White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 04:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

For the life of me, I can't think of one.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 PM
WSI Personality

Johnny Bench.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisox77 View Post
Johnny Bench.
Read the thread title again.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Read the thread title again.

"I did, and my answer is still Yaz."
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLUBHOUSE KID View Post
So tough to pick one:

Nick Swisher, Curtis Granderson, and David Wright
Swish wasn't even likable when he was on the Sox.

I always liked Granderson though. He grew up a Sox fan.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:29 AM
WSI High Priest

It was Hunter Pence when he was with the 'Stros, but now that he's with the Phils, no dice - not the same...

I'll go with Tim Lincecum. He's fun to watch.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Ichiro and Vlad. I've always kind of viewed them as the anti SABR stars of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 02-18-2012, 10:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
Swish wasn't even likable when he was on the Sox.

I always liked Granderson though. He grew up a Sox fan.
Nick Swisher was likeable when he played for the A's, although fans were vocal about hating his game in his last season, making it easy for Billy Beane to jettison him. Swisher did charity work in the community and was a popular character. He tried to take that with him when he left Oakland, but his game and demeanor as a teammate prevented it from taking hold in Chicago. I have no idea if he has ever caught on in New York. He certainly isn't a go-to guy as he needed to be in Oakland and was expected to be in Chicago, so that might help.

I was told that Curtis Granderson grew up an Atlanta Braves fan, but my source might be confusing him with another player who grew up in White Sox territory.

Saying my favorite non-White Sox player is Mark Buehrle would violate the spirit of the question, as accurate as it may be. A couple of years ago, Buster Posey won me over, although I was skeptical when the Giants brought him up. I hope he comes back strong in 2012.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I was told that Curtis Granderson grew up an Atlanta Braves fan, but my source might be confusing him with another player who grew up in White Sox territory.
As a child, Granderson grew up a fan of the Atlanta Braves, choosing not to root for the hometown Chicago Cubs because he often rushed home from school to watch Saved by the Bell and was disappointed when a Cubs game was on instead.
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
Old 02-19-2012, 04:23 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Nick Swisher was likeable when he played for the A's, although fans were vocal about hating his game in his last season, making it easy for Billy Beane to jettison him. Swisher did charity work in the community and was a popular character. He tried to take that with him when he left Oakland, but his game and demeanor as a teammate prevented it from taking hold in Chicago. I have no idea if he has ever caught on in New York. He certainly isn't a go-to guy as he needed to be in Oakland and was expected to be in Chicago, so that might help.

Saying my favorite non-White Sox player is Mark Buehrle would violate the spirit of the question, as accurate as it may be. A couple of years ago, Buster Posey won me over, although I was skeptical when the Giants brought him up. I hope he comes back strong in 2012.
Swisher was okay with the Sox for a bit then Ozzie and him did not get along at all and even the teammates were hating Swisher. I know how bad that situation can be. Nick has lots of love in NYY and it started quickly. I am upset for this for one reason, now people love him and never he knew him on the A's.

U.S. Cellular Proudly Presents...Your 2010 Chicago White Sox!