White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2010, 05:54 PM
WSI Regular

Default Target Field

Watching Twinks / Cards on MLB Network right now. Target Field looks great. So much better than the baggie dome!
Old 04-02-2010, 08:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Saw it too. Looks nice. Warm weather helped.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:43 PM
WSI High Priest

My friend who works for the Cardinals is up in Minneapolis for the short exhibition series. He e-mailed me this picture and said I'm going to love this place when I go up there in July.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Target Field.jpg (54.0 KB, 171 views)
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 04-02-2010, 10:23 PM
WSI Regular

I was at the game tonight, great stadium.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Banned

I like. I think that when done well, upper deck in the outfield looks great.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm excited because I will no longer dread the SOX road trips into Minnesota. I am also excited because I think the Twins are going to lose their artificial home "dome" advantage they have had over the years. I really don't think the Twins were the better team, rather the opposing visiting teams played flat hoping to escape with a win or two.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

I am so happy that the Twins are out of the dome. Target field looks like every other baseball field built in the last 15 years.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:23 AM

Looks like a place where baseball can be played, as opposed to . . . I don't even know, indoor golf?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueprint1 View Post
I am so happy that the Twins are out of the dome. Target field looks like every other baseball field built in the last 15 years.
Really, there's only so much you can do with a baseball field. I'm glad they didn't build in the phony "quirks" that so many others have, like flagpoles in play, or weird angles just for the hell of it.

A major feature of the park is the use of Mankato Kasota stone, a limestone variant native to my area. The Kasota quarry that they got it from is only a couple of miles from my house, and I've purchased a couple of stones from them myself. So, it's a little point of civic pride for Mankato.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 04-03-2010, 01:52 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Really, there's only so much you can do with a baseball field. I'm glad they didn't build in the phony "quirks" that so many others have, like flagpoles in play, or weird angles just for the hell of it.
They do have the overhang in RF, though nothing like that monstrosity in Houston. That place has it all, what a terrible design.

Mark Gonzales tweeted that the Twins announcers said the infield appears to be very slow. Good. No more 20 foot choppers and no more fast infield. We wouldn't even have had to go to a one game playoff in 2008 if it wasn't for that cheap ass fast infield.

Last edited by oeo; 04-03-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:26 AM
WSI High Priest

They also have something most teams are getting away from---organ music.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:45 AM
WSI Personality

Saw it on tv anyone else notice that there was like25 seats per row. That would suck with all the people passing by. That's what's great about uscf lower bowl like 8 seats per row
Old 04-03-2010, 08:27 AM
WSI Prelate

A Twin Cities TV meteorologist wrote that he expects spring and fall prevailing NW winds to carry fly balls toward RF, while prevailing SE winds in summer will blow in from right.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:48 AM
WSI 2017 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post

A major feature of the park is the use of Mankato Kasota stone, a limestone variant native to my area. The Kasota quarry that they got it from is only a couple of miles from my house, and I've purchased a couple of stones from them myself. So, it's a little point of civic pride for Mankato.
I remember seeing that from the initial renderings and thought it was a cool look. Also, the park seems wedged in a city block that makes it's shape the way it is, with the 'small' bleachers and the OF overhang; I like that feel, too, unique but not forced or fake.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
15: 3-3.
16: 1-0.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
They do have the overhang in RF, though nothing like that monstrosity in Houston. That place has it all, what a terrible design.
Speak for yourself. I love Minute Maid park. Especially the hill and flagpole.