White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2010, 10:56 PM
WSI Personality

Default Morel Coming On Fast

He struggled when he got promoted to AAA, but he has really put it together. He has at least one extra base hit in each of his last 6 games, including 6 doubles, 2 triples and a homer.
He's hitting .421 in his last 10 games, and is now over .300 at Charlotte, after hitting .326 at Birmingham.
Given his very good defense, do you think he might be next year's pick for third?
If Viciedo is ready to play full time next year, would he be able to hold down first base?
Old 07-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian View Post
He struggled when he got promoted to AAA, but he has really put it together. He has at least one extra base hit in each of his last 6 games, including 6 doubles, 2 triples and a homer.
He's hitting .421 in his last 10 games, and is now over .300 at Charlotte, after hitting .326 at Birmingham.
Given his very good defense, do you think he might be next year's pick for third?
If Viciedo is ready to play full time next year, would he be able to hold down first base?
It'd be awesome if Morel was ready for 3rd next year. But Viciedo at first is another no thanks. That guy has DH written all over him. But so does Quentin. So who knows what happens to Dayan. But back on topic, Morel at 3rd would be awesome
Old 07-16-2010, 11:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Sounds like a trading chip for the deadline.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 07-17-2010, 08:15 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
For an experienced third baseman who is a good fielder and hits well? OK

I'm not interested in another lost decade of revolving doors at the hot corner.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Bingo. Not excited about losing him, but he's definitely being dangled as trade bait.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Morel-Ramirez-Beckham-Viciedo would be a young/cheap infield for a few years...which could free up salary for pitching or AJ's successor.

I think Viciedo could develop into a decent 1st baseman...he's only 21.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 07-17-2010, 11:29 AM
WSI Prelate

Great ....let's find some declining veteran to trade him for.

One might note that the SOX have no real 3rd baseman.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Great ....let's find some declining veteran to trade him for.

One might note that the SOX have no real 3rd baseman.
Pretty much.

I'd love Morel on the Sox, but the organization has no ammo for a trade. Flowers and Jordan Danks have little value currently. The rest of the farm system is devoid of anything but fringe prospects and potential relief arms.

Any impact trade/addition is contingent on at least one of Hudson/Viciedo/Morel.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Banned

I'd rather not trade Morel.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Any impact trade/addition is contingent on at least one of Hudson/Viciedo/Morel.
That's true. We have 3 prospects and probably shouldn't trade any of them because we have so few.

I will point out that we traded 3 prospects for Swisher; yet, when we traded Javy plus Logan, we got one legit prospect (we had zeroed in on ONE prospect, and even threw Logan in to make sure we got him). When we traded Swisher away, we got none (not even one we thought as a prospect at the time). That's why I don't like the Sox trading prospects. It's a mess. I wonder if Arizona would trade Chris YOung for Flowers.

And contrary to cw, there are several around the league we've traded away who could help this team right now.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:21 PM
WSI Personality

I've been a big fan of Morel since the moment he got drafted so I'm definitely biased to say this, but I don't think the Sox should trade Morel. He is the only true third baseman we have and his bat is coming around pretty nicely although it's not exactly spectacular. Viciedo will end up at either first or DH so we will need to have someone at third. I know we have Teahen locked up for 2 more yearsbut he's not inspiring any confidence in me and I think Morel can at least put up Teahen's numbers while providing great defence. The only instance where the Sox should trade Morel is if they are trading for a proven veteran at third who is still in the thick of his prime. Otherwise, I'd rather see them keep him.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Keep in mind that the Sox told Morel that when he's ready, the 3B job is pretty much his. Teahen, even with his extension, will not be a roadblock. There's an interview from a month or so ago where he mentions this. He was asked how he felt about being stuck behind Teahen, and apparently they basically told him not to worry about it, he's going to be their guy.

Sox may be higher on Morel than you think. That doesn't mean Kenny won't deal him, he'll deal anyone, but I don't think it's as likely as you guys are making it seem.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Keep in mind that the Sox told Morel that when he's ready, the 3B job is pretty much his. Teahen, even with his extension, will not be a roadblock. There's an interview from a month or so ago where he mentions this. He was asked how he felt about being stuck behind Teahen, and apparently they basically told him not to worry about it, he's going to be their guy.

Sox may be higher on Morel than you think. That doesn't mean Kenny won't deal him, he'll deal anyone, but I don't think it's as likely as you guys are making it seem.
How about Morel switches jerseys with Mark and then when we bring Teahen off the DL, what looks like Teahen will actually be Brent Morel and then we can trade the fake Brent Morel (Teahen) to Washington for Adam Dunn
Old 07-17-2010, 04:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
I'd rather not trade Morel.
I agree.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Morel-Ramirez-Beckham-Viciedo would be a young/cheap infield for a few years...which could free up salary for pitching or AJ's successor.

I think Viciedo could develop into a decent 1st baseman...he's only 21.

We have AJ's successor in Flowers already, and Floyd, Danks, Peavy, and Buehrle are all under team control for the next few years with Hudson being a strong candidate as well. I have a strong feeling that at least 1 of Dayan or Morel will be traded at the deadline. Not for a rental though, not Kenny's style. I'm hoping for a surprise trade that brings us a good OF under contract for at least a little while. Dayan, Morel, and Jor. Danks could net us a pretty good arb. eligible player that a non contending team doesnt want to pay.