating before he threw the first pitch. It set the tone for the whole series.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
I remember Tito Landrum but I was too young for it to impact me as a fan. It's not one specific game for me but the 3 game sweep at the Metrodome in late September 2003 that pretty much sealed our fate was the about the worst I felt as a Sox fan. Watching the Cubs beat the lowly Pirates and Reds about 10 times right after that series and win the NL Central just poured salt on the wounds. The 2003 Sox team could have been very dangerous in the playoffs had they gotten in and I was infuriated that they never got the chance because they were better than the Twins that year but found a way to beat themselves as usual. Loaiza, Colon, and Buehrle would have been a problem for any opponent in a playoff series. Why Jerry Manuel decided to start a flu ridden Esteban Loaiza in the first game of that series just blew my mind. He was feverish and sweating before he threw the first pitch. It set the tone for the whole series.
Ah, yes.

The 2003 season.

So many moments to choose from...

"In the first half, everybody plays. The second half is the time for winning."

"I can't imagine any reason short of an emergency for playing Frank at first base."

"Frankly, I think it's (making his scheduled Yankee Stadium start) a bigger deal for Buehrle than it is for us."

"Anyone who disagrees with me just doesn't understand baseball."
Old 03-26-2012, 07:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai_sox View Post
I'm really hoping that this entire "Sox fearing the Twins" thing left town with Ozzie and that Robin won't put up with that crap.
Yes ! no more "Gardy and his Piranhas" play the game the right way bull****.
Go out there to kick their ass and don't give an inch. If you get beat no need to tell 'em how wonderful they are. First time they drill Paulie make sure the first
pitch to Mauer is in the middle of his back. There, i'm ready for baseball.