White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 11:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Jeremy Reed takes the place of injured De Aza in Charlotte.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Jeremy Reed takes the place of injured De Aza in Charlotte.
Are you serious? If he ends up in the show as a September call up I would laugh.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Banned

I was hoping that Danks would get his MUCH-deserved demotion back to AA. His offensive numbers suck a horse's ass.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
I was hoping that Danks would get his MUCH-deserved demotion back to AA. His offensive numbers suck a horse's ass.
I have no hope. I wouldn't mind him being a cheap 4th outfielder and defensive replacement at some point, but you know how Ozzie likes to overuse marginal players.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have no hope. I wouldn't mind him being a cheap 4th outfielder and defensive replacement at some point, but you know how Ozzie likes to overuse marginal players.
I see Jordan Danks as an example of a guy who was rushed up. His numbers really weren't that impressive last season, and although his defense is MLB-ready, his bat clearly wasn't even AAA-ready.

Now, the organization lacks the guts to admit a mistake, and send the kid back to AA, where perhaps he can re-find his hitting stroke.

I hated the idea of promoting him last season, since his bat has been a question mark. I hate the idea even more now.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:11 PM
WSI Personality

Danks has had a very up-and-down year in Charlotte. He had a great April, and then an absolutely brutal May. He improved in June and his July numbers are close to his April numbers. His game definitely has holes, and he'll probably always be a high strikeout guy, but I don't think promoting him to Charlotte was a terrible idea.

Last edited by GAsoxfan; 07-14-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Are you serious? If he ends up in the show as a September call up I would laugh.
He's been signed per MLBTR.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...remy-reed.html
Old 08-19-2010, 11:29 AM
WSI High Priest

For those unaware, Morel has been playing SS to accommodate the awful glove of Dayan Viciedo at 3rd.

KG on Morel at SS:

Kevin_Goldstein
Makes the plays he gets to, but limited range. RT @SouthSidelarry: @Kevin_Goldstein heard anything from scouts about morel's defense at SS?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
For those unaware, Morel has been playing SS to accommodate the awful glove of Dayan Viciedo at 3rd.

KG on Morel at SS:

Kevin_Goldstein
Makes the plays he gets to, but limited range. RT @SouthSidelarry: @Kevin_Goldstein heard anything from scouts about morel's defense at SS?
I wonder if he is capable of playing 2b? Theres a little less range needed at 2b when compared to SS and his bat projects rather well there. His slg% even in the minors just doesnt project well to a MLB 3b, but would be more than adequate as a 2b. Could become a much more valuable trade chip for us that way than if he stays at 3B.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:58 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm1119 View Post
I wonder if he is capable of playing 2b? Theres a little less range needed at 2b when compared to SS and his bat projects rather well there. His slg% even in the minors just doesnt project well to a MLB 3b, but would be more than adequate as a 2b. Could become a much more valuable trade chip for us that way than if he stays at 3B.
Judging a player defensively by how he hits has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen, I have to wonder if it even works for fantasy baseball.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Judging a player defensively by how he hits has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen, I have to wonder if it even works for fantasy baseball.
Defense doesn't matter in fantasy baseball, but slotting players by position is a popular strategy. For instance there is a scarcity of good bats at 2B compared to the OF or 1B so you will often see 2B drafted much higher for similar production.

I don't know if you actually wanted an explanation, but you got one.

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 08-19-2010, 08:37 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
He wasn't judging Morel's defense based on his offensive numbers. Saying that a player projects better at a certain position is more about matching their offensive potential up to a position on the field. A player who doesn't walk or hit for power plays better in a middle infield position, as opposed to a power position like 3B or 1B.

Ideally you'd like to maximize the offensive ability of a team, and sticking a player like Brent Morel at 3B is unlikely to do that.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Remember how "experts" were bashing the Sox for having Pods in left field, where left fielders are expected to hit for power?
I think Morel at third will work as long as Beckham (not a power hitting position) and Ramirez are productive.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:12 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
He wasn't judging Morel's defense based on his offensive numbers. Saying that a player projects better at a certain position is more about matching their offensive potential up to a position on the field. A player who doesn't walk or hit for power plays better in a middle infield position, as opposed to a power position like 3B or 1B.

Ideally you'd like to maximize the offensive ability of a team, and sticking a player like Brent Morel at 3B is unlikely to do that.
I ain't buying a bit of that.

A player defends his position on his ability to play his position, what he does at the plate means nothing in this perspective. The rest is fantasy baseball think that has no basis in fact or reality.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:20 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Remember how "experts" were bashing the Sox for having Pods in left field, where left fielders are expected to hit for power?
I think Morel at third will work as long as Beckham (not a power hitting position) and Ramirez are productive.
I'm not following your logic. Scott Podsednik sucked.