White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Banned

Default Why can't the White Sox do this?

Futures at Fenway is one of my favorite days of the summer....

It is a win, win for everybody - fans and the kids who get a chance to play at Fenway.

I also don't understand why the White Sox don't have at least one minor league team close to Chicago (see Midwest League)

Indianapolis would be a great AAA market and in A you have Lake County, Kane County, South Bend, Ft. Wayne and West Michigan as possible places to expand the White Sox brand.

The Yankees and Mets even have A teams in Staten island and Brooklyn.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...at_fenw_1.html
Old 02-05-2011, 09:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

The White Sox had a AAA affiliate in Iowa from 73-74 and 76-80. They also had one in Indianapolis from 57-59 and 62-67.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
The White Sox had a AAA affiliate in Iowa from 73-74 and 76-80. They also had one in Indianapolis from 57-59 and 62-67.
Boston has 3 teams within 100 miles of Fenway - SS A -Lowell, AA - Portland and the crown jewel - AAA - Pawtucket.

I have had several Chicago baseball nuts go to Pawtucket and they all said the same thing - "Wow...this place is heaven." I have yet to meet a person who has gone to McCoy Stadium and did not enjoy it.

Portland, Maine is almost as good.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 AM
WSI Regular

I have always wondered the same thing. I give props to the Cubs for having the Peoria Chiefs kind of close to home.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman24 View Post
I have always wondered the same thing. I give props to the Cubs for having the Peoria Chiefs kind of close to home.
and the Iowa Flubbies in AAA - still having a minor league DH at the Cell would be fun. There is NO downside to doing it.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
and the Iowa Flubbies in AAA - still having a minor league DH at the Cell would be fun. There is NO downside to doing it.
They have had the opportunities to do it. Both Kane County and Fort Wayne changed affiliates within the last few years.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:50 PM
WSI Regular

The Sox used to have South Bend as their low A affiliate several years ago, I believe.

I live in Fort Wayne and, of course, would LOVE to see them become Sox affiliates.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman24 View Post
They have had the opportunities to do it. Both Kane County and Fort Wayne changed affiliates within the last few years.
Manchester, NH has a AA team - Toronto - and the owner wants Boston badly - but Portand, Maine has worked well.

NYY now has AAA in Scranton ( which strangely has always been NYY not Phillies) and AA Trenton.

I concede that New England is a market where it is easy for Boston to place clubs - but the White Sox should be in the Midwest League and not the South Atlantic. in low A

AA - no easy fit to Chicago - Cleveland has a team in the Eastern League in Ohio but I can't see the league going west of that.

AAA? Indianapolis would be the best fit. They can not be thrilled being a Pittsburgh team.

Boston has always used the Sally instead of the Midwest and right now is in Greenville SC. The irony is the park is next to the Joe Jackson Museum which is a White Sox shrine.

Greenville people now love the Red Sox as they are still bitter at how Atlanta pulled the AA team. I was actually stunned by it.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

For the sake of comparison here, what does the Knights' ballpark look like at dusk?

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 02-05-2011, 06:29 PM
The Grand Wazoo

The White Sox have long preferred to keep their upper level affiliates in the same geographic area to cut travel costs for scouts and roaming instructors.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
For the sake of comparison here, what does the Knights' ballpark look like at dusk?
Don't see what that matters, but I'm sure you can Google it and find pics.

I haven't been to many minor league stadiums. I was not impressed with the A-ball Cleveland stadium in Kinston NC when I went to see the WS team there several years ago. On the other hand I did enjoy the Dayton Dragons (Reds AAA affiliate I believe) the few times I have gone. They built a nice retro stadium downtown Dayton close to the rivers which seats about 20K IIRC and has picnic seating on open grass sections in the OF where most teams have bleachers. Place is clean and modern while still giving a very nice feel for old time baseball with lots of wrought iron fixtures around and excellent amenities too.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-05-2011, 07:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
The White Sox have long preferred to keep their upper level affiliates in the same geographic area to cut travel costs for scouts and roaming instructors.
Would the minor league teams draw more if they were close to Chicago? That would offset the travel costs. Charlotte and Birmingham are big minor league markets, but so is Indy.

Wolfram Alpha should be able to tell me the closest minor league teams to Chicago, but it said "development of this topic is under investigation". Fail.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:24 PM
MMXXIII

http://www.baseball-reference.com/tr...606&radius=100

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Would the minor league teams draw more if they were close to Chicago? That would offset the travel costs. Charlotte and Birmingham are big minor league markets, but so is Indy.

Wolfram Alpha should be able to tell me the closest minor league teams to Chicago, but it said "development of this topic is under investigation". Fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The Chicago area is home to the highest number of minor league baseball teams in the country.

All hail The Rick
Old 02-05-2011, 10:36 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The Chicago area is home to the highest number of minor league baseball teams in the country.
Almost all of them are in unaffiliated leagues that are struggling to survive.