White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2011, 07:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Actually being able to play a position helps.
Just because he plays the position poorly, isn't a good enough reason to leave him down.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 07-07-2011, 07:33 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Just because he plays the position poorly, isn't a good enough reason to leave him down.

You can't be serious.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
You can't be serious.
No, you can't be serious.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Daver, I understand that a bandbox ballpark would inflate home run numbers, but wouldn't it also deflate batting averages and doubles, since there are smaller gaps into which fly balls and liners can fall?

Viciedo is hitting both for good power and high average. And he's improved his walk rate. So all signs point to him being able to hit well at the MLB level, albeit likely after a period of adjustment.

I'm not going to argue on his fielding, because it seems the consensus is that he's below average.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:48 PM
WSI High Priest

I seriously wonder if Kenny is looking to trade him in a go for broke must win this year move. Someone who knows the organization better than I alluded that Dayan might be on the block.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:34 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Daver, I understand that a bandbox ballpark would inflate home run numbers, but wouldn't it also deflate batting averages and doubles, since there are smaller gaps into which fly balls and liners can fall?

Viciedo is hitting both for good power and high average. And he's improved his walk rate. So all signs point to him being able to hit well at the MLB level, albeit likely after a period of adjustment.

I'm not going to argue on his fielding, because it seems the consensus is that he's below average.

What are lineouts in most parks bounce off the walls in Charlotte.

The best hitter in any lineup is usually walked quite a bit, even if not intentionally, it is not a real indicator of plate discipline. There are all kinds of players that could hit well at every level of the minors, see a host of former recent White Sox first round draft picks.

His trade value is maximized with him playing in Charlotte as opposed to learning how to play in Birmingham, and he really has no place on a roster that has three players with a track record of hitting at the MLB level already to play DH.

Even if the Sox were to go the rebuilding route, he is not a player that you can build around, you build around players that can make the players around them better.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
You can't be serious.
Yeah, the Sox should have kept the Big Hurt in Birmingham until he became a Gold Glove 1st baseman!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:34 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, the Sox should have kept the Big Hurt in Birmingham until he became a Gold Glove 1st baseman!
Yeah, because putting up offensive numbers in a cow pasture is no different than a bandbox, against better pitching, and first base is almost identical to playing left field.

We'll overlook the fact that Dayan failed at playing first base.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:39 PM
WSI High Priest

If only there was some position in the American League that allows you to only hit. I think the manager designates someone for that position. I got nothing.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
I seriously wonder if Kenny is looking to trade him in a go for broke must win this year move. Someone who knows the organization better than I alluded that Dayan might be on the block.
Or to package him in order to dump a salary, Rios or Dunn.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Yeah, because putting up offensive numbers in a cow pasture is no different than a bandbox, against better pitching, and first base is almost identical to playing left field.

I don't think Dayan failed at 1B. He failed at 3B. But moving away from 1B was because Konerko and Dunn are higher on the depth chart and are locked in for the next 3+ years. I wouldn't be surprised at all after there gone and if Dayan is still on the Sox that he get moved back to 1B.
2010 ST Attendance Record: 1-0-1
2010 Attendance Record: 10-3
2011 Attendance Record: 4-6
2012 Attendance Record: 2-1
Old 07-08-2011, 07:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
What are lineouts in most parks bounce off the walls in Charlotte.

The best hitter in any lineup is usually walked quite a bit, even if not intentionally, it is not a real indicator of plate discipline. There are all kinds of players that could hit well at every level of the minors, see a host of former recent White Sox first round draft picks.
Dayan is hitting .343 with 7 of his 16 HR on the road. His SLG % is 22 points higher on the road, his avg is 37 points higher and his OPS is 70 points higher on the road. So how is Charlotte helping him again?

I agree that he is not a good defender, and will never be one. But we are talking about this year when the sox are "All In". They need another bat in the lineup that can produce. Pierre has been bad for most of the year until recently, Dunn has been worse than awful and Quentin and Pierre are not great defenders in the OF anyways. I don't think you'd lose that much playing Dayan over one of those guys.

Is your argument that the Sox should keep his trade value up for a trade to help the team this year or trade for other prospects they can build around in the future? I just don't have any confidence in the current regime to make a trade in either scenario that helps us long term based off KW recent track record.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 07-08-2011, 08:05 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:

Man, it's going to be awfully embarrassing when someone takes that 15 seconds out of their day to check Dayan's home/road splits to see if he's actually mashing in Charlotte and struggling elsewhere, as you seem to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
Dayan is hitting .343 with 7 of his 16 HR on the road. His SLG % is 22 points higher on the road, his avg is 37 points higher and his OPS is 70 points higher on the road. So how is Charlotte helping him again?
You keep beating that drum, Daver. I think we all know the make or break characteristic of championship teams is the defensive quality of their corner outfielders.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:46 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

Quote:

Man, it's going to be awfully embarrassing when someone takes that 15 seconds out of their day to check Dayan's home/road splits to see if he's actually mashing in Charlotte and struggling elsewhere, as you seem to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
You keep beating that drum, Daver. I think we all know the make or break characteristic of championship teams is the defensive quality of their corner outfielders.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSpalehoseCWS View Post
I don't think Dayan failed at 1B. He failed at 3B. But moving away from 1B was because Konerko and Dunn are higher on the depth chart and are locked in for the next 3+ years. I wouldn't be surprised at all after there gone and if Dayan is still on the Sox that he get moved back to 1B.
I also thought his best shot was at 1st. He was beyond bad at 3rd, and a real adventure so far in the OF. At 1st he looked like he might eventually be passable. Like you said with Konerko and Dunn there was no room.