Soxogram: 
Happy Spring Training, Sox Fans!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2001, 08:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Garland?

Hey all, I couldn't get near a tv yesterday and thus missed the game. From seeing the box score, seems like I was better off. I was wondering how Garland looked. Seemed to have a decent outing, 4 runs, 3 earned in 7 innings. And better yet, 99 pitches in those 7 innings, so that would tend to indicate he was around the plate. Tell me if I'm wrong though. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2001, 08:45 AM
WSI High Priest

I turned the game on in and we were down 3-0. Someone here said that Valentin booted a ball that would have made Vaughn's homer a 2 run shot. Also I think it was in the 7th when Liefer booted a ball as well. The Rays had 1st and 2nd and a perfect double play ball was hit to Liefer but he misplayed it and the Rays had bases loaded wit nobody out. Then the next batter rolled into a double play which let the run score. So I think Jon pitched pretty good but I didn't see the first few innings.
Old 08-06-2001, 10:59 AM
New At WSI

Garland looked like a below average pitcher again. Gave up too many hits. 10 in 7 I think. Way too many for the hype that's pushed about him. But this year is over and what the heck, bring him back for another below average year next year. Where was all the hype about Beurle. How does a scout know. Obviously the Sox scouts don't. How many years should this kid get anyway. Yesterday it could have been much worse in the runs column and usually is when he starts....
Old 08-06-2001, 11:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by steelsox
Garland looked like a below average pitcher again. Gave up too many hits. 10 in 7 I think. Way too many for the hype that's pushed about him. But this year is over and what the heck, bring him back for another below average year next year.

dude do you know anything about baseball? Jon Garland is 22 years old and has fantastic stuff. Hes going to be a great pitcher in the major leagues for a long long time. 22 year old pitchers dont dominate out there. Hes in a learning process and its going to take another couple years. Learn something, anything, about baseball before you shoot your mouth off and doubt what a major league scout knows. OBVIOUSLY youre a pissed off cub fan who isnt happy you gave away jon.....
Old 08-06-2001, 11:25 AM
WSI Personality

Ohhh Bmr...throwing out the troll acusation on the dude's first post! Thats what we like to see...

"Some people are born to hit and I'm one of them."

- Frank Thomas
Old 08-06-2001, 11:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
dude do you know anything about baseball? Jon Garland is 22 years old and has fantastic stuff. Hes going to be a great pitcher in the major leagues for a long long time. 22 year old pitchers dont dominate out there. Hes in a learning process and its going to take another couple years. Learn something, anything, about baseball before you shoot your mouth off and doubt what a major league scout knows. OBVIOUSLY youre a pissed off cub fan who isnt happy you gave away jon.....
Well, BMR, now i remember why we always had huge arguements...LOL!!!

Anyways, he has a right to his opinion. Garland did look very rough out there again, too many "get-me-over" pitches, that's for sure.

As usual, the defense fell asleep, and as I have said all along, I don't care how badly you need Liefer's bat in there, you DO NOT SACRIFICE 3B for him......1st or LF, that's it, he's a hack.

Garland and Kip haven't had the best defensive help. Garland is a pure ground ball pitcher, and it's obvious that his repetoire does not fit Kip and Buehrle's, so he has a tough time. He needs the benefit of a veteran slider-pitcher to teach him when and how to throw it and throw it for strikes, because that seems to be his biggest problem. Spotting his fastball is a bit of a problem too, but for a 21 year-old, he is going to get many more chances to prove himself. He still doesn't appear comfortable on the mound when he is starting....

Just my observations, but he's 1 year younger than Buehrle, and look what he's doing..........needs to mature between the ears....
Old 08-06-2001, 11:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

You only have a right to your opinion when its based on knowledge. To expect a 22 year old pitcher to dominate, shows zero knowledge.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:22 PM
Chief Geek - Security Guard

Quote:
Ohhh Bmr...throwing out the troll acusation on the dude's first post! Thats what we like to see...
Well, that's guys message was ridiculous. Garland gave up 2 earned runs. Granted, I could have hit that thing he threw to Vaughn, but Garland does not suck.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Granted, I could have hit that thing he threw to Vaughn, but Garland does not suck.

Think you could hit me?
Old 08-06-2001, 12:30 PM
Parking Lot Attendant

I could probably hit you.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by Jjav829

I could probably hit you.
Harold please quit.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:38 PM
Parking Lot Attendant

Quote:
Harold please quit.
I've given up my thinking of Harold retiring. Probably because hes not playing anymore, but also because I was tired of screaming at him, or at him on the TV about how much I hate him and want him to retire.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Well, that's guys message was ridiculous. Garland gave up 2 earned runr. Granted, I could have hit that thing he threw to Vaughn, but Garland does not suck.
I agree completely...when you look at the top pitchers in the majors who are they...Clemens, Johnson, Pedro, Schilling, etc. They are all in the late stages of their careers. We just need to be patient as hard as it may be. Jon, IMO, is going to be a very good pitcher in the majors eventually.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Well, that's guys message was ridiculous. Garland gave up 2 earned runr. Granted, I could have hit that thing he threw to Vaughn, but Garland does not suck.
what did i miss? LOL
Old 08-06-2001, 12:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

seems pretty obvious to me!