White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2010, 12:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Flowers hit his 12th HR tonight. Also had a single and a walk. He's now homered in 5 of his last 6 games.

He's been on fire ever since he supposedly ditched the Walker adjustments.
Granted it's only a minor leaguer but that doesn't bode well for Mr. Walker.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 06-14-2010, 01:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Granted it's only a minor leaguer but that doesn't bode well for Mr. Walker.

The last four years haven't boded well for Walker, yet he's still coaching. Unfortunately, I think at long as Ozzie's the manager, Walker will be the hitting coach.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Morel is playing SS tonight for some reason.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Flowers with another HR in tonight's game. Number 13 on the season.

Dayan has also homered and doubled.

Meanwhile Jordan Danks continues to suck with 3 K's.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:01 PM
WSI High Priest

I think by now, we can all assume that Flowers just needs to ignore Walker and hit the way he knows how to hit.

Dayan's power is showing nicely. Could end up being an asset when that plate patience is brought up to average.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:57 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Dayan's power is showing nicely. Could end up being an asset when that plate patience is brought up to average.

I'm excited about him. I know he still has some holes in his game, but he's only 21 years old. He could stay in AAA two more years and still get to the majors at a younger age than Flowers and Danks. As long as he's willing to work on his craft, he could be very good.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:00 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Morel is playing SS tonight for some reason.
Viciedo is at 3rd. Hmmm.,,,
Old 06-15-2010, 12:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsoxfan View Post
Viciedo is at 3rd. Hmmm.,,,
That isn't too out of the ordinary for Dayan. He's played 3rd numerous times this year, and it was his initial position.

Morel hasn't ever played SS while in the White Sox system. It might just be an attempt to keep him in the lineup. Who knows though. Something to keep an eye on at least.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Viciedo hits his 13th bomb, Danks his 3rd.

Morel back at 3rd. No need to get worked up.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 PM
WSI Regular

If my numbers are correct...

Carlos Torres in 13 starts - 3.22 ERA with 73 K in 78.1 innings.

Dan Hudson(minus the 9 ER over 1 inning start) - 2.82 ERA with 84 K in 70.1 innings.

I like it, along with Viciedo showing an obvious improvement in strength(12 HR over 504 AB in AA last season, 13 HR over 233 AB in AAA this season). I wouldn't mind him coming up as a DH, but he must improve at hitting with runners on because he's awful at that right now.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:26 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandWhiteSox View Post

Dan Hudson(minus the 9 ER over 1 inning start) - 2.82 ERA with 84 K in 70.1 innings.

I like it, along with Viciedo showing an obvious improvement in strength(12 HR over 504 AB in AA last season, 13 HR over 233 AB in AAA this season). I wouldn't mind him coming up as a DH, but he must improve at hitting with runners on because he's awful at that right now.
You consider it a skill? And you think the sample size for Dayan with runners on (90AB), is large enough to form an opinion on?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:29 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
Quote:
You consider it a skill?
Yes, I think situational hitting requires different approaches at the plate.

Quote:
And you think the sample size for Dayan with runners on (90AB), is large enough to form an opinion on?
It's large enough to determine if he's struggling in that area or not this year, wouldn't you agree? More specifically I meant with RISP where he's hitting .183, wouldn't you agree that he's struggled so far this year in that area especially for a middle of the lineup hitter? My mistake if my OP wasn't precise enough in what I was trying to say.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Excited about Viciedo and think the Sox should consider moving him up to the bigs if the Dh situation continues to suffer. Also, he could give Paulie a breather or two whenever he needs it. I like where he is going, and Viciedo seems to be our most talented bat in our system. Good thing we have him under contract for a while.

As for our pitching, we don't really have many spots open unless we trade one away and I would let Hudson make his way to the roster then .

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:24 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Excited about Viciedo and think the Sox should consider moving him up to the bigs if the Dh situation continues to suffer. Also, he could give Paulie a breather or two whenever he needs it. I like where he is going, and Viciedo seems to be our most talented bat in our system. Good thing we have him under contract for a while.

As for our pitching, we don't really have many spots open unless we trade one away and I would let Hudson make his way to the roster then .
Yep, agreed on everything you said. Viciedo's still only 21 years old as well, who knows he might be far from fulfilling his potential. I wasn't all that excited about him after last season, but like I said I'm happy with the improvement in strength and hopefully the move to 1B pans out in the future.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting that we should bring them(Hudson/Torres) up, just posting what I would consider a better indicator of their success in Charlotte. It's great to have quality options if we trade away some of our starting pitching.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:25 PM
WSI High Priest

I am pleased with the improvements that Viciedo made, but I'd rather not hear anything about Viciedo in the majors until next September, for call ups. Even though he will always be a guy who strikes out a lot, I would like for him to see more pitches at AAA and learn how to make adjustments on the fly against that competition, before seeing the majors.