WSI High Priest

Post Sox town

Cowley says its now a Sox town.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...-town-now.html
Old 02-11-2011, 06:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

Oh, brother. ANd Cubbie fans are lighting up Mully and Hanley's show with their outrage. They are obviously not as familiar with Cowley as we are. If they were, they would be yawning.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I won't believe it until the Tribune says so.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
Oh, brother. ANd Cubbie fans are lighting up Mully and Hanley's show with their outrage. They are obviously not as familiar with Cowley as we are. If they were, they would be yawning.
Sox a better team than the Cubbies? That's ok with most Cubbie fans. Say the Sox are more popular, that the Sox win The Attendance Game? Cubbie fans heads explode.

Nothing is more precious to them than the glory of holding The Attendance Championship Trophy each year.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 02-11-2011, 07:57 AM
WSI High Priest

I won't believe it until fans start staying away from Wrigley Field on a more regular basis.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochpuppy View Post
I won't believe it until the Tribune says so.
You mean the CUB-Une??
Old 02-11-2011, 08:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveFisk View Post
I won't believe it until fans start staying away from Wrigley Field on a more regular basis.
I gave up caring about attendance/popularity when I realized I had no stake in it financially and/or as a fan. As soon as the Sox start writing me a check, and one that is based on attendance/popularity, I'll start caring. The Cubbies attendance/popularity seems to matter little in regards to the quality of the team on the field.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
You mean the CUB-Une??
Teal?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Yeah, sure, Joe. Since you're no longer the beat writer, NOW pat Kenny Williams on the back and give him
a hearty hand shake.After spending years knocking nearly every move he made.Class act, Joe.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Teal?
Now it is. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
Yeah, this sounds like Cowley in his typical "stirring up ****" mode. But hey, if it's getting Cubs fans outraged, that's fine with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Sox a better team than the Cubbies? That's ok with most Cubbie fans. Say the Sox are more popular, that the Sox win The Attendance Game? Cubbie fans heads explode.

Nothing is more precious to them than the glory of holding The Attendance Championship Trophy each year.
Bingo. Many (..and before anyone replies, I didn't say "all" and I'll refrain from even saying "most") Cubs fans still want to pretend that the Sox are irrelevant and don't have any fans. Those clowns just need to face reality and see that this isn't 1998 anymore.

Do I think this is a "Sox town" now? No. I think Cowley is just trying to push people's buttons. The number of Cubs fans still, by far, outnumbers Sox fans. But the Sox have made big gains since winning over the World Series. This is a totally unscientific test, but when I'm out driving around where I live in DuPage, I see just as many (if not more) cars with Sox stickers or license plate frames as those with Cubs stuff. It doesn't mean it's a Sox town, but people can no longer assume anymore that everyone is a Cubs fans.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:16 AM
WSI Personality

Good article.
I am so excited for the season to start.

I don't think Chicago is going to "officially" be best in show in regards to baseball on a public perspective just yet.

#1 Wrigley Field must go (or if it doesn't go , the fascination has to wain ). When general visitors come to Chicago and go to a baseball game they go to Wrigley to see the Cubs. It is a historic ballpark in a trendy neighborhood that out of towners feel they must see. The true educated
baseball fan most likely goes to US Cell to see a better product and doesn't really care about Wrigley and the neighborhood.

#2 Celebrity endorsements must go up - Yes we need more non-Chicagoan celebs like Justin Beiber to hype up the Sox. We need the President and others to hype up the Sox. The "yuppy" backings of famous Chicagoans needs to fall by the wayside (such as Vaugh, Cusack , Sinese , etc. etc)

#3- We need to win not just this year, but for a couple years.
It doesn't have to mean be in the WS every year , but win the division
and be in the playoffs.

I honestly like being a great great fan of the second team in the second city.
I can get tickets good tickets at a non- insane price
and enjoy the game for what it is really is "baseball" and not a "frat" party.
I don't want the Sox to get to BIG to ruin it for me LOL

just my two cents on this article --
Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxlady8 View Post
Good article.

I don't think Chicago is going to "officially" be best in show in regards to baseball on a public perspective just yet.

#1 Wrigley Field must go (or if it doesn't go , the fascination has to wain ). When general visitors come to Chicago and go to a baseball game they go to Wrigley to see the Cubs. It is a historic ballpark in a trendy neighborhood that out of towners feel they must see. The true educated
baseball fan most likely goes to US Cell to see a better product and doesn't really care about Wrigley and the neighborhood.

#2 Celebrity endorsements must go up - Yes we need more non-Chicagoan celebs like Justin Beiber to hype up the Sox. We need the President and others to hype up the Sox. The "yuppy" backings of famous Chicagoans needs to fall by the wayside (such as Vaugh, Cusack , Sinese , etc. etc)

and be in the playoffs.

I agree with you besides the bolded part.

We need to look past our Cubbie-bashing and admit that Wrigley is a draw for "true" baseball fans as well. It's hard for us to imagine, because it's in our backyard, but I'm sure when fathers and sons and friends are drawing up maps and plans for baseball road trips, Wrigley is one of the first names they mention, and certainly the first name that comes up in conjunction to the Midwest. Just as baseball fans want to see Fenway Park, Dodger Stadium, etc.

The Cell doesn't offer anything terribly unique. There is no "must-see" aspect about it. Sure, thanks to the terrific renovations of the last six or seven years, travelling out-of-towners are more likely to make a stop at 35th and Shields if they're passing through or in Chicago when the Cubs are out of town...but that doesn't make it a destination.

And "quality of product on the field" is an absolute non-factor when it comes to baseball road trips. PNC Park and Camden Yards, just to name two, are some of the most praised parks in the majors.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxlady8 View Post
Good article.

and be in the playoffs.

Please god not Justin Bieber.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post

I'm only mildly annoyed by all things Cubs, but this is exactly my sentiment, and it says it all as far as I'm concerned.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell