Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2010, 10:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Randy Williams countdown clock

Before you dismiss me as an overreactor calling for someone's head after two games, listen to my line of thought.

First of all (and I've said this for a while), why is Williams even here in the first place? There were much, much better options in free agency that could have been had on a minor league deal (Joe Beimel, Kiko Calero). IMO we have better options in house (Nunez, perhaps Hudson if he wasn't our starter of the future, even guys like Erick Threets who had a strong spring). He was decent, mediocre for a bit more than a month last year, most of which meant pretty much nothing to us at that point. I honestly don't know what KW and Ozzie see in him, IMO it's beyond even Coop's ability to "fix" a 35 year old with a career ERA of 6. Hell, his ERA is barely below 5 in Triple A for crying out loud.

Point is, there's a reason he was out of the majors for 5 years. I don't know how much longer we can use him.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:50 AM
WSI Guru

Not saying Williams was the 'be all, end all' but to say Nunez and (or) Threets are better options is ludricrous in my opinion.

I don't know if the Sox really have any "good" options from the left side to back up Thornton.

Lip
Old 04-08-2010, 10:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Because he is perfectly adequate at getting lefties out, and it's when he is overused when he gets hit. If he is used properly, Randy is fine.

Also, Nunez has looked pretty bad in any of his appearances with the big league club, and continued that trend in spring training. He is seemingly being converted into a starter as well. As far as Hudson goes, I'd rather him continue starting for when he will inevitably replace Garcia when he implodes/goes down. Neither of these guys are lefties either.

Last edited by DirtySox; 04-08-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Because he is perfectly adequate at getting lefties out, and it's when he is overused is when he gets hit. If he is used properly, Randy is fine.

Why was this thread even made? He didn't give up a single run in spring training, and continued as such last night.
...He gave up the losing run. No matter what he did this spring, he's never really been an effective ML pitcher other than 15 innings last year. There were much better options for almost no money in free agency, I am questioning why we didn't go with these better options.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
...He gave up the losing run. No matter what he did this spring, he's never really been an effective ML pitcher other than 15 innings last year. There were much better options for almost no money in free agency, I am questioning why we didn't go with these better options.
My mistake. I had thought it was Pena.

Either way, I'm fine with him as long as used properly. I think the bullpen is a minor thing to worry about when compared to the offense.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:

Either way, I'm fine with him as long as used properly. I think the bullpen is a minor thing to worry about when compared to the offense.
The winning run was charged to Williams, but Pena gave up the hit that drove in the run.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 04-08-2010, 11:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

The run was charged to Williams, but Pena gave up the go ahead hit.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

You're not wrong. Williams had a scoreless inning, then gave up a 1 out single and was yanked to watch Pena allow that run to score.

Williams may or may not be worthy of a spot on team, but he does not deserve scorn because of what he did last night.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

randy williams is a poor man's neal cotts and neal cotts and matt thornton are on a completely different level. that being said, you need a second left MRP whether it's neal cotts or randy williams and the sox really don't have anyone better right now
Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 AM
MMXXIII

I thought Williams was fine last night.

Pena? He sucks.

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
1-2

LAST GAME: May 22 - Sox 3, Twins 2
NEXT GAME: June 8 - Sox vs. Astros
Old 04-08-2010, 11:50 AM
WSI Prelate

I like Randy just fine. He did all right last night. Pena is the one who worries me, aside from Linebrink. Where are the countdown clocks for those two pitchers?

7-15-11

Team Mexico
Team USA
Es mejor vivir un día como un león, que cien años como un cordero.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:51 AM
WSI Guru

Besides the fact that I think Williams is fine, he's the only lefty in the 'pen not named Matt Thornton. That alone should be reason enough.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:51 AM
WSI Personality

I agree, Pena sucks
Old 04-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

Yesterday was a perfect example of why the Sox need at least two lefties in the pen. In their division it is absolutely necessary.

During the off season I was hoping for an upgrade over Williams. However, I do think that he's probably adequate.

I'd rather have another stud lefty in the pen but there are other priorities on this team now - and they are on the other side of the ball.

The pitching will give this team a chance to win almost every day. If the opposing starter walks 6 and strikes out 1 but you can only manage two hits the whole game then you've got different problems.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:56 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoCrede View Post
I like Randy just fine. He did all right last night. Pena is the one who worries me, aside from Linebrink. Where are the countdown clocks for those two pitchers?
Not until October, 2011 for Linebrink.