White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 PM
WSI High Priest

On the phone, said some buzz they wanted Smorel, but had some signability concerns at that spot for passed. White Sox still will not overpay slot.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Harold Reynolds just said Courtney Hawkins was his favorite pick of the night. I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or worse.

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away, or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna wanna load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Sounds like an on-the-cheap pick for which the Sox are infamous.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Smorel would have put the Sox at an A+ night 1 grade. They probably end up with a B now, Home Run in round 1, Strike out in Round 2.
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Sounds like an on-the-cheap pick for which the Sox are infamous.
More like this draft class sucks, so why not take some risky, high upside high schoolers? It's not a bad philosophy for this year's draft.

Tomorrow will be college pitchers from Rounds 2-10.
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I don't think they say much bad about any prospect. The kid has good power, it may develop, but the rest of his game is not great, especially at that slot, with what was there. It was a bad, very bad, reach.

But he should be an extremely easy sign!!!!
You mean the MLB Network isn't going to pan one of its members picks? Shocking!

That pick was a horrible reach with the built-in excuse that they wouldn't be compensated if the pick didn't sign.

I'll give them a pass (in that they can't get that pick back next year) that Laumann knew what it would take to keep Smoral away from his NC commit and that it was way, way past any budget Jerry would allow.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
More like this draft class sucks, so why not take some risky, high upside high schoolers? It's not a bad philosophy for this year's draft.

Tomorrow will be college pitchers from Rounds 2-10.
In theory it's a good plan. But they have to be high upside. Keon simply is not.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:44 PM
WSI Prelate

It was very unlikely that they would sign Smoral, so there was no reason to pick him. Nor was there a reason to make a pure absurd pick.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 PM
WSI High Priest

I need an answer as to why Appel slipped to the Pirates.
I'm pretty pleased with getting Hawkins. We'll see if this high upside approach pays off. As far as Barnum goes, the guy has some power and bat speed. He will need to understand the nuances of hitting instead of getting by on physical gifts.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Keon Barnum was a Miami signee so let's not act like he's a complete bum. The kid is 19 years old and has a long time to develop. It's insane to, on the day of the draft, declare any pick a complete reach or a sure thing. To do so show little understanding of how the draft actually plays out.

Smorel would have been a wasted pick. The White Sox historically have never paid above slot and certainly won't do so when there are strict caps in place. To do so for a high school pitcher, coming off injury noless, wasn't going to happen.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Not a bum, just a 2 round reach.
Reaches are easier and cheaper to sign at or below slot.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
In theory it's a good plan. But they have to be high upside. Keon simply is not.
I don't know much about Keon at all, but MLBTV compared his upside to Ryan Howard...so I would say that qualifies. He has a LONG way to go to get there but he's a left handed bat with power. Let's not act like he's hit his ceiling. FWIW the pick a few slots earlier was compared to Scott Podsednik...now that is a safe pick.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Not a bum, just a 2 round reach.
Reaches are easier and cheaper to sign at or below slot.
It's a reach according to various websites, and even some scouts...based on talent alone.

I know we dismiss signability as being cheap, but it actually matters in baseball, particularly for high school players anyway, especialy under the new rules.

The 37th player on MLBTV's big board may not even get drafted since it's going to take big money to sign him away from football.

There may have been better options but if it frees up money to sign another prospect or to invest in a free agent, it's not a terrible pick. Time will tell is all I'm saying.

His stats look pretty pedestrian admittedly (15 RBI's in a Florida high school season hitting over .400 and with 5HR?) but he does have a good looking swing, from the left side...those don't grow on trees. This is a high upside pick in my opinion, that may or may not pan out, but likely won't cost much outside a wasted pick (and at 48 there are few guarantees so I can life with it.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't follow the draft like you guys, but let's not go crazy dogging the Sox. We're getting more production from the last few drafts than any other team in baseball. Sale=top of the line stud. Reed=stud. Beckham=decent player, potential stud. Mitchell=huge setback with good upside. I'm an optimist though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 06-05-2012, 12:49 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I don't follow the draft like you guys, but let's not go crazy dogging the Sox. We're getting more production from the last few drafts than any other team in baseball. Sale=top of the line stud. Reed=stud. Beckham=decent player, potential stud. Mitchell=huge setback with good upside. I'm an optimist though.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.