White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


View Poll Results: Should maple bats be banned?
Yes 24 55.81%
No 11 25.58%
Churros 8 18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-20-2010, 10:28 AM
gobears1987 gobears1987 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: From the Mideast to the Midwest
Posts: 15,709
Default Should Maple Bats be Banned?

It's a simple question. In light of the dangers posed by the bats to players, umpires, coaches, and fans, should the maple bats be banned? Tyler Colvin's recent misfortune was just the latest incident.

What does WSI think of maple bats? Personally I say it's time to just stick with ash.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,186
Default

The evolution from ash to maple bats was inevitable. A good piece of ash is hard to find.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-20-2010, 10:34 AM
gobears1987 gobears1987 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: From the Mideast to the Midwest
Posts: 15,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
The evolution from ash to maple bats was inevitable. A good piece of ash is hard to find.
Is it really worth someone getting killed?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
Is it really worth someone getting killed?
Well that raises an age-old question: Is any piece of ash worth dying for? Men have debated the issue for years. Some would answer that no piece of ash is ever worth dying for. Others would disagree. In my experience, I guess it really depends on the piece of ash.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-20-2010, 11:05 AM
soxfanatlanta soxfanatlanta is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Well that raises an age-old question: Is any piece of ash worth dying for? Men have debated the issue for years. Some would answer that no piece of ash is ever worth dying for. Others would disagree. In my experience, I guess it really depends on the piece of ash.
Troy fell because of a piece of ash.

I've been to a game where no less than four bats shattered across the infield; they are pretty damn dangerous, IMO.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,689
Default

Let's not get this roadhoused, folks.
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Luke Luke is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 847
Default

I'd say a qualified no at this point, but clearly the issue needs to be seriously and expediently studied.

It would certainly appear that maple is more prone to fail explosively, rather than splintering like ash. As I understand it, some manufacturers kiln maple billets to reach a really low moisture content, which reduces the ultimate weight of the bat, but makes it overly brittle.

It might be a little more prudent to set a minimum moisture content of maple bats, or force the manufacturers to control their processes a little tighter, rather than outright banning them. This would probably mean that some shapes won't be available in maple or would be unwieldy if they were still available.

I've actually been hearing a lot about birch as a compromise between ash and maple.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-20-2010, 02:08 PM
g0g0 g0g0 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,468
Default

It's sad we have to go to this type of stuff every time something happens. That's like saying we should get rid of tackling in football after someone gets a concussion. It's a part of the sport and the multitudes of millionaires are willing to take the risk(s). I know I sure would!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Red Barchetta Red Barchetta is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I'd say a qualified no at this point, but clearly the issue needs to be seriously and expediently studied.

It would certainly appear that maple is more prone to fail explosively, rather than splintering like ash. As I understand it, some manufacturers kiln maple billets to reach a really low moisture content, which reduces the ultimate weight of the bat, but makes it overly brittle.

It might be a little more prudent to set a minimum moisture content of maple bats, or force the manufacturers to control their processes a little tighter, rather than outright banning them. This would probably mean that some shapes won't be available in maple or would be unwieldy if they were still available.

I've actually been hearing a lot about birch as a compromise between ash and maple.
I agree. I still think the situations that would warrent such a move are still relatively rare.

What concerns me more is how close the field seats are now near the lines in many of the new retro ballparks. I'm surprised there are not more injuries to fans, etc.

I was at the SOX-Rays game last year in St. Pete and an elderly woman was hit in the head by a screaming/tailing foul ball into the press seating level (level between the upper deck and lower deck). Scary stuff!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-20-2010, 02:15 PM
gobears1987 gobears1987 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: From the Mideast to the Midwest
Posts: 15,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0g0 View Post
It's sad we have to go to this type of stuff every time something happens. That's like saying we should get rid of tackling in football after someone gets a concussion. It's a part of the sport and the multitudes of millionaires are willing to take the risk(s). I know I sure would!
The problem with your argument is that maple bats don't have to be a part of the sport and weren't for well over a century. Maple bats didn't enter widespread use until about a decade ago. Your argument fails on that account. Baseball was fine in the 1990s and prior when maple bats were rare or non-existent.

However, Bud will continue to hold an opinion similar to yours and a fan will get killed one day because no one will do anything. MLB can't say they haven't been warned.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Luke Luke is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0g0 View Post
It's sad we have to go to this type of stuff every time something happens. That's like saying we should get rid of tackling in football after someone gets a concussion. It's a part of the sport and the multitudes of millionaires are willing to take the risk(s). I know I sure would!
I understand the point completely, there's an assumed risk in any sport. Look at it this way though, if there is a risk that can be mitigated without fundamentally altering the game, doesn't it warrant a look?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-20-2010, 03:06 PM
pythons007 pythons007 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Cedar Lake IN
Posts: 2,543
Default

I've seen wood bats with a protective covering on them. Some kind of clear coated laminate. What's wrong with using that as apposed to just a wood bat? Does anyone know if those covers make the ball travel farther or faster giving the hitter more of an advantage?
__________________


YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-20-2010, 03:25 PM
g0g0 g0g0 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
The problem with your argument is that maple bats don't have to be a part of the sport and weren't for well over a century. Maple bats didn't enter widespread use until about a decade ago. Your argument fails on that account. Baseball was fine in the 1990s and prior when maple bats were rare or non-existent.

However, Bud will continue to hold an opinion similar to yours and a fan will get killed one day because no one will do anything. MLB can't say they haven't been warned.
There were still injuries due to bats splintering before maple bats came into vogue. The maple bats just happen to "shatter" more than ash. Colvin looked like he was 1/2 way home when he got hit. He really didn't have any time to move out of the way. Unfortunate, but just not change worthy IMO. Plus the bat makers are looking into making maple bats more sound. It's a catch-22. If we really want to be safe I would suggest turning to aluminum. But then that opens another whole list of problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I understand the point completely, there's an assumed risk in any sport. Look at it this way though, if there is a risk that can be mitigated without fundamentally altering the game, doesn't it warrant a look?
I agree that anything is worth a look. It's when we are asked to outright ban them that I have a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0g0 View Post
There were still injuries due to bats splintering before maple bats came into vogue.
Really? Do you have a source to support this? Because I sure don't remember it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Luke Luke is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons007 View Post
I've seen wood bats with a protective covering on them. Some kind of clear coated laminate. What's wrong with using that as apposed to just a wood bat? Does anyone know if those covers make the ball travel farther or faster giving the hitter more of an advantage?
I think those bats are designed to perform similar to a normal wood bat, but the MLB rule says that a bat has to be a single piece of wood.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.