White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Was he completely healthy to start the season?
Might depend on your definition, but he played in the AFL.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
I guess my hope on that question is that his injury last season directly or indirectly led to his poor start this season. Whether that has any truth or not, I have no idea.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I guess my hope on that question is that his injury last season directly or indirectly led to his poor start this season. Whether that has any truth or not, I have no idea.
I'm guessing it was more the rust factor, which in my opinion, is an indirect result of his injury (as opposed to his ankle negatively impacting his game).
Old 06-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Lillibridge was a highly thought of player for Atlanta's system,

Harrell never dominated like Remenowsky,

Marrero is doing things right down in AA. He probably should be trying his hand at AAA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Kuhn is probably closer to Ryan Theriot

Remenowsky can be sneaky fast,

Omogrosso had some big injuries

Marrero draws walks,

Infante needs to improve his control,
Thanks for all of this, guys.

Meanwhile, since I've taken an interest in Mr. Kuhn, his OPS has plummetted from .927 to .888. In any case, if he continues to produce at a good level, he needs to be playing in Charlotte instead of the 30-something Gookie Dawkins. [Only 4 errors in 49 games so far, BTW!]

I'd heard that Remenowsky has a high pitching and baseball IQ, so I'll continue to watch him with interest. That said, he's still a former NDFA, so perhaps he lacks a baseline level of ability to become anything of note.

I don't know what to make of Marrero, Infante, and Omogrosso.

Insofar as Mitchell goes, I'm content to see more improvement on his part. I don't see the need to promote him until he learns everything he needs to learn at A+, regardless of his draft status or age. [This is due to him being considered "raw" when he was drafted.]

I'd rather have him as complete a player as he can be in 2013 in Chicago than to have him become another incomplete player and pushed to Chicago in 2012.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
Thanks for all of this, guys.

Meanwhile, since I've taken an interest in Mr. Kuhn, his OPS has plummetted from .927 to .888. In any case, if he continues to produce at a good level, he needs to be playing in Charlotte instead of the 30-something Gookie Dawkins. [Only 4 errors in 49 games so far, BTW!]

I'd heard that Remenowsky has a high pitching and baseball IQ, so I'll continue to watch him with interest. That said, he's still a former NDFA, so perhaps he lacks a baseline level of ability to become anything of note.

I don't know what to make of Marrero, Infante, and Omogrosso.

Insofar as Mitchell goes, I'm content to see more improvement on his part. I don't see the need to promote him until he learns everything he needs to learn at A+, regardless of his draft status or age. [This is due to him being considered "raw" when he was drafted.]

I'd rather have him as complete a player as he can be in 2013 in Chicago than to have him become another incomplete player and pushed to Chicago in 2012.
Kuhn is pretty fringy. Reports of his defense aren't very good. Marrero is hard to get a read on as the organization doesn't really seem to regard him that highly. Rem doesn't have velocity but is the quintessential "knows how to pitch" guy and the results have been great throughout his progression.

Infante is legitimate and the best prospect of the players you mentioned. If he harnesses his control and becomes more consistent with the breaking pitch he could be an impact relief arm.

Ultimately, none of these guys are that great but there isn't much else to get excited about.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Might depend on your definition of "played."

Batted .163 with 27 strikeouts in 24 games.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats....id=119&t=l_bat

"See you on a dark night."
Old 06-01-2011, 04:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Might depend on your definition of "played."

Batted .163 with 27 strikeouts in 24 games.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats....id=119&t=l_bat
Well, the point was that he played a substantial amount of games and was apparently healthy enough to take the field.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Phegley with a career night tonight, basically straps the Barons on his back and caries them.

Final Line: 4/4, 1 2B, 1 HR, 7 RBI

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-02-2011, 10:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Phegley's only 23, so he's still got plenty of time. His defense still has to improve though. Unfortunately for him, for catchers, good defense is more important than good hitting.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Phegley's only 23, so he's still got plenty of time. His defense still has to improve though. Unfortunately for him, for catchers, good defense is more important than good hitting.
Indeed. I'm not optimistic though. He's an awful catcher.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:45 PM
WSI High Priest

C Michael Blanke promoted to W-S. Mired in a 2-34 slump right now, but has been fairly productive otherwise. He's an interesting one to keep an eye on.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
C Michael Blanke promoted to W-S. Mired in a 2-34 slump right now, but has been fairly productive otherwise. He's an interesting one to keep an eye on.
Yea the slump has been prolonged and somewhat disappointing, but he had a pretty decent start to the year. Would like to see some more walks and a bit more power though. How he performs in W-S should be pretty telling as he was a bit old to be playing in Low-A.

I hope Miguel Gonzalez gets the call from extended to Kanny.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Yea the slump has been prolonged and somewhat disappointing, but he had a pretty decent start to the year. Would like to see some more walks and a bit more power though. How he performs in W-S should be pretty telling as he was a bit old to be playing in Low-A.

I hope Miguel Gonzalez gets the call from extended to Kanny.
Jeez, I forgot all about Gonzalez. He has shown some flashes. You're right, hopefully he fills that spot.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Miguel Gonzalez to Kanny.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Miguel Gonzalez to Kanny.
Excellent.

On a different note: Marrero had himself a night: 4-4, 2 HR, 5 R, 3 RBI, 1 BB (.337/.398/.601/.999)
Closed Thread