White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2014, 08:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Default Why can't the White Sox have a Midwest League affiliate?

Looking at the affiliates in the Midwest League, I think we're the only team in the Midwest that does not have an affiliate there. The Cubs, Cardinals, Twins, Brewers, Tigers, Indians, and Reds all have affiliates in the Midwest League. We have three affiliates in North Carolina (AAA Charlotte, A Advanced Winston-Salem, and A Kannapolis). We also have our AA affiliate in Birmingham, Alabama, and a Rookie affiliate in Great Falls, Montana. I can see the Birmingham and Great Falls affiliations, but why do we have to have three teams in North Carolina? I think we should eventually give up our affiliation with Kannapolis (its ties to the late Dale Earnhardt notwithstanding) and establish one with a Midwest League team when a future vacancy there occurs. I would probably move A Advanced closer to home too.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:44 AM
MMXXIII

I think the Sox like having their affiliates in the same geographic region because it cuts down on travel time for scouts and coaches.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Short term profits over long term growth, that's why.

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-25-2014, 12:05 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Short term profits over long term growth, that's why.
I mean... does anyone really think the Sox would get some kind of monumental bump if they had an A-ball team somewhere in the region? Are any of you REALLY going to drive to South Bend or wherver Kane County plays to watch a bunch of kids who are basically straight out of high school? I used to live in Peoria, who had a Midwest League team; A-ball baseball is horrible. ****, AAA baseball is horrible. If last year's White Sox team was in AAA, they would have won 140 games. That's how bad minor league baseball really is. You really think there'd have been a ton of hoopla to go see guys like Jacob Morris, Danny Hayes, and James Dykstra? Because that's who would have been in a Midwest League team.

I'd argue you have it the other way around, plopping a team in the Midwest League for 1-2 years of excitement as opposed to the Sox's current structure which allows organizational coaches and scouts to easily keep tabs on guys in person is the short term approach.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I mean... does anyone really think the Sox would get some kind of monumental bump if they had an A-ball team somewhere in the region? Are any of you REALLY going to drive to South Bend or wherver Kane County plays to watch a bunch of kids who are basically straight out of high school? I used to live in Peoria, who had a Midwest League team; A-ball baseball is horrible. ****, AAA baseball is horrible. If last year's White Sox team was in AAA, they would have won 140 games. That's how bad minor league baseball really is. You really think there'd have been a ton of hoopla to go see guys like Jacob Morris, Danny Hayes, and James Dykstra? Because that's who would have been in a Midwest League team.

I'd argue you have it the other way around, plopping a team in the Midwest League for 1-2 years of excitement as opposed to the Sox's current structure which allows organizational coaches and scouts to easily keep tabs on guys in person is the short term approach.
I made a trip in July to Indy to see Charlotte play and am now kicking myself for doing so as I am seeing the same thing in Chicago.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

I enjoy minor league baseball, but the only time anyone would care about a minor league affiliate being nearby is when a star is on a rehab assignment. When Barry Zito came to town while rehabbing in A ball a couple of years ago, he drew a sellout crowd when he came to pitch in Modesto, and he wasn't even a very good pitcher at the time.

There is no long-term growth in having minor league affiliates nearby. If you have most of them nearby, it can mean short-term profits by reducing travel costs. Having teams in diverse places makes it more difficult to keep track of development in the context of the organization.

I imagine that inconsistent weather Midwest League teams have to deal with may also be a factor in why the White Sox have affiliates clustered in the southeast instead of having an A team in South Bend or Appleton or Duluth-Superior.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:06 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I imagine that inconsistent weather Midwest League teams have to deal with may also be a factor in why the White Sox have affiliates clustered in the southeast instead of having an A team in South Bend or Appleton or Duluth-Superior.
Ironically, this is probably the only legitimate reason why I think the Sox should try and move at least one affiliate into the Midwest or Northeast or somewhere that routinely has cold weather early in the season. Maybe I think it is a bigger deal than it really is, but I don't like the fact that guys may never really have to play in cold weather until they get to the Majors.

But yeah, keeping the teams together I'm sure has a far greater impact on scouting and coaching.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:04 PM
WSI Guru

The only thing that doesn't make sense to me in looking at the Sox minor league affiliates is having a team in Montana.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I mean... does anyone really think the Sox would get some kind of monumental bump if they had an A-ball team somewhere in the region? Are any of you REALLY going to drive to South Bend or wherver Kane County plays to watch a bunch of kids who are basically straight out of high school?
I always thought that the incentive was the inverse of that - you put a team in Indiana or Iowa in order to generate fan interest and grow the fanbase in an area reasonably proximate to Chicago.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:03 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I always thought that the incentive was the inverse of that - you put a team in Indiana or Iowa in order to generate fan interest and grow the fanbase in an area reasonably proximate to Chicago.
Are you telling me you actually believe that in this day of cable TV, internet, and smartphones, kids are still going to form lifelong fandoms of baseball teams based on which MLB team is affiliated with their podunk town's minor league team?

If that were the case, then wouldn't the Sox have a huge following the Carolinas? Because I doubt they do.

Last edited by doublem23; 09-25-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:18 PM
WSI High Priest

I think local affiliations are mutually beneficial. More people would tend to go to a local minor league game if the local minor league team feeds the local major league team.

Look at all the people that flock to Iowa to see the Cubs prospects and how all the Iowans flock to the Crumbling Confines. The Sox have exactly 0% of that going on. A vast majority of the teams in MLB have one or more MiLB affiliate in a relatively close proximity. Just seems the Sox are missing the boat

Most Sox fans have no ****ing clue who's in the minors other than the 30 second snapshot once per game on the Jumbotron of who's "hot" that week. (If they still even do that)

Old 09-26-2014, 12:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Are people in Chicago going to go to South Bend or Kane County to see a Sox minor league team? No. But will people who live in South Bend or Kane County become Sox fans and maybe more likely to buy Sox gear or travel to see a Sox game to watch a kid they saw play in A-Ball three years ago play? I think they would. Judging from all the people in South Bend who are now declaring themselves Cubs fans and wearing Cubs gear, I would say it would have an impact.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Are people in Chicago going to go to South Bend or Kane County to see a Sox minor league team? No. But will people who live in South Bend or Kane County become Sox fans and maybe more likely to buy Sox gear or travel to see a Sox game to watch a kid they saw play in A-Ball three years ago play? I think they would. Judging from all the people in South Bend who are now declaring themselves Cubs fans and wearing Cubs gear, I would say it would have an impact.
I don't agree with your conclusion. When the Iowa Oaks were a White Sox affiliate, it didn't generate a White Sox pocket in Iowa, but when I asked a new co-worker why she was a bandwagon Cubs fan in the late '90s, she became indignant and pointed out she came from Iowa, making the Cubs her home team.

You see more Giants gear than Dodgers gear in Fresno, and the Giants having their AAA team in Fresno may have a small influence, although the local college team has a bigger following than the Grizzlies. You But you see Dodgers caps in Fresno. If you're inclined to be a Dodgers fan, you're not going to buy Giants gear because your local Grizzlies are affiliated with the Giants.

I don't imagine South Bend is recruiting Cubs fans who would be Sox fans if the Sox still had a working agreement with the local Class A team. I don't imagine the White Sox created much of a following in South Bend when they had a team in South Bend.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:43 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Are you telling me you actually believe that in this day of cable TV, internet, and smartphones, kids are still going to form lifelong fandoms of baseball teams based on which MLB team is affiliated with their podunk town's minor league team?

If that were the case, then wouldn't the Sox have a huge following the Carolinas? Because I doubt they do.
The Montreal Expos were my second team for a decent amount of time because their A team was in Rockford by where I grew up. I went to a ton of Rockford Expos games their first 2-3 seasons. For the people who live in the podunk towns it's fun to see and brag that you saw guys on the A team who went on to be come good MLB players.

Obviously I'm just one example and maybe an anomaly, but I'm guessing that even if it is a small number there are some Sox fans in Charlotte, Birmingham, etc. that wouldn't be there without the minor league teams. The problem is those people are not very likely to travel to Chicago more than once every few years to see a game.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:57 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
So where are all the legions of Sox fans from the Carolinas all at? Since we've had a very strong MILB presence there for at least 20 years, there should be some Sox fans down there, right?

The problem with our minor league teams isn't where they are located. The problem is they haven't produced any talent.