White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Wasn't his K rate closer to 23% earlier in the season? Yeah, this is an encouraging sign. I hope that he can continue to produce.

I just wonder who he's going to replace in the OF when/if he comes up to the Show.
Pipe Dream: If Dunn gets close to his career numbers for the first half, trade him and put Tank at DH/1B.

Realistic Scenario: Release Fukodome at end of season (I believe it's a club option in his contract).
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 05-02-2012, 11:17 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc

Pipe Dream: If Dunn gets close to his career numbers for the first half, trade him and put Tank at DH/1B.

Realistic Scenario: Release Fukodome at end of season (I believe it's a club option in his contract).
I believe the Sox can non-tender the Tank after this year so Mitchell could take over LF in 2013 if the Sox give up on Dayan.

Alternatively, Konerko's contract expires after 2013, too, not outrageous to think Mitchell in LF and Viciedo and Dunn share 1B/DH in 2014
Old 05-02-2012, 12:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Eric Stults threw 7 innings today. 2 runs, 0 walks.

Good chance he'll get the call for next Monday's doubleheader. Whether he'll start or not, is up in the air. Probably will just depend on how the Sox have to use Axelrod this coming weekend.

Josh Phegley is 2-4. Hitting .373
Old 05-03-2012, 06:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Myles Jaye making his first start for Kanny tonight. He will be an interesting follow.

5 SO through 2.0 IP so far.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Also worth noting is that Tyler Saladino is playing 2B recently, after playing nothing but SS since he was drafted. He might be in line to replace Beckham at some point down the road. After a somewhat slow start he's started to hit a bit. Sitting at .253/.414/.363. His power numbers are down compared to seasons past, but still early. Has a fantastic BB:SO ratio of 22 to 20.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Myles Jaye finishes with:

5.0 IP 4 H 1 ER 0 BB 7 SO
Old 05-03-2012, 07:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Kevin Goldstein ‏ @Kevin_Goldstein
Big, athletic, raw arm worth keeping an eye on. RT @ProfessorFog: @Kevin_Goldstein Any thoughts on Myles Jaye? Nice 1st start.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 PM
The Grand Wazoo

They already tried Viciedo at first, it didn't last long.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Wasn't his K rate closer to 23% earlier in the season? Yeah, this is an encouraging sign. I hope that he can continue to produce.

I just wonder who he's going to replace in the OF when/if he comes up to the Show.
Why would you want to replace Viciedo and not De Aza? I see no real future in De Aza, he's nothing more than a AAAA player. Viciedo has the potential to be an above average major leager. If he wasn't batting in front of Morel and Beckhams automatic outs, he'd probably get a few more pitches to hit. An aggressive hitter like Viciedo is only going to succeed if there is someone that can hit behind him.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
Why would you want to replace Viciedo and not De Aza? I see no real future in De Aza, he's nothing more than a AAAA player. Viciedo has the potential to be an above average major leager. If he wasn't batting in front of Morel and Beckhams automatic outs, he'd probably get a few more pitches to hit. An aggressive hitter like Viciedo is only going to succeed if there is someone that can hit behind him.
To be fair, I don't think that we've seen enough out of De Aza yet to make that conclusion. I mean, for all we know, he could be one of the guys that has figured it out later in his career. It's also still early.

In conclusion: we'll just have to see how things develop. Assuming that De Aza can at least show that he can be a competent major leaguer, I was thinking that Rios might be the first to go if/when Mitchell makes it to the Show. I mean, I can't see many people here that would want Rios to resign anyway.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 AM
MMXXIII

I must be watching a different player, because I don't know what De Aza has done since coming up with the Sox last year that screams AAAA player? He's played in 79 games for us now over 2 years, has a .302/.379/.500 slash line, and his numbers extrapolate to 15 HR, 101 R, 31 stolen bases, 37 doubles, and 11 triples over the course of 162 games played. He's outperformed anyone's wildest expectations. On top of that, he's just a ****ing spark plug. He plays hard, seems to have a good baseball IQ (at the plate, anyway), and is just an exciting guy to watch. I definitely feel he brings an intangible energy to the team, like he's out to prove everyone who gave up on him wrong.

Now, granted, I know that he just turned 28 so you can't pencil him for the next 10+ years like you would a more traditional prospect, but his prime years will probably last until at least 2015.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:17 PM
WSI Personality

ADA reminds me a bit of Singleton in terms of age, reputation and performance. Now, he still needs to do it for a more extended period, but he's on that type of pace.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I must be watching a different player, because I don't know what De Aza has done since coming up with the Sox last year that screams AAAA player? He's played in 79 games for us now over 2 years, has a .302/.379/.500 slash line, and his numbers extrapolate to 15 HR, 101 R, 31 stolen bases, 37 doubles, and 11 triples over the course of 162 games played. He's outperformed anyone's wildest expectations. On top of that, he's just a ****ing spark plug. He plays hard, seems to have a good baseball IQ (at the plate, anyway), and is just an exciting guy to watch. I definitely feel he brings an intangible energy to the team, like he's out to prove everyone who gave up on him wrong.

Now, granted, I know that he just turned 28 so you can't pencil him for the next 10+ years like you would a more traditional prospect, but his prime years will probably last until at least 2015.
I second this thought. Although odds are against De Aza ever reaching All-Star status, he's looking pretty solid. We've had to watch some pretty awful play out in CF and in the lead-off slot over the last couple of years, De Aza has given us a nice surprise.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-05-2012, 09:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Juan Silverio has joined the Dash.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Petricka moves up to Birmingham