White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2010, 12:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Keith Law

Keith Law has rated the White Sox farm system, based on its current inventory of players, (which DQ's Beckham) the worst in baseball. Of course you must take it with a little grain of salt as Mr. Law usually has nothing nice to say about anything related to the White Sox.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Keith Law has rated the White Sox farm system, based on its current inventory of players, (which DQ's Beckham) the worst in baseball. Of course you must take it with a little grain of salt as Mr. Law usually has nothing nice to say about anything related to the White Sox.
A pretty tiny grain of salt, though. The Astros have made enough progress to pass us.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:20 PM
WSI High Priest

An accurate assessment. It's terrible.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:34 PM
WSI High Priest

I like Keith Law, and he is probably right. Our Farm is incredibly thin, but it should be, we cleared out almost 99% of our pitching depth to get Peavy. And we would all do it again.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

I don't think you can complain too much when we have graduated Beckham, Getz, Richard in the past year and have Hudson who looks like a very good pitching prospect. Would you rather have Poreda, Carter, Russell, Richard in the system or Peavy on the ML roster?

I don't think we have any depth in the system at all but our top 10-15 is not that bad. We don't have any real impact players (possibly Dayan, Mitchell if they develop further) though and that's really what they base these lists on. It's possible to rebuild a farm system in a couple years if they make scouting and development a priority. The Rangers went from 27th ranked in 2007 to 1st in 2009 (according to BA). With the rotation the Sox have they seem to be set up for the next few years to compete.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 01-27-2010, 12:41 PM
WSI High Priest

The Peavy trade is fine and dandy, but the top 15 is nowhere close to solid. It's horrendous. After Hudson, Flowers, and Mitchell, the system falls off a cliff.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:51 PM
WSI High Priest

An aside, this is why the Sox need(ed) to sign a competent DH this year. Trading off top prospects for a bat mid-season will not be pretty.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:19 PM
WSI Personality

KW's job is to field a team to win the World Series, not to field a team to win the Double AA championship. KW seems to use his higher ranked prospects as trade bait.

I'd rather trade prospects to get studs like Peavy than hoping a prospect hits his ceiling rather than his floor.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog1017 View Post
KW's job is to field a team to win the World Series, not to field a team to win the Double AA championship. KW seems to use his higher ranked prospects as trade bait.

I'd rather trade prospects to get studs like Peavy than hoping a prospect hits his ceiling rather than his floor.
That's right, however, the better prospects you have the easier fielding contending teams become. For one, you can trade better prospects for better players. Another is you can pay them peanuts and spend the saved money on big parts.

I think, and I take what Law says with a grain of salt, what his rankings say, is guys like Jordan Danks, Mitchell and Viciedo aren't very highly thought of throughout the scouting community, at least they aren't considered potential stars like a lot of fan message boards believe them to be. I do know Law likes Flowers.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I like Keith Law, and he is probably right. Our Farm is incredibly thin, but it should be, we cleared out almost 99% of our pitching depth to get Peavy. And we would all do it again.
Law didn't like the system before that. IIRC, he ranked it in the bottom 5 last year, while most people were ranking it in the 10-15 range.

He just doesn't like the way the Sox operate. Oh well, funny that we have nothing down there, yet every year some other team wants pieces from it. Darn you Keith Law, we have everyone fooled but you!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
I don't think you can complain too much when we have graduated Beckham, Getz, Richard in the past year and have Hudson who looks like a very good pitching prospect. Would you rather have Poreda, Carter, Russell, Richard in the system or Peavy on the ML roster?

I don't think we have any depth in the system at all but our top 10-15 is not that bad. We don't have any real impact players (possibly Dayan, Mitchell if they develop further) though and that's really what they base these lists on. It's possible to rebuild a farm system in a couple years if they make scouting and development a priority. The Rangers went from 27th ranked in 2007 to 1st in 2009 (according to BA). With the rotation the Sox have they seem to be set up for the next few years to compete.
1. Flowers
2. Hudson
3. Mitchell
4. Danks
5. Dayan
6. Morel
7. .....?

Our system goes 6 deep and then falls off, not a cliff, but a mountain. Not sure where youre getting 10-15 from. Law had every right to rank us dead last.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm1119 View Post
1. Flowers
2. Hudson
3. Mitchell
4. Danks
5. Dayan
6. Morel
7. .....?

Our system goes 6 deep and then falls off, not a cliff, but a mountain. Not sure where youre getting 10-15 from. Law had every right to rank us dead last.
You only have the right to say that if you know about the other 29 teams.

BTW, it's usually only about 5 guys that make or break these rankings anyway.

Last edited by oeo; 01-27-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
An aside, this is why the Sox need(ed) to sign a competent DH this year. Trading off top prospects for a bat mid-season will not be pretty.
I can agree to this.

And, as we've seen in recent years, when the SOX start the season with a relatively-complete team [2005/2008], they tend to compete. When they have huge gaping holes [as in 2007, 2009, and possibly 2010] the results have not been as good.

What's more is that I don't recall a midseason pickup being crucial to turning the SOX's fortunes in recent years. Griffey, Jr. was not the reason why the SOX won the division in 2008, for example. Similarly, neither Rios nor Peavy were able to turn the tide for the 2009 White Sox.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Law didn't like the system before that. IIRC, he ranked it in the bottom 5 last year, while most people were ranking it in the 10-15 range.

He just doesn't like the way the Sox operate. Oh well, funny that we have nothing down there, yet every year some other team wants pieces from it. Darn you Keith Law, we have everyone fooled but you!
Uh...[citation needed]
Old 01-27-2010, 03:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
Uh...[citation needed]
Jim Callis had it ranked at 14. I honestly can't find any of the other rankings without paying money.