White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:43 PM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 13,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Roarman View Post
This dude.....hahahaha...ohhhh...man....where to begin?

If you have such a "better" team and you continue to lose the division to their "sucky ass" team....maybe you don't have a better team. Did that ever occur to you? Or is it always some excuse built in. I'm not saying the Twins are some great, unbelieveable team, I'm just saying they're probably better than the Sox. So, ok, by your logic, the Twins don't have a better team, but they WANT to win, so much more so that it becomes sort of like magic willpower and combined with Gardenhire's sorcery makes them only SEEM like a better team.......almost....every...time...they play the Sox. Hmmm. Maybe there's something I'm not taking into account. Maybe they're just better at winning baseball games. You think it might just be that? Maybe, just maybe? Or the magic willpower excuse? I don't know.

And when did the Sox lay down? They rallied back TWICE in that game. Danks had a rough first inning where it looked like he wouldn't last more than a couple if he was lucky. He went 7 innings and while he didn't have his best stuff at all, he saved the already shorthanded bullpen even more strain. Thornton pitched out of a jam but unfortunately blew the save when he probably shouldn't have been in there, but I don't know if there was much of a choice at that point.

Oh no wait, it wasn't Thornton. It was at the bottom of the 8th inning when Young tried to cheapshot AJ (and it was a cheapshot) as he was thrown out. Because we didn't do anything about that, we lost the game.....buuuut the very next inning, the first pitch, Ramirez hit a home run to tie it. Hmmm, that doesn't fit into the logic of the magic willpower theory. Guess we'll just ignore that.

I hate calling people names, but when does this stupidity end?

Listen, when I say lay down, I say lay down in regards to the fact that we continue allowing such misbehavior without proper action. I am glad we fought back to almost win the game, but I am talking about making sure the Twins understand we are not just some team they can continue pushing around.

I don't know what cloud you're sitting on, guy, or this guy as you say (let me laugh at your previous post as you did to mine hahahahahahaahahahah), but if your theory of better teams always winning proves to be right then why the hell did the Yankees not win every damn championship for the past 11 years? Why have we had such parody in the league? Because there are teams that have a mental edge, not necessarily the edge in better teams. God knows how many ****ty teams have won in the playoffs (cardinals, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Astros). The Red Sox came back against the Yankees not because they had the better team but becayse they had what it took mentally to beat them. Mentality, what your franchise tries to believe the toughness- it all breeds in the clubhouse. If you allow others to hit you, if you submit to such bush league behavior then you are not strong enough as a team to fight back against it.

What you are mentally as a team has as much to do with what you are on paper as a team. The White Sox have had better teams (on paper) year after year, but lose everything in the final months time after time, because we are a team full of good guys.

It's a really simple concept to grasp. You don't kill people, you don't break their heads, you don't murder their families, all you do is make sure that they understand that you are human beings that deserve the same respect they do and that refuse to have such behavior inflicted upon them. Quite simple, you have to establish a winners mentality, not a "hey lets let these guys do whatever they want to us and pray we win" mentality like we have for quite a while now.

The Twins have had inferior teams, and have won- not because they are so much better with the players they have, but because they are ready and prepared to beat the Sox by any means when it comes down to it.

If the game was played by your awesome "best team wins " standard, we would not be watching it because the Yankees would have won every world series for the past 110 years.

Still doesn't make sense? Or should I stop this sensical explanation?
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRy33ukckCs

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Bob Roarman Bob Roarman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,118
Default

McMahon- If you're more interested in winning the game, you don't put a guy on base and give the Twins another out to work with because it CAN hurt the Sox. They have enough problems with getting them out 3 times an inning, let along handing them a free base runner with, who, usually Thome coming up next? No thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:47 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Roarman View Post
McMahon- If you're more interested in winning the game, you don't put a guy on base and give the Twins another out to work with because it CAN hurt the Sox. They have enough problems with getting them out 3 times an inning, let along handing them a free base runner with, who, usually Thome coming up next? No thanks.
If there are 2 out in the first, drilling Mauer may even be better than pitching to him, results-wise. I'm sorry, I'm not into the macho thing, but its time the White Sox did something. They need to change the culture when the play in Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:49 PM
getonbckthr getonbckthr is offline
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: I can smell TBK from my front porch
Posts: 13,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringHomeDaBacon View Post
Let me get this straight. Delmon Young, a 24 year old and 6'3" 200lb professional athlete, makes contact with AJ Pierzynski, a 33 year old 6'3" 230 lb professional athlete, on a play where contact is allowed.

And this is analogues to a schoolyard bully?

Hardly.
Did you see the play in question? I'm assuming not. If you had you would have noticed Young went out of his way to go after AJ. Young after replay actually gave up a run to make contact with AJ. It was not an attempt to make a hard-nosed play, It was an attempt to take out and injure our catcher. So yes I think Ozzie Guillen and the Chicago White Sox, since major league baseball won't do anything about, should take it into our own hands. An eye for an eye.
__________________

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:51 PM
bunty_doghunter bunty_doghunter is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
Sorry for the confusion. I meant have Floyd drill someone in the 1st inning, preferably Mauer. If he gets tossed Buerhle takes his place ( assuming he is ready to go). Tommorow's game Floyd will start since he would have thrown only like 10 pitches today.
The main upside with drilling Mauer is he goes to first base instead of letting him hit a double or a homer!
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:52 PM
getonbckthr getonbckthr is offline
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: I can smell TBK from my front porch
Posts: 13,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty_doghunter View Post
The main upside with drilling Mauer is he goes to first base instead of letting him hit a double or a homer!
Ya hopefully shatters a kneecap or a couple ribs on top of it.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:53 PM
KMcMahon817 KMcMahon817 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Roarman View Post
McMahon- If you're more interested in winning the game, you don't put a guy on base and give the Twins another out to work with because it CAN hurt the Sox. They have enough problems with getting them out 3 times an inning, let along handing them a free base runner with, who, usually Thome coming up next? No thanks.
I am not going to go back and read all the nonsense in this thread, so sorry if I repeat something that I am sure has already been said.

For the most part, I agree. You never want to give a team an extra out, especially the Twins at home, and well, against us. BUT, you have to protect your players. It is a part of the game. Hopefully Delmon comes up with 2 outs and no one or two outs and a man on second, but it needs to be done. I actually like Joe Mauer, I grew up in MN, he is in MN boy, and damn he is good at baseball. But, put one in his ribs if that's what you want to do, but some kind of response is needed.
__________________
2013 Attendance Record: TBD

2012 Attendance Record: 6-4
2011 Attendance Record: 3-3
2010 Attendance Record: 4-3
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:58 PM
hi im skot hi im skot is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lincoln Square
Posts: 9,788
Default

Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:59 PM
bunty_doghunter bunty_doghunter is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
Did you see the play in question? I'm assuming not. If you had you would have noticed Young went out of his way to go after AJ. Young after replay actually gave up a run to make contact with AJ. It was not an attempt to make a hard-nosed play, It was an attempt to take out and injure our catcher. So yes I think Ozzie Guillen and the Chicago White Sox, since major league baseball won't do anything about, should take it into our own hands. An eye for an eye.
AJ should thank Young. AJ is out of position in front of the bag and could easily have not tagged him out in time if he dives for the bag or slides. Young thought he was toast which is why he did what he thought was his only chance to score, knock the ball out. Nobody likes to see his guy hit, but this was a GOOD thing to keep the score off the board.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 08-18-2010, 04:02 PM
hawkjt hawkjt is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,880
Default

Clearly the Twins are very comfortable at the plate vs the Sox and have hit well vs the Sox. Part of the reason might be because we do not move their feet, pitch inside,and occasionally hit them. They have done that vs the Sox over the years.

After Carlos hit a homer last week, the next time he was up,first base was open,and Perkins intentionally hit him,as the umpire then warned both teams. Now, that is not a play the Sox have done in recent years,especially vs the Sox. Every time Carlos gets hit, he could get a broken hand and be out for the season. It is a risk the Twins are willing to take with Carlos's season,yet the Sox are unwilling to risk hurting Mauer or Young in this fashion...why? It is bad baseball not to throw inside and move them off the plate. Plant the seed in their heads that the Sox are not conscientious objectors and might just hit them. Maybe they will not dig in so comfortably.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 08-18-2010, 04:05 PM
hangwithem hangwithem is offline
New At WSI
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6
Default

I don't think the Sox should be in the business of acting like school girls by throwing at guys just because the other team did something first. How about taking the next two games of the series. That would be nice instead of "The Sox might have lost 4-1, but at least we planted one in Mauer's ribs."
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 08-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Bob Roarman Bob Roarman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,118
Default

Carlos takes that risk every game against every team because he stands on the plate. So unless he changes that, that elevated risk will be continue to be there no matter who the Sox are facing.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 08-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Bob Roarman Bob Roarman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Listen, when I say lay down, I say lay down in regards to the fact that we continue allowing such misbehavior without proper action. I am glad we fought back to almost win the game, but I am talking about making sure the Twins understand we are not just some team they can continue pushing around.

I don't know what cloud you're sitting on, guy, or this guy as you say (let me laugh at your previous post as you did to mine hahahahahahaahahahah), but if your theory of better teams always winning proves to be right then why the hell did the Yankees not win every damn championship for the past 11 years? Why have we had such parody in the league? Because there are teams that have a mental edge, not necessarily the edge in better teams. God knows how many ****ty teams have won in the playoffs (cardinals, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Astros). The Red Sox came back against the Yankees not because they had the better team but becayse they had what it took mentally to beat them. Mentality, what your franchise tries to believe the toughness- it all breeds in the clubhouse. If you allow others to hit you, if you submit to such bush league behavior then you are not strong enough as a team to fight back against it.

What you are mentally as a team has as much to do with what you are on paper as a team. The White Sox have had better teams (on paper) year after year, but lose everything in the final months time after time, because we are a team full of good guys.

It's a really simple concept to grasp. You don't kill people, you don't break their heads, you don't murder their families, all you do is make sure that they understand that you are human beings that deserve the same respect they do and that refuse to have such behavior inflicted upon them. Quite simple, you have to establish a winners mentality, not a "hey lets let these guys do whatever they want to us and pray we win" mentality like we have for quite a while now.

The Twins have had inferior teams, and have won- not because they are so much better with the players they have, but because they are ready and prepared to beat the Sox by any means when it comes down to it.

If the game was played by your awesome "best team wins " standard, we would not be watching it because the Yankees would have won every world series for the past 110 years.

Still doesn't make sense? Or should I stop this sensical explanation?
I'm not saying the best team wins every game. But if a team continues to beat you, year in year out, maybe they're just better at baseball, not better at throwing at players. Is this not possible or something? I know the never ending hatred of rivalry blinds a lot of people and makes them unable to concede something like that, but at what point does it become overwhelmingly clear? Never? That's what it seems like. This type of "revenge" is unnecessary, especially at this point of the season.

They need WINS. You're not going to help your team by maybe getting one of your own players suspended or hurt in the aftermath of whatever stupidity that happens because you want to start a beanball war.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 08-18-2010, 04:12 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Roarman View Post
Carlos takes that risk every game against every team because he stands on the plate. So unless he changes that, that elevated risk will be continue to be there no matter who the Sox are facing.
He gets hit a lot, no question about it. He was drilled, however, last week. It was no accident he was hit. Every batter risks getting hit, and when your team has been hitting players and giving some cheap shots, that risk should become elevated.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 08-18-2010, 04:13 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Roarman View Post
McMahon- If you're more interested in winning the game, you don't put a guy on base and give the Twins another out to work with because it CAN hurt the Sox. They have enough problems with getting them out 3 times an inning, let along handing them a free base runner with, who, usually Thome coming up next? No thanks.
Tony La Russa, who for all his flaws has won a ton of games, has ordered guys hit and lost the game but he figured that losing that one game was worth it down the road because teams knew they couldn't **** around with his teams. Yea, you might lose the game but you're telling teams to be careful because you won't sit idly by while they are plunking guys and that might pay off in spades down the stretch when the team knows their pitchers have their backs. There is a lot of history to suggest that retaliation works and it doesn't show up in the box score.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.