Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2011, 10:50 PM
WSI Guru

Default *Official* 4/15 "At least the bullpen didn't blow it..." Postgame Thread

I think we can officially say that the "good start" the organization so badly needed and talked about this off season is out the window.

At least the bullpen didn't blow it. But once again an error led to unearned runs. The Sox have got to lead the league in them. 1-7 with runners in scoring position didn't help matters either.

Things are not good right now.

Lip
Old 04-15-2011, 10:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Regardless of what happens in the final two games, this has been a pretty ****ty homestand to open the season against three teams who aren't that good.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

no, not good, but pretty par for the course with this team.

we had a key error, inability to pitch over that error, poor bunting, bunts being called in very questionable situations, inability to get a key late hit (that area was one of the few things we've done well this year but not tonight)........all adds up to another ho hum loss.

Humber was okay......and they did battle back to the point where the game was worth watching at least.....but nothing really to get excited about here.

the bunt call after pierre led off the 8th with the hit......why?
A swing, and a high fly ball, deep right center field. This is way back in the gap. And it's a goner! A White Sox winner! A winner on a Podsednik home run, and the White Sox go up two games to nothing in the 2005 World Series.

John Rooney October 23 rd 2005....happy 25th B-Day Nelfox02!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelfox02 View Post
no, not good, but pretty par for the course with this team.

we had a key error, inability to pitch over that error, poor bunting, bunts being called in very questionable situations, inability to get a key late hit (that area was one of the few things we've done well this year but not tonight)........all adds up to another ho hum loss.

Humber was okay......and they did battle back to the point where the game was worth watching at least.....but nothing really to get excited about here.

the bunt call after pierre led off the 8th with the hit......why?
Almost as bad as a green light on 3-0 against a pitcher who was all over the place.

Ozzie has been as bad as the team.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 PM
WSI Guru

I wondered about that bunt call myself. Why not let him go? He's got a good steal success rate. He gets to second THEN you bunt him over (like the Sox use to do in the 50's & 60's...) When he's on 3rd you've got more ways to get him home.

But then I'm not the manager.

Lip
Old 04-15-2011, 11:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I wondered about that bunt call myself. Why not let him go? He's got a good steal success rate. He gets to second THEN you bunt him over (like the Sox use to do in the 50's & 60's...) When he's on 3rd you've got more ways to get him home.

Lip
Correct.

Bunting over Juan Pierre to second negates pretty much the only tool Juan brings to the table. It's equally moronic because Gordon is one of the team's better hitters. Too bad Ozzie has to push his buttons and things like this will never change.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Winner 2014 & 2016 WSI PTC Contest

Yet another loss on the record, but at least I'm not completely pissed off about this one. Weaver has been outstanding, and if he was on, it was going to be a tough game to win.

There was some good news in this game. Pierre made a nice catch taking away a home run. Dunn got his first HR at US Cellular; Humber did all right and Gray stepped in and held his own for a couple of innings. Santos looked pretty good - lots of movement on his pitches, but looked a bit wild to me sometimes. Even Ohman did his job facing one batter.

Bad stuff - another error by Morel; TCQ leaving runners on 2nd and 3rd in the 8th swinging at a 3-0 pitch (ugh), and - geez - bunting at that point in the game - let Pierre steal. *that* really needs to go away.

Last edited by ChiSoxGal85; 04-15-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: didn't mean to imply that bunting late in game needs to go away - meant bad idea to bunt there w/ Pierre on
Old 04-15-2011, 11:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Lip
It makes me absolutely sick when I see Ozzie bunt Juan Pierre to second base. It pisses me off even more when he forces a good hitter like Beckham to do it, too. I've said it a dozen times going back to last year, but it needs to be said again, I guess. Why the hell do you give up an out to move over a proven base stealer?

Ozzie has zero common sense.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Nothing changes for this organization. Just like its manager, all it is is a bunch of talk and nothing when it comes to the field.

Last year, pitching and defense were solid- hitting blew. This year hitting is amazing, starters are good, but bullpen and defense blows. Hahahahahahaha, and they beg us to spend the money we don't have to watch the same story.

05' is gone folks. But the same bull**** is still on the field.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:06 PM
WSI Personality

More errors, more poor execution, good bullpen performance? Hey thats improvement. The bullpen pitched well. Gray, Ohman and Santos kept them at 4. So thats the positive.

Now for the much easier negative. Tonights winner was in the 8th when Pierre gets on with nobody out. You know, the AL steals leader from 2010? Well, instead of hit and run, or just a straight steal, the decision is to go with the bunt. Ok, except our inept, fundamentally poor baseball team finds a way to bunt into a force at second base with the 2010 stolen base leader running. Didn't think that was possible? Ha. Sit back relax and watch it happen.

Ozzie is nothing if not stubborn. It's like watching a guy with one leg trying to win an ass kicking contest.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:09 PM
WSI Personality

Fernando Rodney not only sucks in general but he's been especially struggling with his control to start the season - so much so that he has already been displaced as the closer. We get Pierre on to the lead off the inning and the first ****ing thing Ozzie wants to do is give him an out! And take the bat out of Beckham's hands! Just to move him over for "singles hitter" Adam Dunn! EVERY variable in play screams DON'T BUNT!

But of course, Ozzie has to try and show how smart he is. I'm sure eventually it will work and Ozzie and Joey can pat each other on the back. Never mind all the outs and at bats wasted along the way.

This clown has been given a mint lineup and all he wants to do is bunt every chance he gets.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringHomeDaBacon View Post
Fernando Rodney not only sucks in general but he's been especially struggling with his control to start the season - so much so that he has already been displaced as the closer. We get Pierre on to the lead off the inning and the first ****ing thing Ozzie wants to do is give him an out! And take the bat out of Beckham's hands! Just to move him over for "singles hitter" Adam Dunn! EVERY variable in play screams DON'T BUNT!

But of course, Ozzie has to try and show how smart he is. I'm sure eventually it will work and Ozzie and Joey can pat each other on the back. Never mind all the outs and at bats wasted along the way.

This clown has been given a mint lineup and all he wants to do is bunt every chance he gets.
That is the biggest problem with the whole situation. How in the **** does Ozzie not know his team? Pierre can steal, Beckham makes contact and Adam Dunn either strikes out or hits a homerun. The last thing Beckham should have been doing was bunting over the steals leader to bring up the definition of a homer or nothing player.

Just terrible managing.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 PM
WSI Personality

Ozzie urinates on himself, yet again. Would we please replace this dunce with a real manager, Kenny? PLEASE!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canOcorn View Post
Ozzie urinates on himself, yet again. Would we please replace this dunce with a real manager, Kenny? PLEASE!
What an unexpected post.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:52 PM
MMXXIII

Konerko, Quentin, and Rios combined 0-12 today.

Ugh. Just gotta power through it.

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
1-2

LAST GAME: May 22 - Sox 3, Twins 2
NEXT GAME: June 8 - Sox vs. Astros