White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-22-2011, 01:37 PM
PKalltheway PKalltheway is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,617
Post Ryan Braun wins NL MVP

First Brewer to take home the award since Robin Yount in 1989. Braun received 20 out of 32 first-place votes.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
__________________


"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all."- Former Orioles Manager Earl Weaver
Go Sox and Go Bearcats!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-22-2011, 04:13 PM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kane County, IL
Posts: 6,240
Default

Congrats to him. A very special player, though this was a toss-up between he and Kemp.

Also, my girlfriend has a huge crush on him for some reason.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-22-2011, 04:27 PM
MtGrnwdSoxFan MtGrnwdSoxFan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mount Greenwood. No, really?
Posts: 4,147
Default

Congrats to the Hebrew Hammer. Would have liked to see Kemp win it, but Braun led his team to the playoffs and Kemp didn't.
__________________
2017 Attendance Record: 0-0

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: Hopefully around the beginning of May
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-22-2011, 04:38 PM
PalehosePlanet PalehosePlanet is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln Sq./North Cntr.
Posts: 4,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGrnwdSoxFan View Post
Congrats to the Hebrew Hammer. Would have liked to see Kemp win it, but Braun led his team to the playoffs and Kemp didn't.
He and Prince Fielder did; I thought they'd split the vote.

I don't have a problem with Braun winning, but Kemp coming oh-so-close to the first triple crown in 43 years would have gotten my vote.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-22-2011, 04:41 PM
shes shes is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGrnwdSoxFan View Post
Congrats to the Hebrew Hammer. Would have liked to see Kemp win it, but Braun led his team to the playoffs and Kemp didn't.
A single player does not lead his team to the playoffs in baseball, so I have a tough time swallowing that reasoning for why Kemp didn't win.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-22-2011, 04:56 PM
happydude happydude is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago-South Shore
Posts: 3,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
He and Prince Fielder did; I thought they'd split the vote.

I don't have a problem with Braun winning, but Kemp coming oh-so-close to the first triple crown in 43 years would have gotten my vote.
Didn't Kemp also win a Gold Glove playing in center, a far more important position than Braun's left? And not only were Kemp's numbers superior overall but he put them up without the kind of protection Braun got with Fielder right behind him. Still, being on a playoff team should count for something. Congrats to Braun...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-22-2011, 06:06 PM
thomas35forever's Avatar
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 26,791
Default

Congrats to Ryan.
__________________
Consistency lost
If found, please return to 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago. Generous reward offered.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 PM
tstrike2000's Avatar
tstrike2000 tstrike2000 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Forest Moon of Endor
Posts: 7,018
Default

Nice job by Braun, he's a quite a player.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-22-2011, 08:17 PM
#1swisher #1swisher is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 60610
Posts: 20,734
Default

Congrats Braun!
__________________
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-23-2011, 06:19 AM
palehozenychicty palehozenychicty is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,312
Default

Matt Kemp http://bit.ly/v78kBZ
vs.
Ryan Braun http://bit.ly/rYAVZm


Both are talented players. I've been fortunate to watch Kemp live a couple of times, and when he's on, he has Hall of Fame potential. I think his overall lack of career consistency did him in here. His numbers are clearly better than Braun, and Braun has a lot more help on the roster.

The definition of valuable in the case of MVP is supposed to be restricted to individual performance, without a heavy factor in team accomplishment, according to the rule book. They came the closest when A-Rod was named MVP in '03 for a terrible Rangers squad.

Reality is different in how writers assess value, as we know, with regional and personal biases entering the picture. Statistical measurements have expanded to give a more rounded, yet debatable picture of a player's raw contribution to a team.

Adding layers of context to the argument involve Kemp accomplishing his season with the McCourt saga weighing the franchise and Braun hitting with postseason expectations.

Did Kemp finally break through for good? Braun has been fairly consistent with ascending metrics. It can get interesting.

I still believe that Herm Edwards was right in that you play to win the game. But Matt Kemp deserved the MVP.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-23-2011, 07:48 AM
happydude happydude is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago-South Shore
Posts: 3,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
Matt Kemp http://bit.ly/v78kBZ
vs.
Ryan Braun http://bit.ly/rYAVZm


Both are talented players. I've been fortunate to watch Kemp live a couple of times, and when he's on, he has Hall of Fame potential. I think his overall lack of career consistency did him in here. His numbers are clearly better than Braun, and Braun has a lot more help on the roster.

The definition of valuable in the case of MVP is supposed to be restricted to individual performance, without a heavy factor in team accomplishment, according to the rule book. They came the closest when A-Rod was named MVP in '03 for a terrible Rangers squad.

Reality is different in how writers assess value, as we know, with regional and personal biases entering the picture. Statistical measurements have expanded to give a more rounded, yet debatable picture of a player's raw contribution to a team.

Adding layers of context to the argument involve Kemp accomplishing his season with the McCourt saga weighing the franchise and Braun hitting with postseason expectations.

Did Kemp finally break through for good? Braun has been fairly consistent with ascending metrics. It can get interesting.

I still believe that Herm Edwards was right in that you play to win the game. But Matt Kemp deserved the MVP.
Good overall commentary!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-23-2011, 09:11 AM
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 55,245
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Also, my girlfriend has a huge crush on him for some reason.
A girl has a crush on a rich, handsome, successful pro athlete?



It is indeed a mystery.
__________________
#9

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
1-2

LAST GAME: May 22 - Sox 3, Twins 2
NEXT GAME: June 8 - Sox vs. Astros
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-23-2011, 10:01 AM
VenturaFan23 VenturaFan23 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Joliet/Plainfield/Romeoville/Crest Hill area
Posts: 4,408
Default

George Costanza's mom was right...."That Braun is a real go-getter!"

Congrats to Ryan Braun.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.