Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 10:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Season Ticket Holders--How Do You Do It?

Every Sox home game I see this one same dude sitting in about the 4th row behind the visitor's dugout--he's in a lot of the shots of left-handed batters. He's probably in his early 50s, greyish hair. What I've noticed about this fellow is his rather stoic, resigned expression throughout nearly every game, including last night's.

Last night it hit me--how does this guy manage to keep himself showing up for this craptacular night in and night out? Especially when the Sox are playing the Twins? So, for you season ticket holders--particularly those of you with full-season plans, how the heck do you cope? Besides the expense involved (tickets, parking, food, the mandatory churros), how the heck do you do it??

As a guy who attends anywhere between 5-10 games a year it's a tough reality to envision under these conditions. Of course, I guess I can sympathize to some degree--hey, I watch this donkey-doo every night in my own house and wonder why I'm passing up a perectly good "House Hunters" or "Finding Bigfoot" in favor of watching Dunn and Rios producing an automatic 8 outs a night. I imagine a lot of you are burning up StubHub. So, please: your keys to sanity?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

My sister's a season-ticket holder, and her family can't give the seats away some nights. Her comment: "Never again."
Old 07-08-2011, 12:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

For me its simple: I'm a die-hard Sox fan and good seasons or bad, I love going to games.

A group of us (usually 4-5 guys in total) have split a full-season since 2006. A few of us always talked about getting season tickets and we got in when the Sox ran the World Series ticket promotion in 2005. While this may have a been a year or two earlier then I had anticipated getting season tickets, it was too good an offer to pass up.

Having season tickets, I've been able to see some amazing games the past few years (the Blackout game, Buehrle's no-hitter, Thome's 500th, AJ's walk-off vs. the Dodgers, etc.) although I realize those games have often came through blind luck based on which games I "drafted" this season.

But you're right, it has also been maddening at times. The 2007 campaign, parts of 2010 and a good part of this year. But I still find myself making the trip out there - to meet up friends, see the regulars in my "home" of Section 158 the past 6 seasons, etc.

2016: 11-9
2015: 13-7
2014: 15-11
2013: 11-22
2012: 29-22
2011: 15-19
2010: 18-10
2009: 5-9
2008: 21-10
2007: 6-14
2006: 20-9
Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM
WSI Personality

This is my first year since 2005 that I haven't had a seasont ticket plan. The amount of deals out there for really good tickets for most games makes paying face value for tickets foolish in my opinion. For the money I'm saving on the secondary market with tickets, I figure I will be able to overspend for playoff tickets down the road.

If the Sox were to become like the 2000-2010 Cubs, or the current Red Sox and sell out every game, I would consider buying a ticket plan again.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
My sister's a season-ticket holder, and her family can't give the seats away some nights. Her comment: "Never again."
I would gladly take free tickets!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I won't say never, but I'm done after this season. It is simply not cost effective at all to buy any tickets for any game way ahead of time unless it's a *guaranteed* sellout game or you have a huge group going.

Oh, and the team sucks.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-08-2011, 01:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I wonder how many other people are saying this........
A swing, and a high fly ball, deep right center field. This is way back in the gap. And it's a goner! A White Sox winner! A winner on a Podsednik home run, and the White Sox go up two games to nothing in the 2005 World Series.

John Rooney October 23 rd 2005....happy 25th B-Day Nelfox02!!!
Old 07-08-2011, 01:08 PM
WSI Personality

Fantasy Baseball rooting interests keep things interesting.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelfox02 View Post
I wonder how many other people are saying this........
I am one. I have had tickets since 2003 and I will not be renewing, I can not envision a situation where I will purchase them again.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

These are very interesting comments. Ive often wondered the same thing as the original post.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:08 PM
WSI Regular

Hey, I like cheap tickets. Those who can't give them away aren't trying hard enough.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:19 PM
WSI Personality

From a financial aspect, if people are willing to buy my tickets I sell them. There are very few games I save for myself. I can always get other tickets if I need them. If I dont sell them then I go to the game. I sell alot on stubhub, without it, I dont know if I would be able to keep them.

I always get something for them though, even if I am getting single digits for my premium lower deck box seats....
Old 07-08-2011, 02:36 PM
WSI High Priest

I've been in a season ticket group since 1986 and attend between 15-25 games a year. No matter how bad or disappointing the team is, I still love going with family and/or friends. Even when played, managed or coached poorly, baseball is still a great game.

I'm as frustrated as most are on this board; but it's baseball, not chemotherapy! Maybe that should be the Sox new marketing slogan: "White Sox baseball 2011, it still beats chemotherapy." Someone e-mail Brooks.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:38 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I've been in a season ticket group since 1986 and attend between 15-20 games a year. No matter how bad or disappointing the team is, I still love going with family and/or friends. Even when played, managed or coached poorly, baseball is still a great game.

I'm as frustrated as most are on this board; but it's baseball, not chemotherapy! Maybe that should be the Sox new marketing slogan: "White Sox baseball 2011, it still beats chemotherapy." Someone e-mail Brooks.
As someone who not only has first-hand knowledge of chemo and baseball (once at the same time even!), I agree. I'll always choose baseball.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:47 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I've been in a season ticket group since 1986 and attend between 15-25 games a year. No matter how bad or disappointing the team is, I still love going with family and/or friends. Even when played, managed or coached poorly, baseball is still a great game.

That's good perspective.

From a financial standpoint, I agree in this computer day of age, maybe it doesn't make the most sense to buy a season ticket plan since you can cruise StubHub or Craigslist and find way under market value deals. But, evreyone I know who has season tickets always says it's nice to just have them and make yourself go. There have been at least 2-3 games this year I've already backed out of going to a game at the last moment because I got too lazy to look for, pay for, etc. tickets. Buy them in advance and you just have to make it work. And really, once I get to the park, all the problems melt away. I was at the game Monday, and it was a lot of fun, even if the Sox were playing like ass for most of the game.

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
1-2

LAST GAME: May 22 - Sox 3, Twins 2
NEXT GAME: June 8 - Sox vs. Astros