White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Banned

Default Chicago area couple buy ‘Field of Dreams’ site

http://www.suntimes.com/8506610-417/...eams-site.html
Old 10-30-2011, 08:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Believe it or not, I think this guy is one of our own. I just PM'ed him to see if he'd post to give us some info.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Believe it or not, I think this guy is one of our own. I just PM'ed him to see if he'd post to give us some info.
You mean it's not you, Mr. Stillman?

Old 10-30-2011, 10:50 PM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Yes I am. I wanted your name but it was taken My current name? My son's nickname and number. It's going to be cool and I welcome WSI's advice. One thing I can guarantee, we will not forget Shoeless Joe and our White Sox!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood13 View Post
Yes I am. I wanted your name but it was taken My current name? My son's nickname and number. It's going to be cool and I welcome WSI's advice. One thing I can guarantee, we will not forget Shoeless Joe and our White Sox!
Congratulations! This is great news for that site. I remember reading that the property had been held by two different owners and there had been some past contention about maintaining the ballfield. Glad you're on the case.

Oh, and
Old 10-30-2011, 11:34 PM
WSI Guru

Congrats to you and your family and best wishes in the project. I think when the complex is ready to open if you'll contact the Sox they may be able to have a few former players attend.

If you'd rather, contact me and I'll bring it to the attention of the folks I know in the front office. I think this is something that they'd be happy to participate in.

Lip
Old 10-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
I have been there twice and really enjoyed visiting it. The first time was before there was "peace" between the two owners, so there were two souvenir shops and restrictions on what part of the field you could use their equipment on. The second time, the dispute had been resolved. I really love how peaceful the whole scene is. Also, is there a way to let people who visit Galena, Illinois know they're not too far from the farm? That should draw more visitors. U.S. 20 goes from Galena to Dyersville....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0652.jpg (99.7 KB, 62 views)
Old 10-30-2011, 11:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Wow, how cool! Congratulations!

Proud Member since 2007
Old 10-31-2011, 12:56 AM
Winner 2014 & 2016 WSI PTC Contest

Wow...Congratulations on your purchase, Hollywood13! I thought your plans for the area on the ballpark complex were very interesting. My son and I made our trip to the Field of Dreams on the way home from a USSSA tournament in Kansas City a few years back. It was such a neat experience for him to get to actually play on the field. The addition of such a complex should bring a ton of visitors to the Field. Best of luck, and hope you keep us posted!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:14 AM
WSI Personality

i was there last year and it was one of the best experiences of my life. i definitely plan on going back. i was running around like a child and my girlfriend was a saint putting up with me and my requests for pictures in every inch of the place. i agree that there should be some advertising in Galena. That's where we went on our mini vacation and hit up the field because it was close.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Default Investors Cash In on Field of Dreams...

Okay that's a cynical title, but the property where the movie was shot has been sold and they gonna build a baseball/softball complex on the site.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,4028260.story

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-31-2011, 04:09 PM
WSI Personality

Very cool, but I honestly hope it doesn't lose the appeal and serene-ness of the setting. That's part of the appeal - it's just a ballfield out in the middle of nowhere in a corn field.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwag View Post
Very cool, but I honestly hope it doesn't lose the appeal and serene-ness of the setting. That's part of the appeal - it's just a ballfield out in the middle of nowhere in a corn field.
You're not the only one with that question: Link. However, it sounds like this place is very near and dear to the Stillman's heart and they will do their best to preserve it.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Congrats on your purchase. I'm very happy to see that the land is in the hands of a Sox fan who will ensure that the field remains a place where those who love baseball can continue to visit.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:02 PM
New At WSI

Here is a question for all of my fellow WSI members: What would you like added to Field Of Dreams?
Closed Thread