Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2011, 06:48 PM
WSI Guru

Default An Overview From A Baseball Source

I respect this person a great deal. They know the game and have been involved with it on a daily basis since the early 90's. I'm talking at the major league level. They know people directly with the Sox organization, people directly in other organizations, spend a lot of time with scouts.

We've been e-mailing each other on what has happened this weekend and what has gone wrong with this organization since February 2006.

I won't say anything more about the source. I don't want to potentially get them in trouble. Rest assured though, they have seen a lot, heard a lot and know a lot.

These are their thoughts on the Sox situation from top to bottom. Take them for what they may be worth to you.

-----------------------------------------------

The common thread is that this organization is too content, from top to bottom.

Duane Shaffer (former Sox farm director) had his faults, but JR suddenly interfered at draft time as he did with getting AJ signed last winter.

There were yellow flags with Dave Wilder before he was HIRED.

I like what Buddy Bell is doing with the minor league system, but there are a lot of guys drafted from the Indiana-Ohio-Kentucky areas - close to where Doug Laumann lives.

Now onto the big club. Six-man rotation in 2006 would have won it for them, and they would have Brandon McCarthy under control (although John Danks was a steal).

Brian Anderson had the attention span of a chimp.

Josh Fields was a tender psyche kid.

I would have broke up the nucleus (Konerko, Dye, AJ) after 2007, although they won a division in 08 and should have gone farther had Vazquez not been so passive.

Too much of the old guard has been around too long. As a result, that's why you heard the "it's still early" quote.

Writers, baseball people and scouts always ask me what it's like around the Sox because of the outspokenness of Ozzie and KW that would get most execs in trouble.

Funny how Ozzie's plan in 2010 didn't work because of Kotsay, and KW's plan is blowing up because of Dunn.

I would have done the same thing as KW did with the bullpen in 2007 with power arms. He just had the wrong ones.

They thought they could get a lot out of Erstad in 2007 and Colon and Dye in 2009 without realizing it's a young man's game with testing for amphetamines.

Teahen signing was bad also because Morel was going to be the man as soon as this year.

Looks like you can't turn football players into baseball players (Borchard, Jerry Owens and now Mitchell).

I was pushing for Rene Lachemann to be a coach if Cora left because he would have been 'an outsider' with plenty of optional views.

They've made a farce of the draft by picking 'sons of.' They got what they asked for with Oney Guillen, Kyle Williams, etc.

I really think KW relies more on their "numbers guys" / sabermetrics than their scouts, who rarely hear from him."

-------------------------------------------------------

The biggest surprise to me in this individuals comments were the allegation that JR "interferes" in the draft process (because of money???) and that he apparently got involved in the AJ situation last winter.

Everything I had always seen said that JR was a "hands-off" owner who lets the people he hired do their jobs. Maybe that's not the case?

Anyway I found some of the comments fascinating and disquieting. If true they tell a lot about why certain things haven't happened and probably won't happen if the status-quo remains.

I'll continue to try to get opinions from other friends and sources to see if a pattern emerges.

For now like I said take these for what they may be worth to you.

Lip

Old 05-29-2011, 07:01 PM
WSI Guru

Not quite sure what's being insinuated with the Erstad, Colon and Dye comments, but it seems irresponsible at best.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:04 PM
WSI Guru

Brian:

I wondered myself. I'll try to follow up on that for you. Like I said this person has seen a lot, heard a lot and knows a lot. I think a lot more than they told me.

Lip
Old 05-29-2011, 07:07 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Not quite sure what's being insinuated with the Erstad, Colon and Dye comments, but it seems irresponsible at best.
Yeah plus anyone who emails in purple... I'm guessing that was pulled from his hotmail account.

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
1-2

LAST GAME: May 22 - Sox 3, Twins 2
NEXT GAME: June 8 - Sox vs. Astros
Old 05-29-2011, 07:07 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

It doesn't surprise me about Reinsdorf. We have seen him involved with many different signings so drafting doesn't surprise. He tries to make the public believe he is not hands on but his nature is to always be where the money comes in and where it goes out. That is why he has been a successful businessman.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Made sense to me. They were older players who tire easily and no longer could take something stronger than a cup of coffee to recover from one game to the next like the "old days" of a couple of years earlier.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:10 PM
WSI Guru

Double:

Actually I changed that color when posting the message. Call me paranoid but I wanted to do what I could to protect the source.

On a related note did you get that e-mail I sent you a few days ago on the Buehrle contract discussion?

Lip
Old 05-29-2011, 07:12 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Double:

Actually I changed that color when posting the message. Call me paranoid but I wanted to do what I could to protect the source. He e-mails me in a different color by the way.

On a related note did you get that e-mail I sent you a few days ago on the Buehrle contract discussion?

Lip
Yeah, I'm not really in the business of believing the "I have a source, but I can't name them" crap.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:13 PM
WSI Prelate

I find it interesting that your source describes the organization as "too content."

This is how I've viewed the Ozzie and Walker situation. It seems fairly obvious that there's something wrong with this team's coaching staff given that different players with good track records seem to struggle offensively as soon as they reach this team. And yet, nothing is done about it. The ownership just seems content to the point where they seem almost ignorant to believe that things will fix themselves.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:15 PM
WSI Guru

Double:

I understand where you're coming from but that's kind of how things are. I don't have the right to tell you who it is. Someday maybe they'll allow me to do so. That's why I always say, 'take it for whatever it may be worth' to you.

Lip
Old 05-29-2011, 07:17 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Made sense to me. They were older players who tire easily and no longer could take something stronger than a cup of coffee to recover from one game to the next like the "old days" of a couple of years earlier.
Like I said, that accusation seems irresponsible.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Lip,

Thanks. I appreciate all the info and inside sources you bring to this board.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
I find it interesting that your source describes the organization as "too content."

This is how I've viewed the Ozzie and Walker situation. It seems fairly obvious that there's something wrong with this team's coaching staff given that different players with good track records seem to struggle offensively as soon as they reach this team. And yet, nothing is done about it. The ownership just seems content to the point where they seem almost ignorant to believe that things will fix themselves.
A lot of those veterans struggled because they had 195,000 miles on their engines, or in guys like Teahen's case, sucked before they arrived.

'We drafted him... He achieved greatness here... A 2-time MVP, and one of the BEST hitters in MLB history... And soon he will wear a White Sox uniform again... On his Hall of Fame plaque. He's #35, Frank Thomas!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxinem1 View Post
A lot of those veterans struggled because they had 195,000 miles on their engines, or in guys like Teahen's case, sucked before they arrived.
Yeah, but in cases like Dunn, it really makes you wonder.

I seem to recall Orlando Cabrera starting off really slowly in 2008.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Like I said, that accusation seems irresponsible.
There was no accusation in the message from Lip's source. It was just a reflection of the new reality of MLB testing that the Sox did not take into account when signing on those players past their usefulness.