White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2011, 05:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcMahon817 View Post
The Tigers and Indians are no better than the SOX.
The Indians are not better than the Sox and, even if the Sox don't make any moves, the Indians will likely fall behind them. Detroit has played pretty well but they are not great, either. And the Sox have some moves they can make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcMahon817 View Post
Viciedo will be playing almost everyday within the next couple weeks.
This is one of the moves. The Sox want to maximize Viciedo's service time in Chicago and that makes sense. I expect to see him here with the next couple of weeks, though, and his bat could give the Sox a shot in the arm.

Another move? Trading Edwin Jackson after John Danks comes off the DL. I don't see the Sox really keeping six starters the rest of the way and Jackson appears to be the likely candidate to be moved.

The market for starting pitching at the July deadline is really thin and should be a seller's market. The Sox, therefore, should be able to move Jackson and get a good return for him.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Viciedo sucks! He didn't do squat tonight for Charlotte so how then is gonna help the Sox?

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 06-29-2011, 12:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Viciedo sucks! He didn't do squat tonight for Charlotte so how then is gonna help the Sox?
He's just a very raw and incomplete player with a lot of flaws. I think he can hit at the big league level, but some people with a better baseball pedigree than me doubt that too. The Sox are having a horrid year and there is not much down on the farm. We the suffering fans need to have hope and this year hope's name is Dayan Viciedo.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
He's just a very raw and incomplete player with a lot of flaws. I think he can hit at the big league level, but some people with a better baseball pedigree than me doubt that too.
Who?

The guy hit .308 over 30+ games last year and is completely tearing up AAA this year- what else can a prospect do?
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 06-29-2011, 01:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Who?

The guy hit .308 over 30+ games last year and is completely tearing up AAA this year- what else can a prospect do?
Drop Boros as his agent?
Old 06-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Banned

No matter how good Viciedo may or may not be, he simply can't fix this team by himself. It seems as though there are simply too many problems in the roster, in the coaching staff, and now, with the effort for this team to compete this year.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Who?

He's not completely tearing up AAA, first of all. He's doing very well.

His OBP is .369 and he has hit 13 home runs. I've never seen so much hype for numbers like this. What would that translate to at the big leagye level ? Maybe a .330 OBP and about 8 home runs?

It's not like he's hit 25 home runs down there and he's batting .400.

Plus, I doubt very much that he's any better defensively than Pierre, Rios or Quentin. He's probably worse.

He's also probably worse than the 3 of them on the bases and he is very inexperienced.

Basically, he isn't going to make any difference unless he DH's in place of Dunn. And, the Sox don't want to do that because they NEED Dunn to come around or they are screwed. That's why he's not up here.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLaloosh View Post
He's not completely tearing up AAA, first of all. He's doing very well.

His OBP is .369 and he has hit 13 home runs. I've never seen so much hype for numbers like this. What would that translate to at the big leagye level ? Maybe a .330 OBP and about 8 home runs?

It's not like he's hit 25 home runs down there and he's batting .400.

Plus, I doubt very much that he's any better defensively than Pierre, Rios or Quentin. He's probably worse.

He's also probably worse than the 3 of them on the bases and he is very inexperienced.

Basically, he isn't going to make any difference unless he DH's in place of Dunn. And, the Sox don't want to do that because they NEED Dunn to come around or they are screwed. That's why he's not up here.
It's going to be tough for him to do much worse than Pierre.

Chances are pretty good that he'd at the very least be an upgrade over Juan.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 07-02-2011, 06:25 PM
WSI Prelate

In game 1 of a double header, Dayan was 2-2 with 2 HR and a walk
Old 07-03-2011, 06:15 PM
WSI Prelate

The Tank is 0-1 right now with a walk.

He does however have an outfield assist, throwing a runner out at third.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
It's going to be tough for him to do much worse than Pierre.

Chances are pretty good that he'd at the very least be an upgrade over Juan.
If Viciedo came up tomorrow and played every day, my prediction would be that after 3-4 weeks Sox fans would all be saying, "gee I thought he would be better than this".

Eventually, he will likely be a good ML hitter - not great and not right now. I doubt that he ever makes an all-star team.

He's not gonna rake right now in the bigs and the Sox would be worse on defense and on the bases if he replaced Pierre. There would essentially be no substantive gain.

As I said, replacing Dunn with him helps the team right now but the Sox can't do that for obvious reasons. Thus, Viciedo is still in Charlotte.

What is sad is that the Sox have noone to bring up from the minors that would be any better than who they have now. The Sox system is so bad. There are reasons that it is regularly ranked near the very bottom of baseball. I would say that there is not one player in the whole Sox minor league system that will ever play in a major league all-star game. That's sad.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLaloosh View Post
If Viciedo came up tomorrow and played every day, my prediction would be that after 3-4 weeks Sox fans would all be saying, "gee I thought he would be better than this".

Eventually, he will likely be a good ML hitter - not great and not right now. I doubt that he ever makes an all-star team.

He's not gonna rake right now in the bigs and the Sox would be worse on defense and on the bases if he replaced Pierre. There would essentially be no substantive gain.

As I said, replacing Dunn with him helps the team right now but the Sox can't do that for obvious reasons. Thus, Viciedo is still in Charlotte.

What is sad is that the Sox have noone to bring up from the minors that would be any better than who they have now. The Sox system is so bad. There are reasons that it is regularly ranked near the very bottom of baseball. I would say that there is not one player in the whole Sox minor league system that will ever play in a major league all-star game. That's sad.
I agree with the defense part, but it's hard to be much worse on the bases.

As long as Dayan isn't running into outs, he should be fine.

I'm doubtful Ozzie will give him the green light as much as he does Pierre.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:32 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
As long as Dayan isn't running into outs, he should be fine.

I'm doubtful Ozzie will give him the green light as much as he does Pierre.

Seriously?

They would be adding another station to station baserunner to a team that already has Konerko, Dunn, Quentin, and to a lesser extent AJ.

I sometimes wonder if you have any grasp at all of how this game works.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Seriously?

They would be adding another station to station baserunner to a team that already has Konerko, Dunn, Quentin, and to a lesser extent AJ.

I sometimes wonder if you have any grasp at all of how this game works.
Considering you're backing Juan Pierre, I wonder the same thing about you.

And you do realize we won a world series with Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, AJ Pierzynski, Joe Crede, and Carl Everett (sometimes Frank Thomas) in the same lineup, right?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:54 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Considering you're backing Juan Pierre, I wonder the same thing about you.

And you do realize we won a world series with Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, AJ Pierzynski, Joe Crede, and Carl Everett (sometimes Frank Thomas) in the same lineup, right?
I'm no longer wondering, I have been convinced.